Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Random crap

Post by Matt Z » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:41 pm

"Other nights he wakes up on his bedroom floor with no idea how he got there. It's pretty crazy." - robertscott

I used to do that, and fight in my sleep. Also, I talk in my sleep. Plus my wife tells me I molest her in my sleep sometimes, although I rarely have any recollection of it the next day.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:53 pm

Matt Z wrote: Plus my wife tells me I molest her in my sleep sometimes, .
yeah, you just keep telling her "Gee honey, I'm sorry, eh.. I had no idea.." and then snicker to yourself quietly

RobertB
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by RobertB » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:41 am

Can't sleep uncovered unless I am totally oblitterated (booze/"other")

I once apparently went for boob in my sleep and when she moved me I pulled my face and called her a "f'ing dick" - made me laugh hearing about it, fortunately she was ok too.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:18 am

I bought a piano the other day. Loads of fun, been teaching myself Stevie Wonder and Meatloaf songs. Sweet

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:36 am

I didn't know you played. I have one, and a keyboard. Can play a couple of stevie wonder songs - Lately, a place in the sun, and kinda sorta Higher Ground. I was learning Higher Ground before I went and played at a wedding (not as a "gig" but as a favour, i'm not good enough to gig, really) but I left the book in venue (house of an art lover) and haven't replaced it yet. worth noting as good as it sounds, I never played Lately at a wedding! I was originally just asked to play Adele Make You Feel My Love whilst my sister sang but, they also asked me to fill 20 minutes before my sister came on. Other than the odd jam session, it's the most nerve racking thing i've ever done. Oh, and having to listen to Adele so much made we want to drop the piano on my face.

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:59 am

yeah man I play all kinds of things, guitars, pianos, mandolins, synthesisers etc, and I sing. Apart from lifting weights music is my only interest. Make electronic music under the name The Old Adam, going to start doing gigs this year which should be loads of fun. You will, of course, receive an invite when it happens.

I used to play the piano when I was really young, but pretty much gave it up when I discovered the guitar. Used to get lessons up until the age of about 14 but the teacher made me play horrible classical stuff which I hated, so I wasn't particularly motivated to practice. Looking back though I'm glad my parents forced me to do it, gave me an understanding of musical theory and stuff which I've used my whole life.

A couple of weeks ago I found a cheap piano on gumtree though and bought it on a whim. Now it's been so long since I played one I'm pretty much teaching myself from scratch. I can still remember a bit about technique and stuff but I've totally forgotten how to read staves. What a nightmare. Have to count up from middle C each time!

You must be pretty good if you were asked to play at a wedding, even if it was only just to fill time. I love playing on stage, was in a band called "Give It Laldy" and our gigs were just an excuse to get all our mates in the one place and have a party. Loads of fun.

If my band needs a touring pianist I'll give you a shout! And I can totally relate about the Adele tune. When I bought the piano I went a bit crazy buying sheet music for any tune I could think of with a piano part. "Halo" by Beyonce and "China In Your Hand" by T'Pau were two of the slightly more embarrassing ones...

You should check out a website called Sheet Music Direct, for a couple of quid you can get the sheet music for pretty much anything you want. They've a really good selection of old motown and soul stuff, which is pretty much my favourite thing ever.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:50 am

I own 2 pianos, a trombone and a trumpet but I can't play a note. All my kids play and I think the world would be a lot better place if all kids played, along with sporta and strength training, of course.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:03 pm

learn Stu! Learn the trumpet. I think Phil plays drums, so I'll sing and play guitar, KPj on piano and Phil drumming. If we can expand our brass section slightly and find a bass player we can start an exrx.net funk n soul ensemble

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:49 pm

robertscott wrote:I bought a piano the other day. Loads of fun, been teaching myself Stevie Wonder and Meatloaf songs. Sweet
Heaven Can Wait.

that is cool to hear..will read more of thread, gotta run.

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:29 pm

robertscott wrote:learn Stu! Learn the trumpet. I think Phil plays drums, so I'll sing and play guitar, KPj on piano and Phil drumming. If we can expand our brass section slightly and find a bass player we can start an exrx.net funk n soul ensemble
I'm a somewhat bass player, so I will audition definitely.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:07 pm

stuward wrote:I own 2 pianos, a trombone and a trumpet but I can't play a note. All my kids play and I think the world would be a lot better place if all kids played, along with sporta and strength training, of course.
There is no end to the list of musical instruments I have mastered.

This is because there is no BEGINNING to the list of musical instruments I have mastered.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:23 am

i found a website that lets you input everything you've eaten in a day and tells you how many calories you ate and what your macros were.

According to the site I ate 4500 cals yesterday, with 250g of protein and 50% of my calories coming from fat!

Quite proud of that to be honest

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:52 pm

I'll offer to play rhythm guitar and do back-up vocals!

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:37 am

Review of Rokinon 500mm f8 lens
+ High power at low price.
+ Can be used handheld.
+ Usable in most outdoor lighting conditions.
+ Can be used with other camera brands by purchasing inexpensive adapter.
+ Good photo quality.
- Minimum focusing distance is 10 meters.
- Manual focus only.
- Must use manual exposure mode (at least with my camera).
- 2x teleconverter is nearly useless.

I think this lens will work well for birds of prey, waterfowl, wading birds, deer, woodchucks, turtles (basking), and anything else that's medium-to-large in size, difficult to approach, and willing to hold still long enough for me to find the correct exposure.

Not very useful for snakes, frogs & toads, insects, spiders, flowers or anything else that is normally photographed at close range.

May prove difficult to use on small birds due to slow reaction time and inability to shoot at close range. However, could be useful at feeders where I can set focus and exposure controls in advance and wait.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:24 am

I'm watching Hobo With a Shotgun. It was filmed locally and one of my son's friends was an extra. I think it fits in this thread since it's both random and crap.