Random crap

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:11 am

Wouter wrote:Softball, isn't that the female version of baseball?
I would've thought someone with "wilburburns" as a name would be a guy?

Or is softball also played by guys?
Softball is played by all ages by both genders. Baseball is usually limited to young men or older boys.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:39 am

Ooooo... You're in BIG trouble, now. Some very large men are going to come find you, and I just don't want to think about what their bats will do to you!

Yeah. Softball is played by guys. Big guys who like to hit a heavy ball a long way.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:03 am

OK, Wouter, time for some US trivia/background on baseball/softball. It may have started out that way, back in the day. The womens teams used an oversized ball, and used an underhand pitch or delivery, but those gal pitchers were only going from a distance of 60 ft vs the 90 used for baseball, and they could really smoke those pitches. My Mom was a pitcher in an old womens league in the late 1930's. It was a fast delivey, too. Later, after the WWII. softball started using a slow, underhand delivery, and became very popular for intramural sports, by both men and women, for recreational purposes. Nowadays, there could be men's teams, womens teams, but most likely, when different companies, businesses get a team together, its both men and women on the team.
Tim

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Wouter,
Not that long ago, I had similar feelings about Softball. I always said the Softball was for Old guys.

Then I started playing again and realized that it really is a bit of fun. I'm way to old for Baseball and this is the next best thing.

Young girls up through College play Fast Pitch, which is very similar to Men's Baseball.

I play Slow Pitch Softball, which is really only similar to baseball in that it uses a Ball, Glove, and a Bat. Otherwise, no steeling, a big slow ball pitched with an high Arch.

And, yes, often times the game is played by some rather large guys who like to hit a big ball a long way.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:39 pm

TimD wrote:OK, Wouter, time for some US trivia/background on baseball/softball. It may have started out that way, back in the day. The womens teams used an oversized ball, and used an underhand pitch or delivery, but those gal pitchers were only going from a distance of 60 ft vs the 90 used for baseball, and they could really smoke those pitches. My Mom was a pitcher in an old womens league in the late 1930's. It was a fast delivey, too. Later, after the WWII. softball started using a slow, underhand delivery, and became very popular for intramural sports, by both men and women, for recreational purposes. Nowadays, there could be men's teams, womens teams, but most likely, when different companies, businesses get a team together, its both men and women on the team.
Tim
Around here, Coed is played differently than the mens leagues.

I have played coed softball a couple of times and the Ball is BIGGER and SOFTER. I think this is to protect the girls from the harder hitting guys. It takes a really HARD hit to go deep into the outfield.

Cliff

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Ok, got it :grin: I won't make that remark again!

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:02 am

you can use a Smith machine for seated calf raises I discovered yesterday. It's called a "Bob raise". I've decided.

Nevage

Post by Nevage » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:30 am

I'm doing donkey calf raises at the moment at home, it feels funny having a guy sit on your back :con:

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:05 am

Just got back from getting vaccinated (hep A+B and tetanus/diphteria booster) and OUCH my arm! They said the tetanus one would be the worst, but it's the hepatitis arm that hurts most now! I won't be able to work out tonight or tomorrow either probably, booo!!! AND I have to do it AGAIN in a month AND in 6 months. Stupid germs.

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by A. moss » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:22 pm

Whos who Journal wise, you all used your real name I guess and so I don't know whos I'm reading?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:26 pm

A. moss wrote:Whos who Journal wise, you all used your real name I guess and so I don't know whos I'm reading?
Just click on the journal link. The forum name is still shown in the column at the left.

A. moss
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by A. moss » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:08 am

Jungledoc wrote:
A. moss wrote:Whos who Journal wise, you all used your real name I guess and so I don't know whos I'm reading?
Just click on the journal link. The forum name is still shown in the column at the left.

Ah, okay, thanks.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:08 am

Nevage wrote:I'm doing donkey calf raises at the moment at home, it feels funny having a guy sit on your back :con:
eeh aw!

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:24 pm

I saw 9 species of dragonflies yesterday.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:12 pm

I once saw a man covered in dragon flies head to toe, he was protected from any masquitos. I wish I had such an army of loyal flying exso skelton warriors.