winged scapula

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

snackan
former lurker

winged scapula

Post by snackan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:49 am

Hello!

I have a winged scapula ( only right scapula ) and I want to fix it of course. I have been seeing a physitherapist, and she gave me some exercises; among them:

outward rototar cuff, 2 stretch exercises and 2 more exercises I dont know the name for, but they exercise shoulders and back of shoulders/rotator cuff etc. and one exercise for the brachi, and seated row.

I dont hve much of a problem with it, just when I I exercise my brachi, then the pain sometimes come a couple of days after that exercise.

I wonder if someone have had the same problem and what exercises they did, and I also wonder, how long it take/took to recover and will the scapula go back to its normal position when you are recovered?

thx

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:24 pm

It sounds fine to me. Getting sore is ok. Just keep at it. It is hard to say how long it will take. Just keep doing it regularly and then go back to your doctor for a follow up visit.

Matt
n00b
n00b

Post by Matt » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:33 pm

I have this to some extent, but was due to partial paralysis (brachial plexus problem). I think it's better after general exercises. The winged scapula can come from neurologic damage to the long thoracic nerve which innervates the serratus anterior muscle. In my opinion the rotator cuff exercises you suggested sound appropriate but don't actually address the winged scapula. However, as I said above if you are doing push ups or bench presses, and rowing movements, shoulder press (with appropriate weights) plus the tune ups with the rotator cuff group I would think that's all you need (plus plenty of time). Prior to my brachial plexopathy I didn't used to do any weight training but since then have been at it for 5 months now. Weakness was not just in the serratus but to some extent bilaterally, both deltoids (L > R), definitely the supraspinatus on left. If you do not yet know the cause of your winged scapula you may want to get physician diagnosis (some cases could be of a more serious nature). Good luck.
Matt F