light/heavy periodization training

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

kyle
former lurker

light/heavy periodization training

Post by kyle » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:41 pm

How could I incorporate a light/heavy or a periodization routine into my current 2-day split? I currently workout 3 days a week (M/W/F) on the 2day push/pull, low volume split. My usual workout consist of 6 to 8 lifts total with one warm-up set (12-15 reps) and one work out set(8 to 12 reps) for each lift. I love the routine because I’m pressed for time (work and school) and my history of overuse injuries. I’m coming off a longer layoff after an injury required surgery because I didn’t listen to my body. What I’m wondering is if it is practical to do a light/heavy or periodization program with this particular split? Or would I be better off moving to a 3 day split and incorporating one of these programs?

In case it will help, I’m 20 years old, 6’ 1” 160-165 lbs (skinny I know) and pervious to the injury I had been working out consitantly for a couple of years

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:12 pm

Wll, just my opinion, and I went back to the section in the weight training section here that addresses it, but I see no reason why you couldn't keep M-W-F with a 2 day split, Heavy, Light. You just wouldn't finish it in 7 days, would take 9 days or so for a cycle, and nothing out there is set in stone that you have to finish in 7 days. What I'm describing is (you were talking push/pull so I'll use that) M- Push heavy, W - Pull heavy, F - Push light, M - Pull light W- repeat cycle with periodization implemented. I certainly wouldn't worry about it. Just give it an honest trial and see if it works for you.
Tim

DELETED

Elizabeth

Post by DELETED » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:40 am

DELETED