Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Random crap

Post by robertscott » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:59 am

Jebus wrote:NO I freaked out and it ran away.
how rude. Poor little guy just wanted a lickin'

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:26 pm

robertscott wrote:
Jebus wrote:NO I freaked out and it ran away.
how rude. Poor little guy just wanted a lickin'
I can't imagine why, I was throwing a pillow at him the night before. He kept scratching around and I couldn't sleep. lol

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:27 am

I'm pretty sure I got chatted up at the gym the other day. By a girl no less!

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:59 am

Like a real live normal girl?

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:06 am

yeah, like a real actual female human being. I was a little thrown by the experience

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:12 pm

I hear you. I was chatted up by a girl one time. Turned out to be a tranny.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:30 am

just flip him over, aye?

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:33 am

I was listening to the radio and they were having a discussion about child obesity. Not really what you would think, they were actually debating whether or not it would make things better or worse, or hurt the feelings of the child, if you were to say, "you are getting fat, we don't want you to get any more fat, so we are going to address the problem together, so other kids at school don't call you fat".

They had a child psychologist on, too. I was hoping to find her input refreshing. I was equally as disgusted, "children are actually ok if you talk to them straight. Adults think they can't speak to children frankly about problems but, they can."

They were talking specifically about addressing a 10-11 year old.

Now, i'm not a parent, so I shouldn't judge but, i'm going to anyway because this is an internet forum and there's nothing anyone can do to me. I did have a dog growing up, I was mostly responsible for it. It lived a long and healthy life. It had a good diet and got lots of activity. My friend had a dog who was extremely over weight, it just ate, slept, and waddled around his farm. See where i'm going with this?

Who is responsible for what an 11 year old eats, and how much exercise or activity an 11 year old gets? Is it the 11 year old? Does the 11 year old cook their own meals, and earn their own money to go buy their own food?

Maybe they need to be "frank" with the parents. Maybe they need a Parent Psychologist on, to encourage parents to speak frankly to each other, "hey, we have made our 11 year old overweight, its OUR problem, and WE need to address it".

OMG

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:02 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/opini ... .html?_r=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This ties in with Kpj's post. Although parents have a huge role to play, so does government.

"...the trial suggests that among the bad decisions we can make to maintain our weight is exactly what the government and medical organizations like the American Heart Association have been telling us to do: eat low-fat, carbohydrate-rich diets, even if those diets include whole grains and fruits and vegetables." - Taubes

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:21 am

Thanks for that, I shall steal and circulate.

I can just imagine all the gullible listeners of that radio show with fat kids, sitting them down, "look.... You're fat. Yip, Fat. And all the other kids in school who aren't fat are going to call you fat, unless you do something about it, fatty".

Lets cure child obesity with eating disorders!

My g/f once said something about kids and eating which has always stuck with me,

"The one choice kids can make about what to eat is to not eat it at all"...

KPj

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:06 am

Big rant coming, grab some pop corn, or ignore. The choice is yours.

Been having an interesting issue with an idiot in the gym recently. It's made me realise why, for a while, I hated bodybuilding. See, I would class myself as a "closet bodybuilder", and I had to remind myself of that when moving house a couple of years ago and rediscovering all my old bodybuilding books - and pumping iron DVD. It's not what I'm about personally but, bodybuilding does fascinate me, and I have a world of respect for bodybuilders, and I continue to learn a lot from them. For a while though, I had a bad attitude towards it. I know why that is now.

Commercial gyms and Personal Training ruined it for me.

In the commercial gym environment and the personal training industry, in general, for the most part, anything related to lifting weights is "bodybuilding". Personal Training certs actually just teach you very basic bodybuilding methods, through a bodybuilders lens. It's just annoying in that respect. Dynamic Effort? huh? Wtf? You should lift slow and controlled.... feel the burn..... shhhhhhh...... Just. No.

Then the idiots in commercial gyms. The ones that give bodybuilding a bad name, and make you embarrassed to say you like the sport (or, Art?). Of course, these people are NOT bodybuilders but, to the laymen, that's exactly what they are.

