mate's hotmail's been hacked...

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

mate's hotmail's been hacked...

Post by robertscott » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:38 pm

...and he doesn't know how to fix it. It's being used to send spam about acai berries. Does anyone know what he's supposed to do?

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Contact Microsoft and they will first disable the account, then he will have to verify the account was his by a long list of questions.

My sisters was hacked not long ago and Microsoft responded quickly to stop the spam sending, but then getting all the questions answered cottectly to verify the account ownership was quite difficult.

Good Luck to him..
Cliff

Ricky
Novice
Novice

Post by Ricky » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:25 am

Well, first you'll want to check the mail headers for the path to make sure it actually came from your ISP's mail server. If it didn't, someone is just forging it (and there's nothing you can do at that point because it's probably a server in Lybia or some $h1t ).

If it's your actual account you should be able to change your password unless it's a trojan (if you are using an actual software-based email client, like Outlook).

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:31 am

Ricky wrote:
If it's your actual account you should be able to change your password unless it's a trojan (if you are using an actual software-based email client, like Outlook).
The hotmail hacks I was referring to before were true hacks. The login and password were compromised and new passwords were stored. This made it impossible for the true account holder to login and change their password.

Cliff

xshawnxearthx

Post by xshawnxearthx » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:57 pm

He should dump the account and switch to gmail.
:wav:

IceDane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IceDane » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:46 am

I would like to point out that it is nigh impossible for the account to have been 'hacked' in the most literal sense. E.g. hotmail's servers weren't exploited and his password retrieved that way; they're also immune to brute-force.

What probably happened is that they phished it out of your friend, e.g. he entered it on a valid-looking site. If that didn't happen, almost the only other option is that your friend is infected with malware that logs keypresses(Keylogger) and he should, while retrieving his password by talking to hotmail(This has happened to me, it was relatively easy to get back) scan his computer with anti-virus.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Yes, I would tend to blame spyware. Some spyware logs keystrokes to fish accounts and passwords. If hotmail was hacked, then many people would be having the problem.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:43 pm

No argument from me, It's not Hotmail's fault. That being said, convincing Hotmail who is the true account user/owner is the problem.

Cliff

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Trouble is, it's even easier to fake emails from someone else if you want.

All you need is a hooky copy of server 2003 and about 10 lines of .asp code and you can generate an email to anyone, from anyone.

The only way to distinguish it from a real email is to examine the headers.

The problem usually goes away after a few days, the spammer will rotate email addresses to avoid any 'serious' attemps to track them down.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:48 pm

hmmm i wish i knew more about computers. I don't think he'd have been stupid enough to use his password anywhere dodgy. He does download music by the tonne, so his computer probably caught an STI