Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

stuward

Re: Random crap

Post by stuward » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:09 pm

"One up from where I had them, and I wouldn't be able to lightly touch my chest before pushing up. "
Try setting the bench on some 25# plates. That's what I have to do. It actually improves the leg position for tall guys.

Were you using a thumb-less grip?

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:12 pm

I had a little accident on Friday. I caught a a finger between 2 kettlebells. A few hours later the finger swelled up like a sausage. The swelling is subsiding now but a bruise is spreading out about 2" in all directions from the impact site on both the back of the hand and the palm.

jlmoss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jlmoss » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:57 pm

The weights under the bench sounds like a really good idea, thanks. I'll try that.

Nope, thumb wrapped around. I'm guessing I just didn't have my wrists locked and let the bar rotate a little too far forward.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:13 pm

the worst gym accident I've ever had was dropping a safety bar from a squat rack onto my toe. The irony of this is not lost on me. I work out barefoot and it was AGONY.

I put on a brave face and finished my squats though

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:07 pm

Maybe you could adjust the height of the bench--small pieces of board or plywood for each leg? Or something on the bars to give a little more height.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:59 pm

yep, I do some boards underneath bench

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:07 am

Jungledoc wrote:Maybe you could adjust the height of the bench--small pieces of board or plywood for each leg? Or something on the bars to give a little more height.
This was written without noticing that there was another page. Yep, plates are the same idea.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:53 am

my new girlfriend's agreed to let me train her. I took her to the gym yesterday and showed her a fairly typical full body routine. She has nowhere near the flexibility to squat so we just did lunges instead. The routine was:

Lunges (5 sets)
Dumbell Press/Row superset (3 sets)
Step Ups (3 sets with the 3rd being a drop set to crank up the intensity a bit)
Military Press/Pull down superset (3 sets)
Planks (3 x 30s)
Face Pulls/Swiss Ball Leg Curls (3 sets)

took her about an hour to finish including warm up. We timed the rest periods at 90s between sets to make it a bit more like cardio. Rep range was 8-12 on all exercises except the leg curls which were a little higher and obviously the planks were done for time as opposed to reps.

I was really impressed! Her form on everything was pretty much perfect, and she was a bit stronger than I expected. She's gotten right into it too, drinking protein shakes for breakfast and protein bars post-workout. She even went out today to buy a little notebook to log her workouts! She's really good at hitting her protein macro too. The only diet advice I gave her really was to make sure she hit her protein target. She eats pretty clean 90% of the time anyway.

The main thing that I was happy about though was that I could actually train someone! I mean obviously I know all the theory about it, but have never actually put it into practice. It's easy! You just have to remember the form cues which are usually all the same anyway (chest out, shoulders back etc).

Good times!

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:57 pm

My mother's boyfriend gave more than half my clothes away. Is that considered a crime? It's atleast 500$ worth of clothing.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:15 pm

Jebus wrote:My mother's boyfriend gave more than half my clothes away. Is that considered a crime? It's atleast 500$ worth of clothing.
I think you're allowed to psychically harm him for that.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:11 am

Anyone (UK) watch "Then Men Who Made Us Fat" on BBC 2 last night? We could be getting somewhere here, Gary Taubes was even in it! Here's an article about it..

It will be on BBC Iplayer if anyone else wants to use a proxy or something to watch it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012 ... NETTXT9038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:54 am

that was a good read, I'l probably watch the show later today

jlmoss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jlmoss » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:24 am

Nice article but bummer... I can't see the video.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:43 pm

Torn meniscus - bummer. Will be out 4-6 weeks, but should be good to go for my next meet in August.

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:35 pm

hoosegow wrote:Torn meniscus - bummer. Will be out 4-6 weeks, but should be good to go for my next meet in August.
I tell you, having mine snipped was the best thing I ever did. You will be back to squatting and deads before you realize it. Within 3 1/2 weeks I was back to squats with an empty bar on my back.