You get one specific kind of idiot - the Jonny Bravo of the gym. Juiced up, trains like an idiot, but trains hard, eats well, has done for a few years. BIG upper body, tooth pic legs, no a$$. There's on in my gym like this and he likes to think he's the Gym Police. If people leave weights lying around, he marches up and aggressively makes them put them away. Sounds good in principle, right? It's just annoying. It's also management via intimidation, by someone who isn't even staff. He also marches up to put people right if he thinks they're doing things wrong. Example - bringing the bar to a DEAD stop during DEADlifts, and making a little noise in the process (not slamming, though). You can see where this is going?

He's friendly with a female client I train who also happens to be one of my strongest. So, he's been gradually making stupid comments to her about how she trains. I've just ignored it but, he's getting more bold. You need to picture this - i'm 5'7, 180, and don't know what a Bicep curl is. This guys about 5'11, looks about 240-250, quite lean, 18 inch arms, etc. Massive upper body. First thing that happened was weeks ago, he came up during the DL session my client was doing and said, "if you keep deadlifting like that, you'll end up with a back like mine". I instantly responded, "well explain why my back isn't much bigger than yours, since I can DL almost double what you can???". No response, and tension has gradually ensued since. I knew I knocked his nose out of joint, I just didn't know when he would start again.

Fast forward a few weeks to Saturday. I walked in the juice bar area of my gym and he was there, speaking out loud about how a female trainer has the nicest a$$ you've ever seen (she was standing there, looking intimidated). It was very awkward. For the red blooded males here (all of you), the comment is accurate but, it's the delivery I have an issue with. He then turned to me, "is that not the nicest a$$ you've ever seen?". I just shook my head. I wish I said something else, looking back but, hindsight is good like that.

He then said, looking at my chalk-box, "you need to stop bringing in that chalk, it's all over that gym floor". I was still angry from not saying something to him earlier and said, "You NEED chalk when you lift HEAVY things, it doesn't surprise me that you don't understand that."

Tumbleweed blowing extremely slowly across the way.....

The female trainer pounced, "YES!! for lifting HEAVY! YOU won't know anything about that, will you????"

He stormed to the free weights area to start his workout. I then got down there with another client. As we're setting up to deadlift, and bear in mind, he's complained about the noise of the bar when clients lower it, he lets out this massive roar/scream, for about 20 seconds, doing decline DB bench press. I couldn't help myself, "Davie... You're making a bit of noise there, that's not good gym etiquette. And are you ok? Sounded like you just sh*t your spleen?".

His response was pathetic, "thought you were lifitng heavy and that's why you needed the chalk". I Said, "well, you'll notice that she's not chalked up yet, as this is a warm up set, but she'll be pulling close to your max in 5 minutes or so, don't worry."

The client, who also knows him, said, "you probably couldn't even lift this". It was 50KG. He said, "i'm lifting that with one hand". I looked around confused and said, "not sure what school you went to but, you're lifting 38KG DB's, that's 50KG on the bar......".

Later he made another comment when the client was showing me her callouses (lol), saying, "he won't have callouses because he uses his chalk". This confused me as much as it will anyone else and, for the record, I have a nice set of callouses lol. I just let go, "look at you, you're lifting 38KG dbs, to press, and you need to strap up. You wear those straps when you drink a cup of coffee. I use chalk because I HOLD ON TO the weights I lift. I don't tie myself to the bar with straps because I don't have the grip strength of an 8 year old girl."

I honestly expected anything here and not because I was scared for my safety but, because i'm supposed act in a professional manner and I was losing it. It was one of those moments that after I said it I thought, "i shouldn't of said that". I'm quite bad for those moments, my sister calls it Foot-in-Mouth-Disease. He just grinned and walked away. It was hard to not start thumping my chest and roaring like Tarzan.

This is has just been slowly building up though. This is the short version of the story, too, there's a lot more and i've tried to be as professional as possible up until now but the bottom line is, he's a bully. He uses his size to intimidate people. If he was skinny no one would take him seriously. He's got away with far too much, too. Members have left because of him and he's had a few warning by management but, ultimately, they are scared to do anything. I just don't believe the crap that comes out his mouth, though, and I can see past those big fluffy arms of his.

