Bit always hurts, weather the weight or light or heavy
Always warmed up first too
Any reason why ????

tostig
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Pain in lower back when doing leg extn

Post by tostig » Sat May 09, 2020 3:31 pm

Is this the machine where you sit and raise your leg?

This isn't a natural movement. I'm guessing you're overloading yourself and you're contorting your back trying to lift heavier.

If you really want to do quad exercises, do the leg press or squats.

4l3x
n00b
n00b

Re: Pain in lower back when doing leg extn

Post by 4l3x » Mon May 11, 2020 4:19 pm

Leg extensions don't put much stress on your back, I am curious if there may be something else that stressed out your back. If the pain now only occurs while you are doing leg extensions I would expect that this is related to you being hyper vigilant (you mentioned that you stretch and foam roll on top of warming up). Is there a load that you can perform the exercise with minimal pain? If you can find an entry point where the pain may be present but is tolerable and not scary then you should slowly work back up from there. You may want to just sit in a normal chair and do some unloaded leg extensions to start.

While you are rebuilding your leg extension, you should probably use other exercises to get your hypertrophy stimulus (as tostig mentioned leg press and squats are both exercises that you could use). However, I will say that I don't see any way or reason to label a movement as natural. (I guess you could say: Whoa! your head just spun 720deg, that's unnatural, lets go to the hospital! but sitting down and extending your legs reminds me more of a toddler who's feet don't reach the floor than an unnatural shapeshifting alien). I realize I'm strawmanning the argument, but telling someone that leg extensions are dangerous when they are already having trouble is a harmful placebo.