Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Re: Random crap

Post by hoosegow » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:03 am

Yessir

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:04 am

How would you like to photagraph this Matt?:

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:28 am

He could!

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:51 am

IceDane wrote: I read KPj's "Thoughts on personal training" and read that he had had a hamstring tear, something related with deadlifts. If someone like KPj tore a hamstring pulling weights around the same weight I'm about to pull, it makes it that more daunting. But I know that if I let this affect me, I will have a mental barrier that will possibly be harder to get over than a physical.
Actually, and embarrassingly, I tore my hamstring doing what can only be described as "Max Effort Stretching". It was a game played at a party for a gym night out just over a year ago. It's called, "The Cereal Box Game". You get an empty cereal box, put it on the floor, and pick it up with your teeth. The only thing that can have contact with the ground is your feet - no knees or hands. When it's went round everyone, you tear off a few inches and start again. The shorter the box becomes the more difficult it is to get and people end up losing. You repeat this until your down to the last person. I didn't have much to drink by this point but i'm very competitive. One of the techniques is to put your legs out wide (towards the splits), and bend forward to grab the box. This is what I chose. I actually used to be able to do the splits when I was younger and could get pretty close at this point so it was a good choice.

Anyway, the men were out of the game relatively quickly and it was basically me and 3 women, 2 were personal trainers and one was a Pilates instructor. It got to the point where it was just a flat piece of card sitting on the floor which is where I was really struggling. I got as far into the splits as I could then had to "bounce" my upper body/head forward to get to it, which I did. However, my hamstring popped, very loudly, and started to hurt straight away. The next day I could barely walk and the rest is history. I did win, btw, but in hindsight, it wasn't worth it as it screwed up a years worth of progress. Also, to be fair, the Pilates instructor would of won easily, however, the clothes she was wearing meant that she would only be able to continue at the expense of her dignity, so she quit.

The only good thing to come of this is that I can technically say I got injured stretching so it's good "ammo" when people say that lifting heavy things will get you injured, and you need to stretch to prevent injury. Of course, I stretched like an idiot but at the same time, that's the point :wink:

Anyway, how did 200KG go? That was a big barrier for me. It never did feel any lighter. I'm not far off hitting it again so i'm getting quite excited.

KPj

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:00 am

Jesus Hoosegow, next time you do that let me know - ill get a $900 flight to eat like that :)

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:11 am

February the 18th RobertB. It's the last big hunt until the fall. I don't know what all we are cooking, yet. I guarantee it will be a lot and really good.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:41 pm

"How would you like to photagraph this Matt?:" - hoosegow

Very cool. Where did you find this? I'm actually looking foreward to photographing hummingbirds with my new lens this summer.

IceDane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IceDane » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:41 am

KPj wrote:
IceDane wrote: I read KPj's "Thoughts on personal training" and read that he had had a hamstring tear, something related with deadlifts. If someone like KPj tore a hamstring pulling weights around the same weight I'm about to pull, it makes it that more daunting. But I know that if I let this affect me, I will have a mental barrier that will possibly be harder to get over than a physical.
Actually, and embarrassingly, I tore my hamstring doing what can only be described as "Max Effort Stretching". It was a game played at a party for a gym night out just over a year ago. It's called, "The Cereal Box Game". You get an empty cereal box, put it on the floor, and pick it up with your teeth. The only thing that can have contact with the ground is your feet - no knees or hands. When it's went round everyone, you tear off a few inches and start again. The shorter the box becomes the more difficult it is to get and people end up losing. You repeat this until your down to the last person. I didn't have much to drink by this point but i'm very competitive. One of the techniques is to put your legs out wide (towards the splits), and bend forward to grab the box. This is what I chose. I actually used to be able to do the splits when I was younger and could get pretty close at this point so it was a good choice.

Anyway, the men were out of the game relatively quickly and it was basically me and 3 women, 2 were personal trainers and one was a Pilates instructor. It got to the point where it was just a flat piece of card sitting on the floor which is where I was really struggling. I got as far into the splits as I could then had to "bounce" my upper body/head forward to get to it, which I did. However, my hamstring popped, very loudly, and started to hurt straight away. The next day I could barely walk and the rest is history. I did win, btw, but in hindsight, it wasn't worth it as it screwed up a years worth of progress. Also, to be fair, the Pilates instructor would of won easily, however, the clothes she was wearing meant that she would only be able to continue at the expense of her dignity, so she quit.

The only good thing to come of this is that I can technically say I got injured stretching so it's good "ammo" when people say that lifting heavy things will get you injured, and you need to stretch to prevent injury. Of course, I stretched like an idiot but at the same time, that's the point :wink:

Anyway, how did 200KG go? That was a big barrier for me. It never did feel any lighter. I'm not far off hitting it again so i'm getting quite excited.

KPj
Ah, I see. That sucks, hard. My whole life would collapse if I would have an injury like that.. no work, no gym, no school. But wouldn't there have had to be something wrong with your hamstring if you tore it stretching like that, with no weight or anything? As in, accumulated stress or something?

At any rate.. not sure if I already wrote it somewhere.. but I failed miserably. The night before, as I mentioned, I slept badly and dreamt about deadlifts. In school, the day I meant to pull it, I read your hamstring thing, and some stupid stuff about biceps tears with mixed grips and so on.