He'll either calm down now or it'll get even worse. Time will tell. I reckon he's calm, as he told one of my clients afterwards that I was "a very serious person" and, "you can't really joke around with him, you don't know how to take him".

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:32 am

haha you're gonna have to use that Muay Thai training I think Kenny. As for this:
KPj wrote:he told one of my clients afterwards that I was "a very serious person" and, "you can't really joke around with him, you don't know how to take him".

KPj
let it be known to all who read the forum that Kenny is lots of fun to train with, and enjoys a laugh and a joke around as much as anyone else, if not more.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:00 am

robertscott wrote:haha you're gonna have to use that Muay Thai training I think Kenny.
haha. It crossed my mind that it may come to that but, I've basically called his bluff. A couple of months ago, a member apparently "stared" at him, and he marched up and told the guy, "if you stare at me again, i'll punch you through that window". It baffles me that management let him stay in the gym after this. I think what i've said to him is much worse than staring at him and i've had no hint of being "punched through a window". I think he's a story-teller who discovered roids.

A few months ago I seen the guy trying to punch the bag and it was laughable, then he injured his wrist because obviously he's not figured out how to punch properly. This, coupled with the fact that I'm stronger than him makes him a lot less intimidating.
robertscott wrote: let it be known to all who read the forum that Kenny is lots of fun to train with, and enjoys a laugh and a joke around as much as anyone else, if not more.
haha, thanks. He couldn't of said this to a worse client, either. I have a lot of fun when I train her. One particularly embarrassing session, she had to take a 10 minute time out to finish laughing. It was peak time and we were taking up a squat rack but, every time she tried to set up she just burst out laughing again. I can't remember now what we were talking about though.

I was serious with him, though. I know what he's trying to do - he's trying to be intimidating. He'll pass it off as joking around but that's not it. The client I was training at the time told me about a friend of hers who, basically, done stupid things in the gym. He couldn't train without this guy marching over and telling him how stupid he was. The guy eventually left because of him. So my client told me, "keep answering him back, he's just trying to intimidate you, he doesn't know what to do when you answer him back, he's not used to that". LOL. I love my clients.

I've taken his comments to the client about me being so serious as him backing off. It'll either fade out now and he'll be fine or it'll get worse and I'll need to do something. I spoke to management and told them about it, and told them that i'm just keeping them updated. Also told them about the female trainer - in any other work place that would be a serious issue. The gym shouldn't be any different. I did tell them I think it's over now but, warned that it could potentially get worse. I told them that the "root" of the problem is that he's not had his membership cancelled yet. I don't know of any other situation where a member has got away with so many warnings. They just looked around and nodded awkwardly. They couldn't care less, basically.

KPj

teafan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by teafan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:01 am

My major problem with gym types is that they only listen to people that look like they want to look like. Surely, Usain Bolt’s coach doesn’t look anything like Usain Bolt and can’t run anywhere near as fast as he can but you can’t contest the guys knowledge and ability?

My second major problem is that the average guy in the gym does absolutely no research or investigation around their chosen sport. I’m not saying they have to constantly seek the holy grail and chop and change routine every week, but you’d think they would take an interest in the principles and practices?

Clearly I’m not talking about anyone here but Bodybuilding, together with Cage Fighting, seems to attract a certain type of soul.

My best man has been going to the gym for a decade and is my go-to “sh** shooter”, not because he ever listens or agrees with my blathering but because he will disagree and argue with every single thing you say. I consider it mental sparing and ideal preparation for two sided conversations. A few examples of his wisdom:

Protein doesn’t work. I used to take a protein shake a day for a couple of years and it didn’t do a thing
My diet is fine, I only eat a couple of slices of toast for breakfast, a baked potato with cheese for lunch and a sandwich for dinner
The bench-press should never utilise your abdominals
leg-drive is cheating
200kg on a machine is exactly the same as 200kg on a bar
You should put your feet on the bench as it makes it a “pure chest move”
You should always use machines as you can push more weight
Your chest must be worked at least three times a week
I don’t like training my shoulders
I don’t like training my back
I don’t like training my legs
I’m more of a chest man

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Yesterday, I finished reading "The Temple Tiger and More Man-eaters of Kumaon" by Jim Corbett. Today, I started "The Man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag" also by Jim Corbett.