%BF by Waist Circumference

Discussion of peer refereed articles and clinical applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6612
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:12 am

Jungledoc wrote:Yeah. And he called Ironman ugly. Away with him.
I think he meant his avatar, and he's right on that account. Anyway, off with his head.

User avatar
TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
Posts: 3129
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:04 am
Location: Va Beach, Va

Post by TimD » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:27 pm

Just saw this. If's he's not banned already by Ironman, he will be in 5 seconds.
Tim

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Post by Ironman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:38 pm

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

LMFAO!

Utterly hilarious! What is this guy 12 or something? "uh yea and he's a big ugly poopyhead too!" lol what a moron. He's in desperate need of a spell check too. It also might be nice if one would lube up before anal raping the English language.

I smoked a lot of pot back then, but yea I do still remember playing D&D.

Is this guy channeling the dumb jock character from a bad 80's movie? WTF?!
..fool I don't even have to say $h1t and I still get some..
Yea, sheep are lousy conversationalists.

I guess I probably should ban him. Flaming is against the rules. Usually I like to warn people, but this is kind of trolling, and he has contributed nothing. He also seems to show nothing but contempt for the site. He is also a cancerous tumor on the anus of humanity. So I suppose that's ban-worthy.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Post by frogbyte » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

In fairness though the avatar is horridly ugly.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:31 pm

frogbyte wrote:In fairness though the avatar is horridly ugly.
A matter of opinion!

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Post by frogbyte » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:13 pm

True, Jungledoc. I'm sure some people find it blindingly ugly.

User avatar
ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1122
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:44 am

Post by ApolytonGP » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:29 pm

I'm getting a hard time having my avatar load. even resized it and all.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:41 pm

frogbyte wrote:True, Jungledoc. I'm sure some people find it blindingly ugly.
No me. Adorable and wise, much like the man it represents.

User avatar
ApolytonGP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1122
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:44 am

Post by ApolytonGP » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:45 pm

slurrrp

User avatar
Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3991
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am

Post by Ironman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:36 am

I don't understand what's wrong with the shaved cat. It's kind of funny because it is shaved, and it has a funny look on it's face.

Do some people not like cats? Or is it having a lion cut disturbing to some people?

I really don't understand. There are certain things I don't understand. Like for example, many social conventions I only know in terms of when X happens execute program Y. Program Y consists of things one says and/or does which I memorized. So I can appear normal, however I don't have any understanding of it. I know it's because people feel a certain way about whatever the situation is, but I don't feel that way or see any reason why someone would. So I can only train myself to react appropriately, but I am not able to understand it.

Another example would be that a certain behavior might be considered rude. When I see someone doing it, I don't care because I don't understand what is wrong with it. It makes no sense. So I take no offense, I don't care. However I do know that other people are likely to take offense and may dislike that person. I don't know why, but I do know it is so.

So it could just be one of those things.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:28 am

Ironman wrote:So it could just be one of those things.
It's not. It's just a funny-looking cat.

frogbyte
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Post by frogbyte » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:37 am

It's definitely not just one of those things. In fact it's two of those things. I distinctly see two horridly shaved kitty boobs flopping around.

taifun
n00b
n00b
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:20 pm
Location: Austin

Post by taifun » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:57 pm

Jungledoc wrote:I asked the question earlier, and maybe it just sounded like I was being my usual sarcastic self, and didn't sound like a serious question. I really don't understand the utility of BF measurement. What difference does it make?
Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but finding out my BF% was useful for me. I had a DEXA done to find out my bone density and, as bonus, was informed of my BF%. Turns out it was < 4%. I had no idea I was so close to having a dangerously low BF level, and I've been eating a lot more since then.

I just assumed I was at ~10% +/- 2-3% because pictures of bodybuilders who have < 5% BF always have giant bulging veins, incredibly well defined muscles, etc., and I didn't see that in myself when I looked in the mirror. I guess all that pre-contest stuff bodybuilders do makes more of a difference than I thought.

I compete in a sport where performance is heavily dependent on strength:weight ratio (climbing), so I still try to keep my weight down, but my performance has improved tremendously since letting my weight go up a bit (as have my numbers in the gym, although I don't really care about those).

As you say, there are other ways I could have found out that I was at a sub-optimal weight, but getting a BF measurement is easy, so why not?

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks. That is a situation where it is helpful, but I'd suspect an unusual one. There is no danger at all that MY bf is TOO LOW!

For most situations I think functional measures and general appearance are enough.

Nevage
Member
Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Post by Nevage » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:24 pm

Hahaha I only just read the last two pages of this thread! So funny! The shaved cat always makes me laugh, would be cooler if it's fur was dyed the same colour as a lion's though.

Locked