When I finally stood in front of the loaded barbell, and bent down to grab it, my feet were shaking a bit. I wasn't "scared".. or "nervous".. but completely fxxking .. well, psyched "down"? In the back of my mind I had probably convinced myself I couldn't deadlift it, or something.
I did two tries, and both times I only lifted the bar a couple of inches off the floor. I didn't even keep pulling, though I probably should've. Then I dropped down to 170 kg, which I did for sets of 5 the monday before, and I could barely pull a single rep. Even 150 kg, which I had done for sets of 8-10 was hard as hell.
I did get drunk at a party the saturday before, which may have had an impact, but I'm pretty sure it was mainly psychological.
People were looking, as no one at my gym really knows what they're doing. Never seen anyone deadlift any weight but like.. 80 kg or something. And a guy who was there, who thinks he can squat 200 kg because he loads 200 kg on the smith and then bends his knees so that his butt is lowered about 10 cm, asked me if I wanted to borrow his straps, which he uses for everything, even 30 kg DB rows.

I've decided to stop thinking of it, and try doing some rackpulls. Or well, I can't do them at my gym without major setup issues, but I'm switching in february and that gym should have a proper rack to do it in. I've also decided to start making an effort to eat a whole lot more, as I'm running around with a caloric deficit most of the time. So.. yeah. When I'm repping 180 kg+, I'll go ahead and pull 200, even though it may be a conservative 1RM try.

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:44 am

IceDane wrote:
Ah, I see. That sucks, hard. My whole life would collapse if I would have an injury like that.. no work, no gym, no school. But wouldn't there have had to be something wrong with your hamstring if you tore it stretching like that, with no weight or anything? As in, accumulated stress or something?
lol, yeah it does but i'm used to being a victim of my own stupidity so I just got on with it. First couple of injuries I had I would stop training altogether and felt completely demoralised but, as the saying goes, 'strength training is a marathon and not a sprint', there will always be hurdles and I think how you deal with them is a big factor in shaping your long term success. In reality this one "only" meant I couldn't squat and DL so there was plenty of other things I could/did do.

Also, I did have "stuff" going on with that side before it happened so I think you're right.

Unlucky on the 200kg attempt. It sounds like it was just "a bad day", to be honest. Sometimes it just doesn't come together and the smart (or should I say, "wise") lifter will know when this is the case and quit while they're ahead i.e. bail out on the PB attempt and just get a decent session in. However, it takes a few bad days to develop the self control to do that - the "meathead" in you always tries to take over. I wouldn't over analysis it, just keep doing what you're doing. I've hit more than a few PB's feeling like crap with limited sleep, too much work and not enough food, and i've missed plenty of PB attempts despite dialling everything in for days (if not longer) prior and feeling fantastic.

One thing I can say is don't let a number become your nemesis. This happens all the time and sometimes you don't realise it. You begin to fear that particular lift, and especially that particular weight. A little fear can help because you take things more seriously but too much and you're beat before you even touch the bar. I'm a huge believer in the psychological side of this - if you think you'll miss, you probably will. I've often started unloading the bar when the person lifting has said something like, "i don't think i'll get this" as or before they set up. I just think the odds are greatly in favour of failing if you have your mind set on failing therefore, if this is the case, live to fight another day.

I think you're doing the right thing by trying to stop thinking about it. Also, rack pulls are great if for anything, building confidence with heavy weights. Being able to rep 200KG from your knees makes the task of lifting it once from the floor a lot less daunting.

On top of that, really dial in your set up. I assume you've probably done this already, at least to some extent. As well as the technical aspects of the lift, the set up is like mental prep for it, too. If you have a step by step process and mindset you do every time you DL, then you will develop a real awareness for whether it's going to be a good day or not. Same with the warm up weights, even 60KG, set up like it's 200KG and lift it with the same intent. On a good day you'll feel yourself "light up" and you'll just know it's game time. On bad day you'll know well before you get to 200KG, things "just won't feel right" or the lighter weights won't feel as fast as they normally do.

When I get that "game time" feeling, I literally feel my heart rate increase during the set up and feel some adrenalin pumping. It's a "state" that, when i'm in it, I just know I won't miss. If I don't experience it then I get the fear. It's not completely black and white but I find this to be the case most of the time.

KPj

IceDane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IceDane » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks for the advice. I have to admit, I hadn't thought of it that way. I really need to do that, yeah. Now that I'm switching gyms, I'll be working out with some people I know and that may help get me fired up.

Regarding the rack pull; yeah, that's what I was thinking. I don't find it unlikely to be able to rep 200 kg from the get go in the rack pull. So getting used to the weights is precisely one of the reason I decided to do it.

Again, thanks a lot for the advice. I really appreciate someone more experienced sharing their wisdom.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:56 am

Someone sent it to me via email.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:26 am

I found the source of that photo:
http://dailypicksandflicks.com/2011/09/ ... e-gallery/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:09 am

Last night I've had sleep paralysis.
I read some time ago that you can have hallucinations (the non pleasant kind) during sleep paralysis.
So I tried to forcefully move myself and didn't open my eyes, it took about a minute before I could move.

FUBAR

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Wouter wrote:Last night I've had sleep paralysis.
I read some time ago that you can have hallucinations (the non pleasant kind) during sleep paralysis.
So I tried to forcefully move myself and didn't open my eyes, it took about a minute before I could move.

FUBAR
a mate of mine has all kinds of crazy stuff like that happen. He sort of half wakes up sometimes and thinks that there's someone in his room trying to kill him but he can't move. Other nights he wakes up on his bedroom floor with no idea how he got there. It's pretty crazy.

He also made the mistake of telling me and my mates about how he used to have a recurring nightmare that aliens would come into his bedroom at night, and he'd try and scream for help but wouldn't be able to.

I think he expected sympathy, but we've been ripping him for getting probed ever since

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:27 pm

when sleeping under a fan, in cool whether, with no covering, I would regularly have a very short dream that culminated in me being in a small car out in the middle of nowhere and suddenly it would be pitch black, and I was "frozen", paralized, with an overwhleming sense that someone was coming towards the car, but I could not see them, in the total darkness.
I would wake up, with a chill.
I sleep covered always now.