combining metcon and strength workouts for ski season

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

MikeS
n00b
n00b

combining metcon and strength workouts for ski season

Post by MikeS » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:46 pm

In preparation for this winter's ski season, I'm putting together an exercise program for myself. I'd like to keep up the strength work I've been doing, increasing somewhat the concentration on leg work in the pre-season, but also incorporate some lower-body conditioning work -- box jumps, for example.

So far I've been doing a three-day strength workout, MWF with high-intensity short duration cardio on the rest days.

Any suggestions as to how to incorporate lower body conditioning exercises like that into a program so as not to compromise the benefits either of the conditioning or the strength elements?

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:01 pm

Whenever I've included short plyometric routines (15 minutes or less) in my training, I did it before lifting. Power exercises should be done before strength training.

If the plyometric routine is longer, you might try adding one before one of your HIIT workouts and see what happens. If the HIIT doesn't suffer after a couple of weeks, add the routine before two HIIT sessions.

You might want to go to crossfit and bounce your question off them if you need more info.

MikeS
n00b
n00b

Post by MikeS » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:45 pm

Thanks, Stephen. Can you expand on your suggestion that power exercises should be done before strength training? Not that I disagree, just that I'm interested in how the two types of training interact physiologically.

Thanks a lot.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:53 pm

Not Stephen, but in most cases, and excuse me if I read this wrong, the power exercises are the one requiring the most technique. The clean/snatch and their variations are (with a few exceptions) best done prior to any strenuous squatting or Pressing due to the fact that if you were already pretty well tired from heavy squatting, it would negatively affect your powerclean, whereas power cleans going first really won' negatively impact your squat. It isn't always set up like this; this is just a general rule of thumb for most situations.
Tim

MikeS
n00b
n00b

Post by MikeS » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:56 pm

Got it -- thanks, TimD.

But if my "power exercises" consist more of plyometrics like box jumps and other things to develop more explosive power and conditioning for skiing, and not highly technique-intensive lifts like cleans etc., it seems like maybe I should do my strength work first, while I'm rested, and do the plyometrics subsequently. I know my legs always feel shot after a couple sets of box jumps, and I feel like that would negatively impact my squat training.

Would that make sense?

TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:38 pm

OK, with that said, yes, I agree with the plyo's coming last, or possibly interspersed with the strength stuff. Coach Javorek dedicates thend of his workouts for the plyo's, and sometimes encorporates box jumps or body weight verticals with heavy squats. On some of the programs you will do a set of squats, and immediately follow it with a set of box jumps, rest, repeat the dequence. With no great need for technique, they could easily follow.
Tim

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:41 pm

MikeS wrote:. I know my legs always feel shot after a couple sets of box jumps, and I feel like that would negatively impact my squat training.
Funny, I found that heavy leg work killed my jumping ability, so I did the plyometrics first. But if your legs are rubbery after box jumps, by all means do them after strength work.

MikeS
n00b
n00b

Post by MikeS » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:07 am

Awesome -- thanks for the advice, guys! Very helpful.

Donsweeneyny
n00b
n00b

Nice article on getting ready for skiing

Post by Donsweeneyny » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:54 am