Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Re: Random crap

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm

an actual organized debate ?, or you mean a discussion in class and some actually thought it was not a good thing ?

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Fri May 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Oscar_Actuary wrote:an actual organized debate ?, or you mean a discussion in class and some actually thought it was not a good thing ?
It was kinda real. It was half the class vs the other half and we had a couple days to do some research. It was a lot of fun. I think we learned more about the event then if we had just read some stuff in a text book and listened to the teacher.

One of the arguments against the IR was frivolous; that we should all go back to the way it was and be, "natural."

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Fri May 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Jungledoc wrote:Do non-Scots often like it? It sounds like something that I might not enjoy too much (especially if all that stuff people say about where it comes from is true, which I, of course, doubt).
actually the stories about where it comes from are true. It is really nice though, much nicer than you think it'd be given the ingredients.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri May 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Nevage wrote:Is haggis like black pudding?
shame on you!

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Sun May 20, 2012 4:19 am

Jungledoc wrote:Do non-Scots often like it? It sounds like something that I might not enjoy too much (especially if all that stuff people say about where it comes from is true, which I, of course, doubt).
Doc it's delicious, I ate it heaps while I lived in Scotland, can't find and decent stuff here in Tasmania though and I can't cook to save myself!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun May 20, 2012 8:14 am

Why? The child labor? The rising dominance of the upper classes? The air pollution?
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Mon May 21, 2012 12:35 am

Jungledoc wrote:Why? The child labor? The rising dominance of the upper classes? The air pollution?
They said these things too.

There was child labour before the IR and it was the IR that would bring an end to child labour. Most of the land/wealth was owned by a very small group of people before the IR(Kings, nobles). Since the IR there has a been a rising of the lower and middle classes (as well as the higher classes too) and an increase in the standard of living for everyone.

Air pollution is bad, but the only thing we can do is to move forward (in terms of tech/science).

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon May 21, 2012 3:47 am

I rent a house out and, recently the tenants left. I've had to get a fair amount of work done to the house in preparation for the new tenants.

The previous tenants were honestly brain dead, and I don't really like saying that about people. The guy called me the day he was leaving and said, "um, just to let you know, i'm up the loft and there is a hole in your roof".. I said something along the lines of, "WHAAAAAT". He seemed unable to describe it until I said, "can you stick your head out and wave to the neighbours?????"..... "no no, you can't actually see out, there's just some moss and things have fell in".

After some high wind i asked them to check the roof tiles to see if any were missing. Next time I collected rent (it's always dark when I get there), I asked and they said no tiles were missing. So it had been missing for months, at least since the high winds in January. My fault for thinking they were capable of standing outside and looking up at the roof, should of checked myself.

Anyway, I went up the loft to have a look. It was a birds nest, NOT moss. Birds nest suggests "dry" i.e. no water getting in, moss suggests dampness so this was a relief. But, you should of seen this thing, it was honestly more like a beaver dam! I feared for my safety when I was up there as I kept expecting an angry Albatross to swoop in and fight for it's territory. The loft is actually floored with a desk in there (from previous owners) and you can tell by the mess that Birdzilla made the whole loft his own. The custom made mansion/beaver-dam/nest was obviously for his kids (no sign of them so don't worry... only some broken egg shells hinted at the childrens previous existence).

It took filling up 5 large bin bags to clear it out.
Thanks TimD

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Mon May 21, 2012 4:01 am

I cant leave here because some of you do such a splendid job of entertaining me

IceDane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IceDane » Thu May 24, 2012 7:44 am

On Tuesday, it was deadlift day. I'm doing 5/3/1 - boring but big. I finished my second last heavy set, 155 kg x 3, and stood up. I proceeded to remove the straps from my left wrist, and it tore at the seams(at the loop). If I had been doing, say, 5 reps like last tuesday, it would have tore when I was in the middle of a rep, undoubtedly resulting in an injury. Needless to say, I called the producer and complained, and they're sending me a new one.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu May 24, 2012 7:50 am

I was watching a timed deadlift event, part of a strongman competition, on TV once, where the guy broke a strap on the first rep. He looked at the judges with a stunned look on his face and they just said "keep going, the clock is ticking". I think he got 1 or 2 more reps out but it was basically all over for him.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu May 24, 2012 8:50 am

I had a wrist wrap ping off and hit me in the face when I was incline benching once. Serves me right for buying the cheapest pair in the shop.

Bought some Eleiko ones for triple the price and they've lasted for years.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri May 25, 2012 2:19 am

robertscott wrote:I had a wrist wrap ping off and hit me in the face when I was incline benching once. Serves me right for using straps while I was incline benching.
fyp.

:cool:

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri May 25, 2012 8:06 am

screw you Ozzy!

I have delicate little wristies

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Fri May 25, 2012 8:24 am

I don't like pitbull's music.

And lil wayne's tha carter II is his best album, the first album of xzibit is very good too.

Talking about music: gotye is a Belgian.
And snoop dogg's intrology has got a nice beat.