I have a few questions I want to ask

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Celena
former lurker

I have a few questions I want to ask

Post by Celena » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:45 pm

Up until now my strategy for balancing push/pull is "do chins on press day, rows on bench day." I'm wondering if I need to go any further with that now that I'm on 5/3/1 and accessories come into the picture.

So for press, I do the 5/3/1, then 30 chins, then a press variation. It seems silly to get too hung up in trying to balance tonnage, intensity and so forth, so if I'm doing 30+ chins and 40+ presses between 5/3/1 and accessories, is that pretty much good enough?

For bench, I do the 5/3/1 and 25 more accessory bench reps, but only the 5/3/1 for row. So I've got more than 2:1 push to pull for both reps and tonnage. This seems more out of whack, is that anything to worry about? (NOTE: I'm making great progress on rows treating it as a main lift and would much prefer to keep doing that for as long as it works)

Finally for lower body:

1) Is deadlift really a pull compared to squat's push? Does just doing both create the balance?

2) If not, is something like GHR a true lower body pull, and should I be looking to add something in to maintain balance?

3) This is really questions 1 and 2 restated again, but right now I'm loaded up with lower body push accessories, doing Bulgarians twice/week on top of squats and a pause squat variation. Am I ignoring pull in lower body?

Lancer21
n00b
n00b

Re: I have a few questions I want to ask

Post by Lancer21 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:07 pm

I've got a question too: I wanted to ask how I should exercise during summer in a warm country.
The thing is that my wife and I were eyeing these houses in Greece, and I'd like to keep exercising even there.
So, I had four solutions, which one would be the best?
-Exercise regardless of the temperature, but in shorter seances and with more hydration and showers.
-Exercise early in the morning
-Exercise in a room with air conditioning
-Ditch the workout routine and go cycle or swim instead

4l3x
n00b
n00b

Post by 4l3x » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:15 pm

Celena wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:45 pm
balancing push/pull
Why do you care about balancing push/pull?
Celena wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:45 pm
I'm on 5/3/1
Hopefully 5/3/1 is working for you, if not it's probably not worth tinkering with, if i wanted a free, general strength or powerlfting specific cookie cutter program, I'd go with barbell medicine's The Bridge, Barbell Medicine's general strength training, RTS generalized intermediate program, Greg Nuckols' 28, or Average to Savage ($5).

Garrygb
n00b
n00b

Post by Garrygb » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:22 am

I would advise you flat belly fix workout! Just read this interesting review https://sports-liputan6.com/the-flat-belly-fix-review