Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Random crap

Post by robertscott » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:38 am

ooh trying to spam Random Crap, is nothing sacred?

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:37 am

So, for the last 2 weeks i've had "Labyrinthitis"....

Basically, it's like being physically very drunk but mentally sober, and the more physically drunk I feel, the more sick I feel. My balance mechanism in my ear is screwed.

When I don't move or look around, I have no symptoms other than a general haziness. I've never heard of this. Takes a lot for me to go the Doc but when the symptoms kicked in, I genuinely panicked! It hit me one day but just a little, and I assumed I just needed an early night as I wasn't getting much sleep. Later that night I was coaching people, demonstrated something that involved laying on my back then standing up, and the gym started spinning around me. The next morning could barely lift my head off the pillow. I got these pills that are supposed to stop the dizzyness and sickness and, i'm not saying they don't work but, they knock me out so I don't get a chance to feel the effects.

I train an Ear-Nose-'n'-Throat surgeon, who recommended I look these up - http://www.entkent.com/Cawthorne-Cooksey.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So i've went from almost getting my +500lbs deadlift and +400lbs squat back, to training eye movement and walking with my eyes closed. Things are improving, not sure if they are just improving because they are improving, or improving because i'm doing my staring exercises.

I deadlifted a few days ago, and I squatted yesterday. I'm still not right but the training never made me feel any worse so i'm assuming I can get away it. I can't lay on my back without the room spinning so benching is out so OH press it is for the foreseeable future.

I don't have a point, i'm just ranting. I miss having a clear head.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 am

I get that from time to time. I didn't know it had a name. In my case I think it's due to a swollen eustation tubes. My hearing comes and goes. The Army doesn't believe that hearing can improve so I have a permanent hearing loss, even though, most of the time, everything is fine. My "loss" isn't bad enough for career action, it's just not perfect anymore. I've connected the inflamed eustation tubes to eating wheat. I can feel the swelling start within a day of having a hamburger with a bun. I used to have to take antibiotics every couple of years. I can generally control it now so hopefully can avoid those times.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:10 am

if I see you on the street Kenny I'm going to knock your ass down

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:13 pm

"I can't lay on my back without the room spinning so benching is out so OH press it is for the foreseeable future." - KPj

Can you do parallel bar dips?

KPj

Post by KPj » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:30 am

Never actually thought of Dips, Matt. Thanks! They should be fine, it's only when I lay on my back I get dizzy just now.

KPj

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:45 pm

Glad I could help.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:37 pm

KPj--Sorry to hear that. It's can be pretty disabling, but it is usually ("usually", I say) self-limited. I'd suggest trying this. Try the Cawthorne-Cooksey exercises just before benching, especially the up and down one, the one where you move your head, not just your eyes. You should repeat the movement until the vertigo subsides. Then lay down slowly on the bench, and stay put for a couple of minutes. If you lay still, the vertigo should subside. Then bench as usual.

Stu--the symptoms of eustachian dysfunction should be quite different than labyrinthitis. There can be some dizziness, but usually not the intense spinning, nauseated, seasick feeling of labyrinthitis. And, as you have noted, decrease in hearing. There is often the sense that the ear is plugged, although the ear canal is clear. With labyrinthitis there usually isn't any decrease in hearing acuity, or the sense of pressure and plugging. The mechanisms are very different. With eustacian dysfunction you can often get temporary relief by doing a Valsalva manuver against a closed mouth and pinched-off nose, rather than against a closed glottis.

KPj

Post by KPj » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:38 am

Thanks Doc!! You know, strangely enough, I never thought of doing them immediately before benching. I'll give it a shot. It's definitely getting better, it "settles" much quicker now where as, in the first week, it didn't seem to settle at all when I was on my back.

I trained last night and was just laying back on a bench, letting it settle, then standing up again. It would settle reasonably quickly when on the bench, then things would spin when I stood up, but would only last 30 seconds or so. I stopped when it started making me feel a little sick, but it's the most i've been able to do.

On another note, I had one of the best lifting mistakes you can ever make lastnight. I trained deadlift with a client (i give clients the chance to train with me). A training partner was also around. I was optimistic that I would be able to deadlift 180kg for 1-3 reps. I would of been happy with that considering how the last few weeks have went.

So, I get the bar to -what i thought- was 170kg, and it was clean, but sloooowww. A real grind. My training partner noted the same, saying 170 normally moves much faster, maybe i need to get tighter or something. Tried again straight away as I was raging, and it was pretty much the same. Then the meathead logic kicked in, "lets fix this with more weight". I moved it up to 180kg anyway. I got 2 reps. The first one was clean, but a grind, and the anger at how difficult it was caused me to go for another rep. Second was a little messy, but not the worse. Lower back stayed flat, everything else had a mind of its own.

As we went to unload the bar, we realise that 180 was actually 200!! How do you miscount by 20KG?? Suddenly fury turned to joy, lol. So the slow 170 was actually 190! (which means I made a jump from 160 to 190). I'm in the process of getting my deadlift "back". I had recently got up to a messy (and i mean messy) 205kg. The training partner and client said the 2nd rep with 200 was easily cleaner than the horrible rep I got with 205 a couple of months ago. So it's basically a (recent) PB. I celebrated by dropping to 165 and getting 8 reps, leaving 1, maybe 2 in the tank.

Such a confusing but good session! Due to training with the client, I was using different plates to make it easier to jump back and forward between weights, so that's what threw ALL of us off. I can't believe no one spotted it, not that i'm complaining.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 am

Nice! Most of my mistakes are the other way around. When we got a new bar a couple of years ago, several of us suddenly hit new PR. Then we discovered that it was a 15-kg, not a 20-kg bar. Sigh.

The point of the exercises is to do the movement that bothers you the most. It may not be one of the movements specified on the web site. As you repeat the movement, the vertigo should fatigue, and stop altogether after a few repetitions. If you do it a couple of times a day, the time it takes to do that should gradually diminish.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:11 am

Family is gone to Ga. I woke up this morning and grilled 5 sausage links. I love my family, but great googily moogily I eat well when they are gone.

Tonight - ribeyes and home grown tomatos.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:17 pm

I woke up this morning (at my friends cottage) to a mouse licking my hand.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:38 pm

did you lick it back?

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:37 pm

NO I freaked out and it ran away.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Today I started re-reading a classic ... "Man-eaters of Kumaon" by Jim Corbett.