Improvised O-bar collars?

Discussions concerning various equipments, accessories, homemade items, gadgets, etc used in the pursuit of fitness

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Jungledoc

Improvised O-bar collars?

Post by Jungledoc » Sun May 25, 2008 2:25 am

Does any know, or have any ideas as to how to improvise collars for an Olympic bar? I live in Papua New Guinea, so I can't exactly run down to Big 4 or whatever to buy a small item. I'm having someone bring me a pair from the US, but I want to do overhead lifts, and I don't want to go dumping weights off the bar, or having them slide and throw me off balance. I'm unsteady enough as it is!

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun May 25, 2008 5:07 am

I'm not sure what type of materials you would have there, but here's what I would try with a bare minimum of tools. I'd go down to a building material store, and try and find a short length of pipe with an inside dianmeter that would fit over the end of your bar. Cut it to length for both side. Then I'd get ahold of tap and some set screws. Drill a hole smaller than the set screw diameter, then use the tap and die set to cut grooves for your set screw.Not the best, but it should work.
Tim

Manofsteel319

Post by Manofsteel319 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:54 am

tim is a genius. Brilliant! Brilliant! could a small belt work? No idea. Tim's option is most likely as good as an option you'll get.

Chris_A
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Chris_A » Tue May 27, 2008 2:04 pm