Discussion of peer refereed articles and clinical applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

AdHoc
n00b
n00b

5x5 and cycling

Post by AdHoc » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi

I have 2 months to train for a ~100km (62mi) road cycling race. I'm not unfit, but I definitely don't have the endurance for it.
I gym 4 days a week and often do mountain biking on weekends for ~25 - 30 km (15 - 18 mi).

Can someone please give me some advice on how to go about training for this without losing all my weight training gains?
I was thinking a 5x5 for 3 days a week type routine with 1.5 - 2 hours cycling per day for 2 or 3 days as well.

Jungledoc

Re: 5x5 and cycling

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:41 am

That sounds like you're training for a weightlifting event without losing your cycling skills. If you want to train for cycling, then prioritize cycling. Lift once a week until you are done with your cycling event. Don't try to go for gains, just maintenance.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

AdHoc
n00b
n00b

Post by AdHoc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I found a similar answer on another forum (www. catalystathletics. com/forum/showthread.php?t=6269).

Except they suggest 2x full body workouts and a minimum of 3 endurance sessions.
The workouts are in the form of squat, push and pull.
I'm somewhat unsure as to which push and pull exercises to do.
Maybe barbell bench and barbell bent over row? :con:

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:38 pm

If you're doing 2 workouts, do bench and row on one, press and pull up on the other.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Whether 1 or 2 just depends on how much time and energy you have. 1 is plenty for maintaining.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan