Squatting in limited space.

Discussions concerning various equipments, accessories, homemade items, gadgets, etc used in the pursuit of fitness

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Jaymond
Rookie
Rookie

Squatting in limited space.

Post by Jaymond » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:44 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking for a good way to squat at home. I'm living with the in-laws at the moment, and have a small area in the garage for my weights stuff, so I really have to try to keep things as small and as portable as possible. Right now I'm squatting from a couple of big hooks hanging from rope from a couple of crossbeams in the garage, but as my squat pushes 90kg, this is not a long term solution!

Due to space constraints again, I use a 5 1/2 foot standard bar, so I'm limited in the width of the rack also.

I'm tending towards having 2 separate squat stands which can be easily put in a corner and suit any bar length.
http://www.cyber-market.com.au/product_ ... cts_id=235

Has anyone used this kind of a setup before? Good/bad points? How much weight can be safely supported in this way?

thanks heaps

Jay

edit: Should this be moved to the "general" area? I wasn't sure...

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:05 am

The topic could go in either one. We're not supercritical around here anyway. It is a "training toy" so I'll just leave it along.
Now to the point, I like it, big time. I've used stands before. They're easy to stash away and don't take up much space. The problem I;ve had with them was that mine were free standing, non adjustable in height w/no safety rails. You're are adjustable, and have safety rails.When I got my current rack (cage) I saw one just like you showed the picture of (BodySolid) and I almost got it as it was a lot cheaper than the cage. I choose the cage as it could probably handle much more weight with stability . You do have a good base with the afety rail base, just probably not AS stable. For your circumstances, I'd g for it. The hook idea is great too, I wouldn't dismantle it.
Tim

Jaymond
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jaymond » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:25 pm

Well I'm getting the stands for xmas. I'll post again after and let you know how they go.

thanks

Jay

tommytraining
former lurker

Post by tommytraining » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Bump, Did you ever get those stands? They are the cheapest I've seen but Scare me about how much weight they could handle?

Jaymond
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jaymond » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:55 am

Weird to get an email about this thread almost 2 years later!

I did get the stands, and I used them up until about 6 months ago, when I moved to London.

I have had up to 108kgs on them without any trouble, and I would probably trust them with more weight... maybe up to 150kg or so, but by the time I'm squatting 150, I'll have upgraded to a proper cage I think.

I never trusted the "safety rails" on these stands... they're just too short. I ended up using a couple of cheap saw horses for this purpose.

If space is an issue, these stands are perfect.

J