New to the Kettlebell

Discussions concerning various equipments, accessories, homemade items, gadgets, etc used in the pursuit of fitness

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

New to the Kettlebell

Post by TeeBee » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:29 pm

I like my new kettlebell, but it's not going to supplant weight training. So far, the cardio KB training suits me best (swinging it between your legs, whatever that motion is called).

So I'd recommend getting a KB or two -- just make sure you get a heavy one. I mean, pressing a 30-lb. KB over my head ain't doing much for me.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:56 pm

Did you get a didgeridoo to go with it?

Dissident
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dissident » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:06 pm

Ironman wrote:Did you get a didgeridoo to go with it?
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

halarious

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:41 am

Good call. I think kettlebells are better for conditioning then they are for serious strength training. Meanwhile, you might want to try performing complexes with it. Kettlebells work well for this type or training, since the exact poundage isn't critical.

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TeeBee » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:35 am

"Did you get a didgeridoo to go with it?"

Explain the joke, lad.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:13 am

It refers to a previous joke video that I found that had a guy balancing on a bosu ball, pressing a kettlebell and playing a digeradoo.

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TeeBee » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:21 am

From "The Ed Sullivan Show: The Lost Years."

As for the BOSU thing, maybe it's good for sit-ups?

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:33 am

Every tool has it's use. Ironman had been ranting (rightly so) about trainers always trying to use the latest thing in some new manner to differentiate themselves from the pack. Here's the link to the video:
http://physicalstrategies.blogspot.com/ ... ebell.html

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:14 am

Moving this over to toys and accessories
TB, they can be used in conjuntion with regular BB's for strength, if you have a big enough bell for presses, but they are mainly used for conditioning. The Girevoy sport is mainly how mainly based on how many snatches or long chain clean and jerks can you do in a given time period. Intersting little tool, and can be useful.
Tim

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:06 am

I'd like one because it seems easier grip-wise for some exercises - dumbbell cleans, dumbbell rows, dumbbell swings. For example, I did dumbbell swings today (that's the swing-between your legs and then up over your head move) and I had to stack one hand over the other. That's not so comfortable as the weight increases, I'd rather have them side by side on a kettlebell handle.

I'm kind of tempted by a set of the Ironmind kettlebell handles, though - so I can fine-tune the weight instead of buying a big set of kettlebells. The grip being over the weights would make dumbell rowing a bit easier...not so many worries about the size of the plates causing ROM issues.

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmi ... umber=1275

For me this is a long way off, but it's tempting. Not cheap, but at least I know Ironmind stuff is built solid.

TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:08 am

I've tried a plate loading handle similar to Ironmand;s. For wings, yep, they are reat. Very comfortable gripwise, but one thing I didn't like, is when doing snatches or cleans, you have the weight flipping over at the top, and the end of the plate comes smashing down on your wrist, much more so than when the reular kb smacks it.
Td

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:14 am

I tried a few swings on one of those at a gym I go to infrequently and it felt so flimsy I thought it would fall apart so I put it back down. I could just imagine a bunch of plates flying across the room.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:55 pm

Ah, good information guys. I wouldn't worry about the plates flying off the Ironmind handle, though - you need a wrench to close the collars it comes with so they are on good and tight. Tighter than the spinlock dumbell I use now!

I can see why the edge of the plates whacking you would suck, too. Maybe I'd need to get one of these, rounded-edged plates, and then wrap it in a towel or something when I used it. Wouldn't make it very quick-change on weights by any means, though.

Peter

TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:23 pm

There is an adjustable thing out on the market, where you take parts out or add and get 3 or 4 different size balls. I think the name is USA kettlebell
Interesting little tool, I was thinking of getting one
Tim

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:03 pm

I found these:

http://www.kettlestack.com/

and these:

http://www.uskettlebells.com/

At a guess it's the second ones you are referring to. Look interesting, so I bookmarked them for if/when I move back to the states.