Best covering for weight bench?

Discussions concerning various equipments, accessories, homemade items, gadgets, etc used in the pursuit of fitness

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

Llemna
n00b
n00b

Best covering for weight bench?

Post by Llemna » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:59 pm

This is a long shot but . . .

I just bought a rack and now I need a bench. I plan to build something. I plan to cover the top in upholstery foam and then ??? My first thought is just to use vinyl but I thought I would ask here in case there is a better covering I should look use.

The idea of something non-vinyl is appealing in some ways but I suspect it would quickly become a mess since it would be tough to clean it. I am more concerned about function than style.

Ideas?

Thanks,

L~

KenDowns
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Re: Best covering for weight bench?

Post by KenDowns » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:37 am

I just used a plain old plank for years. Sometimes I'd drape a towel over it if I wasn't wearing a shirt.

Llemna
n00b
n00b

Post by Llemna » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:34 pm

It sounds like (as usual) I am overthinking things. Thanks for the wake-up call.

L~

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Something that is non slip is best, but you should be able to wipe sweat off easily.
Stu Ward
Thanks TimD

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:17 am

If you want to go quality, I think upholstery leather would be the way to go. I think it is more durable than vinyl, and less slippery. Non-slip is the most important quality for daily function. There are lots of cleaning products for leather. I think you can get a spray that you would apply, then wipe off. I don't know how expensive this would be, but it wouldn't be a big piece. I'm guessing that an upholstery shop could sew up the corners for you, or even do the whole job of covering your top at a not-too-extravagant price. Or else just use a plank.
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan

kia10
former lurker

Post by kia10 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:29 am

Llemna wrote:This is a long shot but . . .

I just bought a rack and now I need a. I plan to build something. I plan to cover the top in upholstery foam and then ??? My first thought is just to use vinyl but I thought I would ask here in case there is a better covering I should look use.

The idea of something non-vinyl is appealing in some ways but I suspect it would quickly become a mess since it would be tough to clean it. I am more concerned about function than style.

Ideas?

Thanks,

L~
HI
I think leather covering is best for weight bench. It is comfortable in use and easy to clean.

Alexa1994
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Alexa1994 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:37 am

I used dumble for bell dumble for my daily routine stretching.