Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Random crap

Post by mark74 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:26 am

If I could have a single feature added to Twitter, filtering would be it.

On a second thought, maybe someone has written a GreaseMonkey script to do that? <goes to check>

Yes, there's plenty! I'm happy now.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:56 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:He was never close to that good again.

what a cast.
embarrassingly I don't recognise it, what film is that?

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:36 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd-IHI6b-k0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee's_for_closers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:09 am

Whoa! I didn't know that sequence had a name.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:42 am

So... Trained the Thai fighter. It actually couldn't of went better. He's what I call a "connect the dots", guy. He was strong and powerful already. What he done before definitely wasn't a wasted effort. What he gained were some strong muscles, he just didn't have the strong movements. What I mean by "connect the dots" is, with people like this, if you get them set up properly and tight and start using solid technique, everything works together and they almost always lift more straight away, which makes me look like a genius (despite it actually being very basic stuff).

Benching was interesting as my friend had told him how I bench before and he had expressed concern. The BB that trained him before said arching and leg drive were for people who couldn't otherwise lift the weight without this. Kind of hard to argue that one - I definitely couldn't bench what I can with a flat back and no leg drive, which I openly admitted. However in this case the point was irrelevant. It was actually really easy to get my point across. I likened my bench form to how you punch - it's generated originally from the foot, up the leg, hips, back, shoulders, then a snappy punch is driven away from the body. Every fighter is aware of the importance of footwork and hip movement to generate powerful punches. Liken this to benching with leg drive, and it's far more specific than flat back benching. However, I wouldn't exactly use the bench press as a sport specific movement anyway. I would use it simply to increase full body pressing strength. Anything else you get from it is a bonus.

In short, his squat went up (at more depth with no knee pain), his bench went up quite drastically, and his dead lift went up the most drastically. To the tune of atleast 80lbs!!!! (We stopped at this point). As soon as I seen him set up at least a foot from the bar I knew I was going to work miracles on his deadlift. Setting up closer to the bar would add 20KG alone.

What a difference it makes training an "athlete". I actually can't remember being as excited coaching someone. I could of made the session last several hours I think. Every point I made I could demonstrate and/or relate it to fighting. I got some amazing feed back from it. Now I just need to think about a program!

Then it was complete role reversal. He coached me and my friend. Seeing this guy kick the pads is inspirational. We have free standing punch bags in the gym and I'm certain this guy could leave a hole in them!! We first played this foot work game. You get into a fighting stance, on the toes, and you need to tap the other persons inner or outer knee for a point with your hand, and obviously move out of the way when they tried to tap you. This is a lot harder than it sounds. Then we worked through some punches and very basic combo's. Then onto leg kicks. He got me to open up my hips more and really drill the leg in a downwards motion instead of a sweeping motion. Huge difference!! Plus switching stance for a left leg kick, too. He taught me a drill to work on the kick using a stability ball to kick over and also taught me how to "shadow kick" (like shadow boxing). All very basic stuff but this is what I need.

Then we "clinched". I never understood this aspect of the sport before but now it fascinates me. When I first saw this guy the first thing I noticed was his thick neck. Now I know how he's got it - Clinching!! I understand it more now. It's really hard going, very physical and surprisingly very technical. I never thought I would find myself specifically searching for the parts of Thai fights that used to bore the hell out of me.

And that was it. This is actually the short version lol.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:55 pm

RIP Richard Nevle, Principal of Strake Jesuit College Prep in Houston Texas. A great teacher and a great man, an example in his life and work.

mark74
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by mark74 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:12 pm

For those who played Secret of Monkey Island back in the day. Unfortunately it appears to be synthesized so it sounds so much better than how it was IRL. Still good for a ringtone, I guess.

http://zeitgestalten.org/somi_monophony.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a little bonus for the nostalgic ones:

http://indiegames.com/2011/07/a_night_a ... _has_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:01 pm

I had forgotten about egg muffins.
Yum.

Seems I'm getting to the point where I forget what I know, such as recaling a variety of recipes, maybe its time to strt writng more down.
"List of stuff you can eat for lunch."
But oneshould not have to write those things down, you should have it in your head.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:04 pm

egg muffins, you mean from MaccyD's?

my meagre budget has me eating pretty much the same thing week in, week out. Covers all my nutritional bases but doesn't exactly rev my engine taste-wise.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:26 pm

No not Mcds, although, weakness for Hardee's Ultimate Omelllte biscuit.

these egg muffins are all veg and eggs and cheese
Finely chopped raw vegs (I used brocolli, peppers, onion, and mushroom this time),
Cheese
Eggs.

Muffin tin. Put vegs in, top with some cheesse, pour egs in.
Cook.

coat tin, to avoid sticking.

I heard about them on hear, IIR

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:42 pm

oh yeah of course I know those, I eat them every now and then but put a load of sausage meat in it too. Comes out at like 70g of protein. "Mega Eggs" I call it.

You yanks are too fast and loose with your use of the word muffin

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:06 am

What would be the proper name?
I just borrowed "muffin" fron the site which has the recipe I use.

Egg Cupcakes!

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:06 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:What would be the proper name?
Frittata? I'm so middle class

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:03 am

So, i'm off with the girlfriend for an audition for a tv game show in the next few weeks. This is what happens when you leave your girlfriend home alone on weekends.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:54 am

I invented an exercise today. It's called the "Bob Curl." You need a squat rack where the uprights don't go all the way up. Position yourself beside the upright in a split stance/lunge type position with the opposite leg of the arm you're working in front. Hold the dumbell in a supinated grip with your elbow resting against the upright. Now curl that sucka up and squeeze at the top. Basically it's a preacher curl with a better ROM. Great exercise, no cheating from the back or shoulders is possible.

"Bob Curl," tell your friends