High Intensity Advisable With Every Exercise?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Jungledoc, Ironman, stuward

former lurker

High Intensity Advisable With Every Exercise?

Post by kingandsoraka » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:47 am

I know there is probably not a "black or white"-answer to this question, but I will ask nevertheless (I tried the search, but probably used the wrong keywords)...

Is there a recommendation which exercises should not be done with heavy load? I think I read somewhere that isolation-exercises shouldn`t be trained with high intensity (lets say in the range of 1-5 reps)?

Also when looking at some strength-programmes, like Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5 (for beginners) or 5/3/1 or others for intermediate lifters most of them concentrate on some mainlifts (squat, deadlift, press, bench press) for strength and leave rowing movements or vertical pulling (for example) for assistance in a lower rep-range.
(An exception to this is SL 5x5 (perhaps some others I don`t know) where bent-over-row is part of the high intensity exercises.)

So is there a "rule" or reasoning which exercises should be trained in a lower rep-range?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

Re: High Intensity Advisable With Every Exercise?

Post by stuward » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:00 pm

There are 3 main reasons to exercise; strength, endurance and size. Almost all goals are variations of these. You can build strength with a wide range of loads, but usually heavy. Endurance requires light loads and very high reps. Size requires moderate loads and more volume. There is some carryover but that's the general case. Some exercises may be better suited to one goal over another so therefore the exercise and rep range are related in that regard. Isolation exercises are usually used for building size, therefore the higher rep range recommendation.
Stu Ward
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
Thanks TimD