Page 2 of 3

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:06 am
by Oscar_Actuary
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Gluteus ... Squat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:15 am
by _Wolf_
CorlessJohnJ wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:He deads 500. I'm not worried about his hams and glutes.

Wow. Impressive. Ill make sure when I attempt 495 ill make sure i add the 2.5's to join the club k doc ;) lol
You have to. Those darn 2.5's have stopped me many times!!! :-(

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:17 am
by _Wolf_
CorlessJohnJ wrote:http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadric ... Squat.html

wolf check out that target muscle.
I don't do Front Squats to target any muscle though. I'm not sure what I am supposed to be looking for. It's the same exercise done with a cross grip.

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:56 am
by Oscar_Actuary
_Wolf_ wrote:
CorlessJohnJ wrote:http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadric ... Squat.html

wolf check out that target muscle.
I don't do Front Squats to target any muscle though. I'm not sure what I am supposed to be looking for. It's the same exercise done with a cross grip.
ok, I'll bite.

Why are you doing them ?
Are you just saying you're doing them as part of building overall strength and not to "grow big quads"? As in growth is a side effect but not a goal? Or are you saying there is some non strength/muscle related reason you do them, like, you enjoy the pain of 300 lbs across your clavical?

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:47 am
by _Wolf_
Well, I love Front Squats and that is why I want to get strong on them. I don't care at all about getting bigger quads or glutes or whatever else. I do love the feeling of 300+ pounds sitting on my clavicle. It isn't pain because I associate pain with something negative. Nobody is forcing me to lift lol.. And I have no morbid fascination of hurting my body haha so I really am doing FSQ because they make me happy.

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:49 am
by CorlessJohnJ
_Wolf_ wrote:Well, I love Front Squats and that is why I want to get strong on them. I don't care at all about getting bigger quads or glutes or whatever else. I do love the feeling of 300+ pounds sitting on my clavicle. It isn't pain because I associate pain with something negative. Nobody is forcing me to lift lol.. And I have no morbid fascination of hurting my body haha so I really am doing FSQ because they make me happy.

Thats more than enough reason. I'll do them eventually. Not sure where I would throw them in though lol

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:37 am
by _Wolf_
Well, if you wanted to add them in now, you would have to put some things on the back burner and focus on them to get better at them. But it can be done - at any time you want. You just have to be open to learning something new and for that to happen you need to love what you're doing.

This is how I look at it because at the end of it nobody is forcing you at gun point to deadlift or front squat or run or jump or whatever else you train for. You want this. You.

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:57 pm
by Jungledoc
John, when I was trying to incorporate front squats (I'm not at the moment) I started adding them to my squat warm-up, and gradually increased how much weight I'd use. So, I'd alternate sets of FS and BS with light weights. Or I'd add in a few sets of FS on my "light" squat day.

Unlike wolf, I hated the feeling of any weight sitting on my clavicles. I could never get good arm position to feel secure with them, so I always had the feeling that the bar was about to roll down my arms and off my elbows. I haven't given up on them forever, but I have bigger issues to work on.

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:06 pm
by CorlessJohnJ
Jungledoc wrote:John, when I was trying to incorporate front squats (I'm not at the moment) I started adding them to my squat warm-up, and gradually increased how much weight I'd use. So, I'd alternate sets of FS and BS with light weights. Or I'd add in a few sets of FS on my "light" squat day.

Unlike wolf, I hated the feeling of any weight sitting on my clavicles. I could never get good arm position to feel secure with them, so I always had the feeling that the bar was about to roll down my arms and off my elbows. I haven't given up on them forever, but I have bigger issues to work on.

I did the front squats tonight after deep squats... amazing workout also did lunges. Definitely killed it im gonna be a weirdo and post my workout first time in ages haha

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:09 pm
by Jungledoc
So, people who post their workouts are wierdos?

Wow. That guy calls me a moron, and now you call me a wierdo. My self esteem has taken a major plunge today! :grin:

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:13 pm
by _Wolf_
Jungledoc wrote:John, when I was trying to incorporate front squats (I'm not at the moment) I started adding them to my squat warm-up, and gradually increased how much weight I'd use. So, I'd alternate sets of FS and BS with light weights. Or I'd add in a few sets of FS on my "light" squat day.

Unlike wolf, I hated the feeling of any weight sitting on my clavicles. I could never get good arm position to feel secure with them, so I always had the feeling that the bar was about to roll down my arms and off my elbows. I haven't given up on them forever, but I have bigger issues to work on.
Were you using a cross grip or a clean grip?

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:16 pm
by CorlessJohnJ
Jungledoc wrote:So, people who post their workouts are wierdos?

Wow. That guy calls me a moron, and now you call me a wierdo. My self esteem has taken a major plunge today! :grin:

doc im referring to myself for being weird for randomly posting a workout when i dont post regularly...haha

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:00 am
by robertscott
Jungledoc wrote:So, people who post their workouts are wierdos?

Wow. That guy calls me a moron, and now you call me a wierdo. My self esteem has taken a major plunge today! :grin:
don't forget my abusive haiku. The tide has turned against you Andy

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:33 am
by Jungledoc
Wow. I've been moroned, wierdoed and haikued.

Wolf, I've used both. I like the clean grip better, but I can only put 2 fingers on the bar. The cross grip works OK, but it feels odd to me.

Re: To go deep or not to go

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:16 am
by stuward
Andy, my daughter is studying journalism and I've told her that if she doesn't pi$$ someone off once in a while, she's not doing her job. You're obviously doing something right.