Personal Trainers

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Are you a personal trainer?

Yes
8%
No
25%
Studying to become one
25%
not interested
42%

Total votes: 12

corless319_

Personal Trainers

Post by corless319_ » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:24 am

I have heard people ask questions on here about what to study to help with tests and all that. Do personal trainers make a lot of money? Or is it satisfying to help someone get in shape and change their life around? I'm sure it would be but I never considered being a personal trainer before untill five minutes ago. I have been reading studying and lifting weights on and off since I was 13 (ten years) and I love it. I also love to help people lift and get bigger stronger and in shape. Do you have to go to college to become a personal trainer? If thats the route I'd have to go it would be harder due to the fact that I work a normal american life 40 hours a week have two kids and a gf so yea. Long story short. Could I become a personal trainer by studying when I'm home and then going somewhere to take a test and get certified?

John

amivan

Re: Personal Trainers

Post by amivan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:03 am

corless319_ wrote:I have heard people ask questions on here about what to study to help with tests and all that. Do personal trainers make a lot of money? Or is it satisfying to help someone get in shape and change their life around? I'm sure it would be but I never considered being a personal trainer before untill five minutes ago. I have been reading studying and lifting weights on and off since I was 13 (ten years) and I love it. I also love to help people lift and get bigger stronger and in shape. Do you have to go to college to become a personal trainer? If thats the route I'd have to go it would be harder due to the fact that I work a normal american life 40 hours a week have two kids and a gf so yea. Long story short. Could I become a personal trainer by studying when I'm home and then going somewhere to take a test and get certified?

John
To answer your question, yes you could just study when you're home and then go somewhere to take a test to get certified (though of course it's easier said than done), I recommend the NSCA and/or ACSM certifications. To find out more about that check out:

http://www.nsca-lift.org/
http://www.acsm.org/

These are the two most respected certifications that come to mind.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:06 am

You can become a personal trainer w/ out certification, but chances are you wont get hired because that shows no proof of credentials in the field.

Hercules
n00b
n00b

Post by Hercules » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:51 pm

For more specific NSCA-CPT info, click here:

http://www.nsca-cc.org/

grappler_123
n00b
n00b

Post by grappler_123 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:54 am

Personal training can be a lot of fun. I was a personal trainer for a couple years back in 01-02. It is very rewarding to see your clients reach their goals. Reaching physical goals does so much for people: empowers them, makes them feel good about themselves, more energy, more focus, etc.

I made some money, but not much. Difference was I worked for a gym, where I only made about $27 out of the $80 a session the gym charged. $27 an hour sounds good, but its very difficult to schedule your clients back-to-back, and it can be hard to have enough clients to fill a 40 hour week.

I also worked under a lot of restrictions, things I wasn't allowed to do, and things I had to do, whether they fit in with the clients expectations, wants or needs. Eventually, I stopped enjoying what I was doing, and in training, if you are not happy, either are your clients.

If I could do it over again, I would freelance. Most certifications will include quite a bit about legal requirements, marketing, an general information for the freelance trainer.

My advice would be to get your certification and work at a gym for a bit for the experience, and then freelance. Unless you can find a gym that is trainer friendly, but I haven't found one yet that works well with trainers.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:18 pm

Personal training can be a lot of fun. I was a personal trainer for a couple years back in 01-02. It is very rewarding to see your clients reach their goals. Reaching physical goals does so much for people: empowers them, makes them feel good about themselves, more energy, more focus, etc.

I made some money, but not much. Difference was I worked for a gym, where I only made about $27 out of the $80 a session the gym charged. $27 an hour sounds good, but its very difficult to schedule your clients back-to-back, and it can be hard to have enough clients to fill a 40 hour week.

I also worked under a lot of restrictions, things I wasn't allowed to do, and things I had to do, whether they fit in with the clients expectations, wants or needs. Eventually, I stopped enjoying what I was doing, and in training, if you are not happy, either are your clients.

If I could do it over again, I would freelance. Most certifications will include quite a bit about legal requirements, marketing, an general information for the freelance trainer.

My advice would be to get your certification and work at a gym for a bit for the experience, and then freelance. Unless you can find a gym that is trainer friendly, but I haven't found one yet that works well with trainers.
Thats accually a good thing for me to know, I was thinking of doing that as a side job in the future. Now I know what to expect.