Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:27 am

Jebus wrote:I went to Toronto yesterday and saw a family driving on the wrong side of the road lol. I also saw a physically disabled person in a wheel chair almost get hid by a vehicle!
This shows that you really didn't have anything of importance to say in the first place. It was only the fact that both drivers were Asian, and your making fun of them was all that gave the post significant at all (although not for the reason you thought). In fact, the drivers' race had nothing to do with anything, and it was just coincidental that they happened to be of the same race. So the post was just something you used to ridicule Asians and "cripples" and nothing more.

The word "cripple" has indeed been used for centuries, and had a neutral connotation for most of that time, just as many racial terms once had neutral connotations. But people have used those terms derisively, and have made them into slurs.

frigginwizard

Post by frigginwizard » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:38 am

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:11 am

BACK to the Randomness......

I'm Hungry..

Cliff

jps
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jps » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:16 am

double whopper w/cheese?

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:25 pm

Ok, well hopefully it's self evident now, why we don't make comments regarding racial stereotypes.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:57 am

This isn't meant in a derogatory way, but its funny how some stereotypes come about. I know stereotypes are just that, stereotypes. I know that stereotyping can be downright dangerous. But it seems some stereotypes aren't particularly that harmful, but I could still see why someone would get offended by them. But, I do have to make a comment. The other day I went to walmart I was leaving the store and they had a bin of watermelons sitting by the exit door. It just so happened that there were about 15 people standing around looking into the bin picking out watermelons, and they all happened to be black. It suddenly occurred to me how some stereotypes get perpetuated...because of one scenario like this. And while I don't think a food stereotype like this gonna really hurt the black community, there are plenty that do.

And while we're on the subject...this is my question...are there any supposed "white people foods"? I've always just been kinda curious...a black man once told me that pumpkin pie and mayo are white people foods, and I had to chuckle a bit.

jps
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jps » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:06 am

Stereotypes crack me up....like...long haired guys are druggies/hippies. Hahahaha! Probably the reason why I have a ponytail halfway down my back at the age of 40. Funny to watch people react and make comments. And even better when they realize I am not a druggie, but appreciate a lot of finer things in life, I wear deoderant, I visit the dentist regularly, drive a clean truck, don't smell like smoke, have a decent vocabulary, etc.........lol

:lol:

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:31 am

I'm obviously not racist and I only said what I said because it's just a sterotypical joke, lol I was laughing mainly because of thier bad driving habits. The fact that they were asian was just an added touch of comedy, to me anyway, I laugh at almost everything. I forget to realize that not everyone has the same sense of humour.

I also didnt mean any harm to the physically disabled people. I used the term cripple because its faster to type and if that person was anything or anybody else I still would have laughed.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:34 pm

You know I have heard mayo was a white thing. The funny thing is, when I worked at this sandwich shop, the vast majority of the people who wanted extra mayo were black.

One time years ago, I was getting food at an employee cafe. I had piled on a bunch of chicken, because I really chicken. There was a black lady ringing me up. It was pretty funny. She laughed and said "Wow, I thought only black folks liked chicken that much."

Now as far as stereotypes go, I could make a case that I am more black than Al Rocher or Wayne Brady. Here are my points.
I love chicken, I will eat a whole bucket full of KFC grilled.
I have an amp and a pair 12's in my trunk. (I don't listen to much rap though.)
I love big thick booty.
I like pork rinds and sometimes I put hot sauce on it.
I eat those big spicy pickles.

But at the same time, I am also a lot like most nerd stereotypes. Which some of them are shared with white and Asian. "White and Nerdy" by Weird Al could be my theme song.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:08 pm

[quote="Ironman"]
I love big thick booty.
quote]

Yes! lol :green:

If I see a girl with a ghetto booty I can't help but look.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Today someone at the gym asked me why I train for strength. I gave him three reasons:
1) I like lifting heavy. I enjoy the challenge and the sense of accomplishment I get every time I set a new personal record.
2) Performance goals are concrete and measurable, while aesthetic goals are subjective.
3) I’m a man, not a peacock. I’d rather be judged by what I can do than by what I look like.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:32 pm

Matt Z wrote:Today someone at the gym asked me why I train for strength. I gave him three reasons:
1) I like lifting heavy. I enjoy the challenge and the sense of accomplishment I get every time I set a new personal record.
2) Performance goals are concrete and measurable, while aesthetic goals are subjective.
3) I’m a man, not a peacock. I’d rather be judged by what I can do than by what I look like.
did u actually say all that?

you should have said, "so I can beat you up mauhaahah"

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:52 am

Jebus wrote:Matt Z wrote:
Today someone at the gym asked me why I train for strength. I gave him three reasons:

did u actually say all that?

you should have said, "so I can beat you up mauhaahah"
Dude, you really do go from strength to strength....and not in a good way.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:56 am

Matt: Great answer!

Rik: Great answer!

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:06 am

Matt Z wrote:Today someone at the gym asked me why I train for strength. I gave him three reasons:

Besides that, strength provides practicality. Cardio provides a little practicality, but running a marathon translates into pretty much just being able to do that. Strength training is good for sports and lots of everyday activities as well (like I'd rather have a stronger person helping me move the washer and dryer up and down the steps :wink: ). Unless you get stuck in the country somewhere 10 miles from civilization...when would you need to be able to run 10 miles?

About aesthetic goals...I have found that they provide benefits other than just looking at yourself in a mirror and flexing and going "yeah...". Your just generally treated better in society, by both women, and men as well (and not just homosexual men). People take a stronger man more seriously than a skin and bones dude or an obese man. Just a simple fact of life.