Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Random crap

Post by KenDowns » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Sometimes you just get lucky.

Went to buy a FID bench, mostly for the incline feature, and saw this bench on sale for $20.00 (not a typo), could not pass it up:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 3674748311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The actual bench is a weider 1060, but picture on the sears site is close enough.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:38 am

Men fry, grill, broil, even saute. We don't bake

my wife bakes.

ok, I "bake" potatos, but I call that "throwing taters in the oven"

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:40 am

Ken,

Have you outgrown your home-aide gym?
Aside from also lifting at the powerlifting gym

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:05 am

Naw. We bake. Bread, biscuits, cakes, pies, cookies.

Bake.

Creative. It's a lot like building. You can ignore the cookbook, change things, experiment, create.

One of my male classmates in med school baked 2 loaves of bread every Saturday morning that he wasn't on call all the way through med school, kept one, gave one away. He still bakes.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:23 am

Oscar_Actuary wrote:Ken,

Have you outgrown your home-aide gym?
Aside from also lifting at the powerlifting gym
"Home-aide" gym, heh.

Nope haven't outgrown it, in fact I've cobbled on both a high pulley and low pulley that I enjoy.

I really just wanted an adjustable bench for incline, did not want to build that one myself.

Although this item is a bit more complex and takes more room, really couldn't pass on the price, cuz it will give me leg curls as well.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:23 am

Jungledoc wrote:Naw. We bake. Bread, biscuits, cakes, pies, cookies.

Bake.

Creative. It's a lot like building. You can ignore the cookbook, change things, experiment, create.

One of my male classmates in med school baked 2 loaves of bread every Saturday morning that he wasn't on call all the way through med school, kept one, gave one away. He still bakes.
pansies.

Real men fry

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:49 am

Jungledoc wrote:Naw. We bake. Bread, biscuits, cakes, pies, cookies.

Bake.

speak for yourself.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:00 am

my stupid gym is closed on bank holidays. As far as I can tell, there are only 2 things that close on bank holidays: banks, and my gym.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Cartoon:

Doctor (to overweight patient)--"Sometimes it's good to change your walking routine. Try walking around the block instead of wandering through the k-word."
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:45 am

I can't remember if I posted about this before, but in the Buchanan Galleries shopping centre the other day they were letting people try out these:

for those of you unfamiliar with the newest, most ridiculous fitness fad, it's called a Power-Plate. Basically, you stand on it, and it vibrates. That's supposed to get you in shape somehow.

Well, I stood on it and cranked it up to full power. A couple of minutes later I got bored and turned it off.

My verdict: Pointless. Utterly pointless.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:13 pm

it's for functional core activation

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:59 pm

I definitely use that after a hard set of Bosu Ball single-leg squat-hammer curl-shoulder presses with my pink dumbells. Not risking that spine with no situps, that's for sure!
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:07 am

The power plate is actually an attempted copy of another vibrating platform i think it's known as Vibraflex. There is some decent research for it's use in a clinical setting (note, NOT in a "drop a dress size in a day" setting). It's one of those things that someone in the fitness industry must of spotted in a Physio's office and thought, "$$$"..... "I could use this!!! Another gimmick!". Not only that, but they can say it's backed by research!!! (without having to say what the research actually, um, researched)

The best of it is, though, the power plate works differently than the vibraflex. I believe the vibraflex moves rotationally (i think the technology is patented so it's the only one, or something) where as the powerplate pretty much judders up and down in a vertical motion. As a result, the power plate motion actually creates a lot of stress on your skull lol. Lovely. Did you feel your teeth clatter together? Vision go nuts? Even feel a little sick? That's not really desirable. The vertical ones like powerplate use research based on rotational plates to back themselves up, too. Also, the favourable research for the rotational plates are all at around a frequency of 30-ish Hz or less. Most power plates go way beyond this, and people will crank it up to play to the "more is better" mindset.

