getting more definition

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

VoK
Apprentice
Apprentice

getting more definition

Post by VoK » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:18 am

I guess I am going into what you guys would call a "cutting" phase even though I never really went on a "bulking" phase.

Essentially, I feel that I have gained strength and size in my muscles, but I would like to have them stand out more. For example, I would like my shoulders to be less round and more "ripped".

I know that fat loss is essential. But I am wondering what type of excersises and sets/reps I should do to get this look.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:42 am

You might want to look at this article for some information.

strathmeyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by strathmeyer » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:36 pm

Also, Stephen, we need more information about how. How tall are you, how much do you weight, what's your body fat percentage? What is your workout, what do you eat? If you lift consistantly and eat right, your body fat should drop dramatically, especially if you throw in some HIIT.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:36 pm

Going hand in hand with the that Stephen put up, a very popular method of leaning out back in the 50's and 60's, before the bodypart splits got real popular was circuits and or PHA style training. PHA-peripheral heart action. These were simply circuits rotating from lower to upper body, done one right after the other with minimal rest, in the 8-15 rep range, intensities varied with the reps. A very simple example would be ciruit one. Squats, rows, glute hame raise, DB bench press, abs. Do 2-3 rounds, just resting long enough to catch your breath between rounds. Circuit 2 (if you choose to do another might be RDL, overhead press, abs, Chins. These are just examples. Done this way it tends to expend a lot of energy (which fits in quite nicely with diet to nfluence fat loss. Plus done in this quick fashion, it also tends to have a cardio vascular effect: hence the name peripheral heart action.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:28 pm

Tim

Here is more info on PHA workouts

I've done circuit training before (most recently using the XpressLine at NYSC), but never with the upper-body/lower body switch. It makes sense though - it avoids local fatigue.

Thanks for the heads up

john

Post by john » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:46 pm

yeah i agree with all that, you dont need to do high reps or anything special like that to get cut, just eat right, eat very right, and kick your ass in teh gym

like they have said doing your lifting with very little rest will make it like you are doing cardio while weight lifting and accelerate fat loss, sprinkle that with some HIIT and the right diet and youll shed it all off

but yes how tall are you how much do you weigh and whats your body fat?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:50 pm

john wrote:but yes how tall are you how much do you weigh and whats your body fat?
VoK is the one who's trying to get ripped, not me. But if you must know, I'm 6' 6" and I weigh 225. I have no idea what my body fat percentage is, but it must not be too high, since I can see my abs ;-)

TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:20 pm

Hey Stephen, thanks for that link to Mahler. I've played around with his stuff for a while now, and he is extremely knowledgeable in both the old and new stuff. I've been mixing up HOC, Javorek, crossfit and 5X5 for4 a while now
I loved that article.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:56 pm

I loved that article.
Tim
Here'sanother one.

I'm getting a lot of ideas for new training programs when my current one ends next month.

Thanks.

john

Post by john » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:56 am

oh i wasnt asking you Stephen sorry :P but yeah if you can see your abs thats like around 10% i believe is the threshold

George G
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by George G » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:39 am

TimD wrote:Going hand in hand with the that Stephen put up, a very popular method of leaning out back in the 50's and 60's, before the bodypart splits got real popular was circuits and or PHA style training. PHA-peripheral heart action. These were simply circuits rotating from lower to upper body, done one right after the other with minimal rest, in the 8-15 rep range, intensities varied with the reps. A very simple example would be ciruit one. Squats, rows, glute hame raise, DB bench press, abs. Do 2-3 rounds, just resting long enough to catch your breath between rounds. Circuit 2 (if you choose to do another might be RDL, overhead press, abs, Chins. These are just examples. Done this way it tends to expend a lot of energy (which fits in quite nicely with diet to nfluence fat loss. Plus done in this quick fashion, it also tends to have a cardio vascular effect: hence the name peripheral heart action.
Tim
I would go with this option. BTW, from what I read, another benefit of pairing up a big upper body ex and a big lower body ex is that it is very inefficient (which is what you want when burning fat).

One problem i have with the article that Stephen posted is that there are too many "little bang for your buck" exercises like leg extensions etc. Fat loss programs must focus on the big moves. I would avoid isolation work completely during a fat loss phase.

FullSquat2003
n00b
n00b

Post by FullSquat2003 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:55 pm

Definition is a function of the amount of body fat to lean body mass.
The less body fat to lean body mass the the more muscle definition will show.
If you want to measure your body fat percent with skin fold calipers try the website www.lookbetterfit.com

DELETED

Joshua

Post by DELETED » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:34 am

DELETED