Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

stuward

Re: Random crap

Post by stuward » Sun May 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Jebus wrote:I cooked and ate liver for the first time, it was really good. I don't know why it has a general dislike...
Because some people overcook it and it's like leather when it's overcooked. My wife doesn't like the smell so I usually have it when she's not home.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Mon May 16, 2011 6:33 am

it's the texture for me, weirds me out

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue May 17, 2011 11:29 am

My g/fs gym friend - "are you coming to circuits tonight?" (a class)

my g/f - "yeh!! Knee pain! bring it on! I love knee pain!" (note heavy blatant sarcasm)

LOL. a girl after my own heart.

She trains with me, lifting heavy things, and teaches Ballet, doing Ballet things, and never gets knee pain. Two bouts of circuits, and she comes out with knee pain both times (she felt it only fair to give it another shot, since she does genuinely enjoy classes). She also mentioned it to the instructor - this is hurting my knee, she said. "yeah, you better watch that"........ Could of been worse - one woman had to leave half way through with help from her "class mates" after badly spraining her ankle doing jumping lunges.

The best of it is, the women with the screwed ankle thinks nothing of it. She thinks it was her OWN fault!!! You can honestly get away with anything in this industry. The women who helped her out of the class also hurt her shoulder. I'm not even joking. This is apparently normal. I didn't really know the "class community" in my gym until I started seeing my g/f.

I think in the year i've been doing this part time, there's maybe 4-5 people I trained who, initially, I "might" have given jumping lunges to. Note to self - don't give untrained, overweight middle aged women who move like crap, Jumping Lunges. Teach them to lunge first. Maybe.

I hate to criticise or bitch but the beauty of this is, it's anonymous. I don't take classes, it's a different ball game as far as i'm concerned. I've taken a few but the gym was desperate (they were epic!). Just felt the need to randomly rant. I'm here all week.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue May 17, 2011 11:44 am

Jumping lunges are OK but don't have them squatting below a 90 degree bend. I find hypocracy humourous sometimes.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed May 18, 2011 3:58 am

stuward wrote:Jumping lunges are OK but don't have them squatting below a 90 degree bend. I find hypocracy humourous sometimes.
Exactly!!!

There's a scary trend in my gym which is leaning towards "plyometrics", too. I think it's because they sound expensive. Trainers and class instructors are being "encouraged" to use more of them. Apparently they create a "high energy environment"...... -crickets chirping- ......... -tumbleweed blowing- ..........

I've noticed jumping lunges being used more but, I refer to what I normally see as an Ali Shuffle. It's exactly like a super slow Ali shuffle and nothing like a lunge variation at all. I must be crazy, you know, thinking that you actually have to LUNGE in Jumping Lunges.....

KPj

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed May 18, 2011 8:13 am

Plyometrics are fine for the young and fit, but not for the old a flabby. Of course young and fit is sexy, and everybody want to be sexy, so that's where the money is.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed May 18, 2011 8:29 am

Yeah, regardless of whether they're good or not for whoever, it's just the same old crap. "X" sounds good and looks good, and it's "different".... So let's use it. All comes back to the "WHY????"..... WHY give people "X". Sounding and looking good or energetic is poor reasoning. Is it actually beneficial to the people you're going to have doing it??? This doesn't even get considered.

I remember reading some Cosgrove material. It may of been article or it may of been on the SC forums, can't remember. Anyway, throughout his career, he's tracked everything to do with his training and clients. From the assessments, to the programs, to the diet, to the results. He'll often point out that the numbers he has monitored over the years far exceed any study he's ever came across.

One of the things he pointed out is on the assessment side if it and how the clientèle has changed over the years. Basically, people now are in much worse condition in general than before. They have more imbalances, bigger injury histories, weaker, etc. His point is you need to adapt.

My point here is that, even a lot of younger people are in very poor condition. I think my friends and I were possibly the last of a dying breed. I can't count the number of 16-20 yearold boys who can't do a pull up and barely do a GOOD push up. A bodyweight squat can be tough for some. I find this crazy. When I look back at my childhood - maybe a lot to do with growing up in the country - we were always climbing trees, running around, "wrestling", playing games, etc. We used to have push up and pull up competitions. I remember at Karate when I was about 10, we had to do 50 push ups at the start of the session. 50!!!!!

It's the same old point, really. Kids now are locked in their rooms playing computer games. Especially over here where physical education is a joke.

And then you have gyms wanting to introduce more "fun, energetic" workouts. Just because it's different.

Maybe i'm just getting old! Or increasingly frustrated with the commercial gym environment.....

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed May 18, 2011 9:28 pm

When you first become familiar with the idea of caveat emptor, it conjurs up images of used car salesmen or real estate or general scam. But as with age, you realize that yeah, it applies to every choice you make. "Follow the dollar" to find the motivation works, too.
Bottom line, you have to watch out for your own good. And, I'm ok with that.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri May 20, 2011 10:51 am

i spotted a guy benching 170k today. If he had failed there's no way I'd have been strong enough to lift it off him. Later in the workout I spotted a guy squatting 200k. If he'd failed we'd both have died.

Unusual to get 2 such strong guys in my gym

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:25 pm

Thank you Robert that put a smile on my face after a depressing work out.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Sat May 21, 2011 11:13 pm

anyone raptured?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Sun May 22, 2011 7:25 am

I hope not, cuz I'm still here.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Sun May 22, 2011 8:51 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:anyone raptured?
What a load of nonsense this debacle was. That this 'doorknob' was given as much much media airtime as he was only serves to encourage this nonsense.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Sun May 22, 2011 9:20 am

Never heard anything about it in Belgium.

Just looked it up, it was supposed to be the end of the world yesterday?
Isn't that a year too early? I thought the world would end in november/december 2012, not yesterday.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun May 22, 2011 10:00 am

There are lots of end of the world prophecies. Here's a partial list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pr ... _the_world" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 21 may 11 came from someone's interpretation of Revelation. Dec 12 is based on the Mayan calendar.

Nobody really knows when the world would end but this is how it will end (contains bad language) http://www.endofworld.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;