I don't even know how I know this. These just became a pet hate for me. You actually get power plate classes. You can even go places to rent them out! Not to mention this strange fad of having obese people with poor movement ability hop on and off them. Jumping on and off them is a popular fad for trainers to use. I see it a lot. It's NASM 101 (I was certified by NASM, btw, whilst this isn't completely true, it's not far off).

Some of the positions listed on the accompanying posters that are normally displayed beside them can only be described as, well, masturbation. Not even joking.

Jim Wendler said in his latest article, regarding diet I believe, "people will believe anything but common sense".

Sometimes I do wonder how grown adults with real jobs and responsibility, with the ability to do things like tie ones shoe, can possibly buy into some of this stuff.

KPj
Thanks TimD

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:45 am

KPj wrote:The power plate is actually an attempted copy of another vibrating platform i think it's known as Vibraflex. There is some decent research for it's use in a clinical setting (note, NOT in a "drop a dress size in a day" setting). It's one of those things that someone in the fitness industry must of spotted in a Physio's office and thought, "$$$"..... "I could use this!!! Another gimmick!". Not only that, but they can say it's backed by research!!! (without having to say what the research actually, um, researched)
makes sense. I guess if you had a dodgy ankle or something then a bit of instability for rehab purposes might work. From what I saw though it was just middle aged women standing on them and being like "Oooooh..."
KPj wrote:The best of it is, though, the power plate works differently than the vibraflex. I believe the vibraflex moves rotationally (i think the technology is patented so it's the only one, or something) where as the powerplate pretty much judders up and down in a vertical motion. As a result, the power plate motion actually creates a lot of stress on your skull lol. Lovely. Did you feel your teeth clatter together? Vision go nuts? Even feel a little sick? That's not really desirable. The vertical ones like powerplate use research based on rotational plates to back themselves up, too. Also, the favourable research for the rotational plates are all at around a frequency of 30-ish Hz or less. Most power plates go way beyond this, and people will crank it up to play to the "more is better" mindset.
hahaha yup, teeth were clattering like crazy, but the most discomfort was actually in my back. That was really weird. Obviously being the macho macho man that I am I cranked that bad boy up full. Very weird sensation. The thing I don't get is that if power plates are good for you, then surely so must sitting on the washing machine! I mean, it's the same thing isn't it? Surely no one would ever try and tell you to sit on the washing machine for any kind of health benefit, so why the power plate?
KPj wrote:I don't even know how I know this. These just became a pet hate for me. You actually get power plate classes. You can even go places to rent them out! Not to mention this strange fad of having obese people with poor movement ability hop on and off them. Jumping on and off them is a popular fad for trainers to use. I see it a lot. It's NASM 101 (I was certified by NASM, btw, whilst this isn't completely true, it's not far off).
you love the power plate. It's the only explanation. It's one of those grudging, love-hate relationships. On a serious note though I think putting an obese person on a power plate is about the cruelest thing you could do. Think of the wobble!
KPj wrote:Some of the positions listed on the accompanying posters that are normally displayed beside them can only be described as, well, masturbation. Not even joking.
haha, I've seen that poster. You're right it's like a weird man and machine karma sutra.
KPj wrote: Jim Wendler said in his latest article, regarding diet I believe, "people will believe anything but common sense".

Sometimes I do wonder how grown adults with real jobs and responsibility, with the ability to do things like tie ones shoe, can possibly buy into some of this stuff.

KPj
i think deep down people know. How many times have you heard someone say "Well [X activity] burns more calories in an hour than sprinting up a mountain carrying a musk ox" or something similar when people talk about ridiculous health fads. Deep down people know that the only way to get in shape is diet and (traditional!) exercise. I think it's just misguided hope. I mean, you know that deep down standing on the washing machine won't get you in shape but maybe, just maybe...

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:12 am

LOL The washing machine analogy is brilliant. I'm definitely going to steal that one.
Thanks TimD