Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Random crap

Post by robertscott » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:13 am

i'm on a huge siouxsie and the banshees kick just now. So good.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:04 pm

robertscott wrote:i'm on a huge siouxsie and the banshees kick just now. So good.
I can only assume that this is intended to make me ask questions.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:36 pm

woah. Andy, are you telling me you've never heard of 70s punk rock masters Siouxsie and the Banshees? Tut tut. Their line up over the years included Sid Vicious and Robert Smith!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9otg_Cm50RE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25weBjXioB0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nAON-MwUPY&ob=av2e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

give those links a listen. The first one, Spellbound, is an absolute beast although lately I've been more into the second one, which is a cover of The Beatles song Dear Prudence. The third is a song called The Passenger which is also mighty fine.

enjoy

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm a fan of 70's punk, and I never heard of them, although I do know who Sid Vicious and Robert Smith are. I'm not really into The Cure much, but the Sex Pistols is one of my favorites.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Aha, that's why I'm not familiar with it. That could be loosely described as punk....kind of proto new wave. It's like a happier version of The Cure. I'm more into stuff like the Sex Pistols, Misfits, Ramones, Anti-Nowhere League, as well as Battalion of Saints and Black Flag if you count bands that began at the very end of the era. Motorhead if you count crossover metal/punk bands.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:23 pm

maybe they weren't as big in America as they were in the UK. They were absolutely huge in their day, and loads of their songs have been covered by pretty big name acts. Iggy Pop did a cover of the Passenger in the late 90s but I wasn't so keen.

70s/80s punk is the only punk as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a huge Sex Pistols fan but they've got a few good tunes. Submission and Pretty Vacant are probably my favourites.

The stuff that comes out now that calls itself punk is just miserable. Bands like Green Day or whoever are fine when you're twelve years old but not really what I'm into these days.

Haha, are Green Day even together anymore? All of a sudden I feel my age...

Oh I've just seen your second post. Yeah they definitely blur the line between punk and New Wave. I'm more on the New Wave end of the spectrum than stuff like the Ramones, although there's a time and a place. It was a really good era of music for personalities. They don't make them like that anymore.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Oh one more thing on the subject of Siouxsie and the Banshees Ironman, check out their first album, "The Scream". That'd probably be much more to your taste.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:29 pm

Bob, Iggy wrote "The Passenger" and recorded it in 1977. Siouxsie covered it in 1987. IMHO, Iggy's is the definitive version although The Jolly Boys did a great job in 2010. I think Siouxsie's version charted the highest in the UK.

robt-aus

Post by robt-aus » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:26 pm

Ironman wrote:... Motorhead if you count crossover metal/punk bands.
Lemmy was recently the subject of an entertaining documentary too, titled, wait for it... Lemmy. Great viewing.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:31 am

Oh, Ok. I thought it was more Scots slang.

I was pretty much doing just classical and Christian music in the 70s.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:25 am

Jungledoc wrote:Oh, Ok. I thought it was more Scots slang.

you are SUCH a square. I wasn't even born until 1985 and I was still cooler than you in the 70s

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:28 am

stuward wrote:Bob, Iggy wrote "The Passenger" and recorded it in 1977. Siouxsie covered it in 1987. IMHO, Iggy's is the definitive version although The Jolly Boys did a great job in 2010. I think Siouxsie's version charted the highest in the UK.
ah right, I didn't know that. I gave the Iggy version a listen just there but I think I still prefer Siouxsie's vocal

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:48 am

It's probably whatever version you hear first sound right to you. Look up The Jolly Boys on yourtube.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:19 am

I actually heard the Iggy re-release in the 90s first. It's funny, I wasn't all that keen at the time but I think the Souxsie version's given me a new appreciation for it and I actually quite like it now. I'm going to give Iggy and the Stooges a listen over the next few days. I've only heard a few of their tracks so I'm going to make a more informed opinion of them.

I'll check out the Jolly Boys later

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Oh, Ok. I thought it was more Scots slang.

I like some classical depending on what it is. In addition to the usual symphonic stuff, I like a lot of classical guitar as well. Did you listen to any Christian metal in the 80's? I still listen to Stryper sometimes. You were probably into the more traditional stuff I would guess though.