Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Jungledoc

Re: Random crap

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:57 am

I was scheduled to leave the US tomorrow, to return to PNG, but we've had delays in our visas for PNG, so are postponing our trip, probably by a couple of weeks. That means that I should train regularly for at least these 2 weeks, then some disruption again before getting back into routine in PNG. It's pretty uncertain how we will spend our time while waiting, but we'll figure something out.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:03 am

Dub wrote:
robertscott wrote:like solar eclipses, only less frequent.

It's kinda sad Oscar doesn't post anymore. I liked that guy, and was really hoping he'd lose the weight and get healthy.

I hope his not posting here anymore doesn't mean he gave up
Look who's talking. Mr. I don't update my training log because of reasons.
It's summer. I'm bloody busy and not really that much at the computer. Didn't we have this same conversation last summer as well?
Oscar is alive. He just posted to his journal.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:05 am

What is everyone doing this Summer? Keeping up with training? Taking a break?

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:24 am

Jungledoc wrote:What is everyone doing this Summer? Keeping up with training? Taking a break?
I'm a Course Officer this summer, teaching basic army stuff to new soldiers. First time doing that in about 10 years. I'm neglecting my own fitness in the process so I need to get on with that.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Dub
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Dub » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Jungledoc wrote:What is everyone doing this Summer? Keeping up with training? Taking a break?
Training 5 times a week, coaching football athletes and hockey goalies, working at a bar and writing my thesis. So lot's of fun. And eating clean and sleeping lots.
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:07 am

Training working eating sleeping :)

I have a few things coming but, as they always do, they're coinciding with all sorts of other things, namely the changes in the gym (which may involve doing more courses/certifications). However I have an OL certification I really want to do, and there's a powerlifting coaching course I'm hoping to do in August, too, and i'm also getting pestered to do the powerliftng referee course (just one day) but I don't think I will, not yet anyway. Done one comp, helped at 2 and they're throwing everything at me.
Thanks TimD

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:39 pm

One of my co-workers had a problem with his babysitter today, so rather than calling off (which would have gotten him written up), he brought his kids to work with him and made them wait in a hot, parked car for four hours, laying down so no one would see them. It would have been 8 hours, if he hadn't gotten caught and sent home early.

Today's high temp was 94 F.

robt-aus

Post by robt-aus » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:32 pm

It's Winter here. It was nearly below 10 degrees celsius last week. Unbelievable.
Training I expect I'll continue for 10 more weeks with a strength then possibly a power cycle, then as Spring hits it'll be time for a short break.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:14 pm

robt-aus wrote:... It was nearly below 10 degrees celsius last week. Unbelievable.
No sympathy.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

robt-aus

Post by robt-aus » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:42 pm

fair call, as if memory serves, wasn't the climate control at your last workplace set to 10 degrees fahrenheit?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:00 am

Matt Z wrote:One of my co-workers had a problem with his babysitter today, so rather than calling off (which would have gotten him written up), he brought his kids to work with him and made them wait in a hot, parked car for four hours, laying down so no one would see them. It would have been 8 hours, if he hadn't gotten caught and sent home early.

Wow. In a lot of states he would have been arrested.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:03 am

robt-aus wrote:
It's Winter here. It was nearly below 10 degrees celsius last week. Unbelievable.
Training I expect I'll continue for 10 more weeks with a strength then possibly a power cycle, then as Spring hits it'll be time for a short break.
Sorry! I didn't think about our members from the Southern Hemisphere. I also live south of the equator, but in the tropics, so we don't have distinct seasons. I still tend to think about the seasons "back home".

stuward

Post by stuward » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:44 am

Jungledoc wrote:
Matt Z wrote:One of my co-workers had a problem with his babysitter today, so rather than calling off (which would have gotten him written up), he brought his kids to work with him and made them wait in a hot, parked car for four hours, laying down so no one would see them. It would have been 8 hours, if he hadn't gotten caught and sent home early.

Wow. In a lot of states he would have been arrested.
Someone was arrested in Canada yesterday for that. 3 kids have died this year from being left in cars. Only 2 were charged since one of the kids climbed into the car on her own.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:33 am

94 degrees is plenty hot enough to kill kids. We've been having some days in Idaho in the 100+ range. On those days I won't even allow my adult daughter to stay in a car that's not running with the AC on, and she's a non-driver, so I don't like leaving the car running.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Update: Father-of-the-year got fired. No word yet on whether or not the client company will be pressing criminal charges.