HELP! please!

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Mog16
Apprentice
Apprentice

HELP! please!

Post by Mog16 » Mon May 07, 2007 6:08 pm

Hi, I've got a desperate cry for help. I'm trying to help my girlfriend lose weight and get into shape but I've hit a major snag. We're three weeks in and she isn't noticing a difference and she's getting frustrated and wants to give up. I've been following what I consider a good weight loss program for a beginning lifter: total body lifting every other day which looks something like this: Leg press, straight legged dead lift, bench press, assisted pull ups, assisted dips, and rows for three sets of 10-15 reps. Additionally we swim laps for about 45 mins 4-5 times a week. (some notes about the lifts, I have her doing less leg volume and the exercises listed because she has pretty bad hip and knee pain and is unable to squat, lunge, or step up). While her diet isn't perfect it is much better than what she was eating before (biggest improvement is more protein). Any suggestions? I need help cuz she is pissed as hell at me because it isn't working.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon May 07, 2007 10:07 pm

OOOOOO, tread carefully. Tell her she didn't get fat in 3 weeks so she shouldn't expect to get skinny in 3 weeks. No, don't do that. All you can do is be supportive and encouraging. Ask one of your friends to say something to her. Maybe something like, "Dang baby, if you weren't with Mog16...." Well, not that but have someone ask if she has lost some weight or simply say something like has she done something different with her hair. Then when she denies that, they can say well, whatever it is it is working.

If all else fails, dump her and get you a new one. They are running loose all over town. Once again, I am kidding.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: HELP! please!

Post by Stephen Johnson » Mon May 07, 2007 10:28 pm

Mog16 wrote: I have her doing less leg volume and the exercises listed because she has pretty bad hip and knee pain and is unable to squat, lunge, or step up.
That portion of your response stood out to me. The intense lower body exercises are the ones that really impact a person's overall physique. If she can't do them, it's not surprising that her results haven't been that good.

Has she consulted an orthopedist about her hip/knee pain? Has she thought about physical therapy for her joints? It might be better for her to focus more on diet - a woman I know lost substantial weight last year by just eating meat/poultry/fish, fruits and vegetables, and walking 30 minutes a day 4-6 times a week.

leif3141
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by leif3141 » Tue May 08, 2007 11:52 am

hoosegow wrote:OOOOOO, tread carefully. Tell her she didn't get fat in 3 weeks so she shouldn't expect to get skinny in 3 weeks. No, don't do that. All you can do is be supportive and encouraging. Ask one of your friends to say something to her. Maybe something like, "Dang baby, if you weren't with Mog16...." Well, not that but have someone ask if she has lost some weight or simply say something like has she done something different with her hair. Then when she denies that, they can say well, whatever it is it is working.

If all else fails, dump her and get you a new one. They are running loose all over town. Once again, I am kidding.
Hahahahaha...this is funny and so true. To mog, you're kinda screwed anyway you look at it. That is why you take a hit in the bank and send her to a personal trainer instead...that way HE gets the blame (well, at least some of it) if it does not work. Also, telling a woman she needs to loose weight is like telling a man he knows nothing of cars (or some other "Manly" thing)- it just pisses them off. The complete opposite is true of men- I was more motivated to loose when people told me I was fat and made me feel bad about myself. Whatever the reason I am glad I have lost it...but most people need to see improvements right away to continue and if she is not...worry more about the diet than the exercises. Sacrifice must be made with diet, and even if you cut out all sugars, starches, and other things that are bad to eat if you're trying to loose weight, if you still make up for it with just as many calories from other sources, the weight will not come off!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue May 08, 2007 1:55 pm

I would go with heavy weight 8 to 10 reps to failure. Do plenty of legpress and a couple different types of deadlift. Then maybe a dumbbell or barbell complex. Diet is important too. Have her cut back on the carbs. When it comes to training you can't think of a woman as a delicate flower. She can do the same lifts with the same intensity as a man. This sort of thing always gets good results.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Tue May 08, 2007 7:24 pm

Encourage her to focus on performance, since she'll likely see improvements there long before she notices any change in her appearance.

Mog16
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mog16 » Wed May 09, 2007 3:17 am

She is busting her butt in the gym, I think she's probably even putting in more intensity than I do when I lift. I think that she's just super frustrated because she's not seeing any progress...so we decided that we need some quantitative method of measuring progress. Since she's afraid that stepping on the scale will make her give up all hope I think we're gonna try and do measurements (waist, hip, chest, right upper arm, right calf) those sound like alright sites?