Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Re: Random crap

Post by Matt Z » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:28 pm

I'd much rather ask someone what they do when they're not working. I think that says a lot more about a person.

For example, I'm a contract security officer ... a boring, thankless, unrewarding job. However when I'm not working I weight train, birdwatch, photograph wildlife, visit zoos and aquariums, tour historic sites, etc.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:53 pm

I guess it's easier than to ask, "what's important to know about you?"

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Matt, that's a good approach.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:59 am

Our new fitness manager asked me if I would be interested in running a gym "crossfit club".

He said, "it's right up your street!!" (he was being serious).

I politely declined (i'm not sure he really knows much about it... it's just starting to creep into the UK).

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:29 am

KPj wrote:Our new fitness manager asked me if I would be interested in running a gym "crossfit club".

He said, "it's right up your street!!" (he was being serious).

I politely declined (i'm not sure he really knows much about it... it's just starting to creep into the UK).
man you missed a trick there, there's some serious money to be made with crossfit

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:44 pm

It's very difficult to respect gun control proponents who lack even a basic understanding of firearms and existing/past gun control laws. Worse still are those who knowingly seek to mislead the public by spreading/perpetuating misinformation.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:49 pm

Of course, the same principle applies to any number of topics.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:09 pm

PS) Did anyone else notice that Wendy's replaced the real Wendy with a younger, thinner, better looking Wendy in their commercials.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:46 am

You know Matt, there is as good of chance of that happening anywhere in the nation. The difference in places like Texas is that honest people who have demonstrated proficiency with a weapon can carry. Consequently, we would have been shooting back.

Oh, and before you say it, you are not allowed to carry on Fort Hood. I believe it is a felony.

JasonJones

Post by JasonJones » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:46 am

What gun control laws and what about firearms does one need to be familiar with in order to discuss the topic and be taken seriously?
hoosegow wrote:The difference in places like Texas is that honest people who have demonstrated proficiency with a weapon can carry.
The gun homicide rate in Texas is among the highest in the states, and so is the general homicide rate. Similarly the homicide rate and the gun violence rate in the United States is far higher than virtually all of the first world; it's nearly six times higher than Canada. This reply makes little sense, especially given that the current understanding of the shooting has James Holmes wearing a vest and throwing smoke and/or tear gas canisters. Paul Kersey-esque gun-weilding patriots are an appealing fantasy and movie plot, but the enormous disparity between the homicide rate in the US vs the rest of the first world clearly demonstrates that this just isn't so.

On the other hand, Holmes' entire apartment was booby-trapped with explosives. Timothy McVeigh killed over 150 people with fertilizer and race car fuel. Guns make an easy scapegoat that avoids having to actually address the realities of gang violence, poverty, education, or mental health issues.

The debate is stupid. Gun-weilding action heroes are pure hollywood fantasy. Responsible gun owners also aren't out on street corners giving out bullets on Hallowe'en. You can burn somebody's house down with $10 of petrol.

You know what really would make a difference? Better emergency exits in theatres and buildings, and conscious safety drilling of how to find exits in an emergency. Rick Rescorla made the staff at Morgan Stanley perform meaningful fire drills in the World Trade Center, and is credited with saving many lives simply by making employees perform a safety drill once every three months.

(or, given that random homicides only account for about 15% of total homicides in the US, making you 258 times more likely to die of heart disease, the misplaced hysteria of the media is doing everyone a massive disservice? And we'd all be better served by laying off the deep fried Mars bars?)

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:40 pm

While it's debatable whether an armed citizen would have changed the outcome in this case, it's not uncommon for civilians to successfully use firearms in lawful self defense. These cases rarely resemble Hollywood movie scenarios (often no shots are even fired), and don't generally get much media attension, but they do happen and more often than you may realize. I don't claim that concealed carry is a solution to violence at the society level, or even that it's a very effective general deterant, but on an individual lever it can be a real life-saver.
Last edited by Matt Z on Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:54 pm

"Similarly the homicide rate and the gun violence rate in the United States is far higher than virtually all of the first world; it's nearly six times higher than Canada." - JasonJones

I can think of MANY differences between the US and Canada (or Europe) that might contribute to this. Therefore I don't see how anyone can attribute it to any one factor (gun control).

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:57 pm

"On the other hand, Holmes' entire apartment was booby-trapped with explosives. Timothy McVeigh killed over 150 people with fertilizer and race car fuel. Guns make an easy scapegoat that avoids having to actually address the realities of gang violence, poverty, education, or mental health issues." - JasonJones

Agreed.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:17 pm

"What gun control laws and what about firearms does one need to be familiar with in order to discuss the topic and be taken seriously?" - JasonJones

For example, there seems to be a great deal of confusion over the difference between semi-auto and full-auto weapons, and what constitutes an assault weapon (some definitions include pump shotguns). Similarly, there seems to be some misunderstanding over the definition of armor piercing ammo.

I also hear a lot of people refer to the "gun show loophole", which is actually a myth. In fact, the same rules apply at gun shows as anywhere else.