Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Random crap

Post by KPj » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:19 am

There's a guy in my gym who my training partners and I call, "Mr Bench Press". He's about 5'5 in height, and 5'11 in width. We speak of him as if he's some kind of comic book hero. Although he definitely trains other movements and body parts, particularly back and arms, we like to imagine that all he ever does is bench press. I don't know how much he benches, i've seen him do 175KG for 2 reps, with no spot or hand off. Lately it's been more in the 140KG-150KG for sets of 4-6. Again, no spot or hand off.

I've noticed that his training sessions last about....thinks out loud...... 2-3 hours. I've been in the gym several times when he's trained for 3 hours plus. I know because he'll be in when I have my first client and still there, training, when I finish with the third.

When I think about it, of all the people with amazing strength like that, or who have made extraordinary progress in some form or another (in comparison to commercial gym standards), they all seem to break at least some of the "golden rules", and don't even seem to realise, or care, or apparently let it affect them in any way whatsoever.

It's quite interesting. I would like to get a big group of people like that and find out what they all consistently do "wrong".
Thanks TimD

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:26 am

the strongest guy in my gym does that too. He trains for 3 hours at a time and does loads of what you would assume were "redundant" moves. Like 4 different types of curls for example.

He also trains 6 days a week, and would train all 7 except he doesn't believe you should train on the "holy day". The first time he told me that I thought he was saying "holiday," he has a very strong African accent.

he also has a LUDICROUS squat and deadlift, but seems to train mostly in the 8-12 rep range. According to the 160lb internet experts, he's not building any strength. Yet there he is, strong as hell.

he also doesn't use any supplements.

I have a bit of a man-crush on the guy to be honest. He's just so awesome! It's a bit of a running joke in my gym among the regulars. We're all training to "be like Ozi".

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Yeah, i know a guy who has gained about 10kg of muscle (now about95kg) in the last 6 months. And has added 40+kg on his dl in the same time (now around 185kg).
He regularly does 2 hour-long workouts and trains his upper body mostly in the 8-12 rep zone with partial reps (no lockout, but a piston-like movement).

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:45 pm

Is it me, or are pants' legs getting smaller while the waists are getting bigger?
I noticed the same with sweaters, shoulders and arms getting smaller, waist getting bigger.
It's not because i got bigger either, it's like slowly but surely the clothing industry is changing the shape of clothing to accomodate to the growing obesity problem
(which is pretty understandable from a bussiness standpoint).

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:59 pm

so ends another session, and yet again I find myself wondering if I made myself stronger today, or just tired myself out.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:14 pm

Only my wife would put a computer, computer monitor, scanner and printer in the same XL U-Haul Box along with the keyboard, mouse, speakers, powerstrip and whatever else would fit.

JasonJones

Post by JasonJones » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:26 pm

robertscott wrote:the strongest guy in my gym does that too.
We have a guy like that too. His name, fittingly, is Vlad, and he only does 3 exercises: bench press, close grip lat pulldown, and machine bicep curls. He benches 3 plates with absolutely no ROM, for like 20 reps. Zero leg work ever, and yet he has the body of a Greek God. He also has an un-passable guard in Jiu Jitsu, and is a ballroom and salsa dancer. His workouts look like a total joke, and yet he's bigger, more powerful, more graceful and more athletic than 99% of the people training will ever be.
robertscott wrote:According to the 160lb internet experts
my feewings :(
don't you know there ain't no devil
that's just god when he's drunk

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:37 pm

You have to keep in mind that no-one's training is perfect. There's always something you could be doing better whether it's trying a new assistance exercise or fine-tuning your technique. ... I've been at it for 18+ years, and I'm still learning. Meanwhile, I wonder sometimes where I would be today had I known at the beginning what I know now.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:14 pm

175 kgs? That's for warm-up, right? :grin:
Thanks TimD.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:18 pm

We found an obviously pure bred male chocolate lab. We lost our black lab about 6 months ago. We've put out fliers, called animal control and asked around in the hood. No one is missing one.

We haven't claimed his as our own, yet, but we have named him Otter.
Thanks TimD.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:38 am

50 Signs you are a fitness nut. This is a great way to start a Friday.

http://www.soheeleefitness.com/2012/04/ ... ness-buff/
Thanks TimD.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:47 am

hoosegow wrote:175 kgs? That's for warm-up, right? :grin:
warming up with a bodyweight bench eh hoose? Impressive

KPj

Post by KPj » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:12 am

haha. On the bench thing, there's a guy in my gym known simply as "Davie". He used to play american football, despite being Scottish. Also, despite being Scottish, he's black. So you have a black scot playing american football, in scotland, too. Anyway, at that time in his youth, he never actually lifted but worked in a slaughter house which required a lot of lifting and moving of dead cows etc.

He's a big gentle giant, always has a smile on his face even when training really hard. I remember he had been benchin for a while but only light to get used to form. Due to him having a big frame, broad shoulders etc, and being about 260-ish lbs (a guess... maybe more), I was curious how much he could lift with practically no dedicated training. So I offered to spot him whilst he worked up. He got up to 120KG for 5 reps and decided that was enough. 120KG looked just as easy as 80KG did for him. I felt like I was dealing with Bruce Willis in "Unbreakable" when he and his son realise he has freak-strength and load the bar up with all the weight in the garage plus paint cans etc. I told him after that that he has ATLEAST 150KG in him right now, if he let things get a little strenuous.

He's just not that fussed so has taken his time, a few months later (which is just last week) he shouts me over to see if I can spot him so he can work up. He ends up getting 2 reps with 155KG. He easy had atleast 1 rep with 160KG in him, but he called it a day. He's just like that. He said he had hoped for 150KG so was very pleased with 155KG and will leave it at that - a mentality that, as I get more experienced, I realise more and more is quite crucial when you hit a PB.

I've actually told him i'll train him for free just to see what we can get his bench up to in 6 months of actually trying lol. He thinks i'm joking! He really only trains to "stay/get in shape".

On training time - when I wasn't as busy my sessions would be 2 hours. I don't care for the 60 minute rule, really. Plus, in an ideal world i'll foam roll - stretch - dynamic warm up, which is about 20 mins before you even do anything fun. Then at the end I like to do lots of healthy stuff to keep on top of various things, which can be about 20 mins. Add 60 mins of training on and we're already at 1 hour 40 mins. I love it when I have a real 2 hours to train. It very rarely happens now. Most of my sessions now are about 45 minutes. Gets me down sometimes. I went for a test on DL last week, trying to keep 5 mins minimum between attempts. By the time I got to my last set I had no time and had to leave 2-3 mins, it looked like I added another 50KG to the bar in comparison to the last set. However, it's better than not doing it, I guess.

Great article btw, i'll steal it and spread it around thanks :thumbright:
Thanks TimD

teafan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by teafan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:54 am

One of the regulars in our gym spent the entire hour I was there yesterday doing various shoulder/military presses. I wouldnt be surprised if he knocked out 1000 reps. He doesnt look like he works on his shoulders but it will be interesting to see what he looked like after ten years of doing that.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:17 pm

Ouch Robert, but I'm not there yet.
Thanks TimD.