Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

stuward

Re: Random crap

Post by stuward » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 am

Jungledoc wrote:Tomorrow morning my wife and I are flying in a small plane to a remote jungle airstrip where friends of ours live at a small, 2-plane Mission Aviation Fellowship base. We've known the wife since she was a young girl. They have 2 little girls that are almost like granddaughters to us. The husband, who is the pilot, is allowed to take guests on some of his flights, so I'm hoping to see some places where very few outsiders ever go. Needless to say, I'll be off-line for the next week. I hope y'all can manage without me :)
Take lots of pictures.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Happy Diwali!

Eat up!

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:07 pm

One of my co-workers thinks/claims he saw a wolf chasing deer in Hershey recently. I was tempted to ask if he also saw a bigfoot riding a unicorn, but I bit my tongue.

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:23 pm

Matt Z wrote:One of my co-workers thinks/claims he saw a wolf chasing deer in Hershey recently. I was tempted to ask if he also saw a bigfoot riding a unicorn, but I bit my tongue.
Probably a coyote.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:11 pm

"Probably a coyote." - stuward

It's possible. We do have coyotes here in PA (although I have yet to see one). However, from his description it sounded like a big dog (Assuming he didn't just make up the whole story). Also, coyotes don't usually bother full-grown deer.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:36 pm

I've seen coyotes here in my neighbourhood that look like wolves. We don't let our dogs out at night because they are quite brazen. From what I saw on the internet, coyotes in PA go to about 50 lbs. One that size might go after a small deer. They seem to act differently than either dogs or wolves. They're really quite unpredictable. A pack killed a teen age girl here in Nova Scotia not long ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attacks_on_humans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In October 2009, Taylor Mitchell, a 19-year-old Canadian folk singer on break from a concert tour, died from injuries sustained in an attack by a group of eastern coyotes while hiking on the Skyline Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia, Canada.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Matt Z wrote:One of my co-workers thinks/claims he saw a wolf chasing deer in Hershey recently. I was tempted to ask if he also saw a bigfoot riding a unicorn, but I bit my tongue.
None of this is a lie. I've been accused of being a sasquatch when I'm without a shirt. My wife's school's mascot is.... the Unicorns. Yup - she's a Unicorn.

It made me really laugh. But then again, I am a juvenile at times.
Thanks TimD.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 pm

"From what I saw on the internet, coyotes in PA go to about 50 lbs. One that size might go after a small deer." - stuward

Even at that size a lone coyote would have a hard time bringing down a whitetail. Mostly they eat small stuff like rodents and rabbits (which are abundant in the area).

Also, the guy I work with said the "wolf" he saw was "big and fat", which makes me think it was a dog.

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:46 am

I keep forgetting who has that sig block about the hokey pokey, but this is for you:
Attachments
86252.jpg
86252.jpg (62.63 KiB) Viewed 2204 times

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:55 pm

That would be me Ken, although we call it the Hokey Cokey this side of the Atlantic.
What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by KenDowns » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:29 pm

I think I can't remember its you cuz when i see your handle I think of Sir Terry Pratchett's Nina Ogg singing, "A wizard's staff has a knob on the end!"

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:17 pm

Vacation's over. I actually have to do some work today.

sigh
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:27 pm

I saw a merlin (small falcon) at work today. ... Only the 5th time I've ever seen one. Then, while the merlin was perched on the fence, a kestrel showed up. I watched the kestrel hover and dive (probably goind after a mouse or vole). With that, the merlin flew directly to the spot were the kestrel dove. A moment later both birds reappeared with the merlin in the lead and the slightly smaller kestrel right on it's tail. I couldn't tell if the kestrel was successful in making a kill or if the merlin managed to steal it (neither bird appeared to be carrying anything). Still it was a very cool sighting.

Oscar_Actuary
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by Oscar_Actuary » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:55 am

Did your interest in strength training at all stem from your infatuation with nature and photography?

no offense.
you could probably toss me 10 yards

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:20 am

That could be a new event for strongman meets--Oscar tossing. Hmm. You may have something, there.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan