Building Perfect Pectorals

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Needsmuscle
former lurker

Building Perfect Pectorals

Post by Needsmuscle » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:31 am

Hi everone,

I need to know how to build perfect pectorals.
Can anyone please tell me EVERY excercise for the chest becasue there are about 4 different muscles in the chest (Pectoralis Major,Sternal, Clavicular, Pectoralis Minor, Serratus Anterior).

Does anyone know the specific exercises to train ALL of these?

PS: Im looking to build perfect, square pecs - not rounded, circular pecs.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:35 am

Start by looking it up yourself in the exercise and muscle directory here at this site. Take the link from the home page to Weight training. It's all covered in there.
Tim

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:50 am

Shape is genetic. There is no changing that. Just pick a an exercise for each major head. The other 2 will be worked with those, and so will your anterior delts and triceps.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:58 pm

For the Sternal Pectorals I'd recomend ONE of the following:
Barbell Bench Press
Barbell Decline Press
Dumbbell Bench Press
Dumbbell Decline Press
Chest Dips

For the Clavicular Pectorals I'd recomend ONE of the following:
Barbell Incline Press
Dumbbell Incline Press

Meanwhile the smaller muscles of the chest don't really need to be targeted specifically. They recieve enough work from other exercises.

PS) I agree with Ironman. The general shape of the pectorals (square vrs round) is purely genetic.

work of art
n00b
n00b

perfect pecs

Post by work of art » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Most chest exercises work most chest fibers,check out the muscle directory of this site for exercises.

standAPART
Rookie
Rookie

Post by standAPART » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:24 am

The pectorals are one muscle. Those are attachments you've listed. Because it is "fan shaped", different parts of the pectorals can be emphasized, but nothing can "isolate" any one part. I'd go with the follwoing exercises:
Barbell Bench
Decline DBs press
Pullover
Standing flyes on cable

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:20 pm

That lacks emphasis on the clavicular head. Also pullovers doesn't work the chest hardly at all. It is mostly a lat exercise. It got lumped with chest because people used to think it expanded the chest cavity. Cable flys are virtually useless. You MIGHT put them into a high volume precontest workout where you need to bring up pecs, if you have good genetics and recovery abilities, are very advanced and taking anabolic/androgenic steroids.

flat and decline bench with dumbbells or barbells and weighted chest dips are the way to go for the sternal head. Then an equal amount of incline for the clavicular. Lack of development on the clavicular head makes your chest look awful.

The other advantage to these better chest exercises is excellent development of the anterior delts and the triceps. Not to mention pectoralis minor and the serratus anterior.

standAPART
Rookie
Rookie

Post by standAPART » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:23 pm

Ironman wrote:
The other advantage to these better chest exercises is excellent development of the anterior delts and the triceps. Not to mention pectoralis minor and the serratus anterior.
Pullovers hit the serratus anterior and pec minor...that is why there were known to expand the rib cage.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:42 pm

Ironman wrote:Lack of development on the clavicular head makes your chest look awful.
Sounds like you've seen my chest!

I've now crossed a mysterious, invisible line in the world of weightlifting. I've crossed over from "I don't lift for appearance, just health and strength" to "well, maybe a few inclines to try to bring up the clavicular heads." Next thing you know, I'll be agonizing over the symmetry of my tris. :lol:

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:25 am

Jungledoc wrote:Next thing you know, I'll be agonizing over the symmetry of my tris.
Yeah, I was going to mention them in your squat video, but I didn't want to make you cry.

In all seriousness, there isn't anything wrong with a little vanity, even in non-bodybuilders. It's just not something to get caught up in unless you're working out for vanity in the first place like a competitive bodybuilder. In your case, yeah, what the hell, if you can make your chest look better, that's cool...but secondary to getting the back to stop hurting, get your strength up, get healthy enough to keep doctoring those who need it for a long time. I kind of like the approach of "stick some work in at the end of the workout." Yes, after you've done your squats and deadlifts and eaten your veggies, you can have your dessert/do your curls. :)

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:51 am

standAPART wrote:
Ironman wrote:
Pullovers hit the serratus anterior and pec minor...that is why there were known to expand the rib cage.
It does just a little, but it is way more of a lat exercise. It is a PULLover for 1. It is your lats that make your arms move that way. Otherwise pullups would be a chest exercise too.

For 1 thing expansion of the rib cage is not possible and for another, how could 2 little muscles have that kind of power? Not to mention the fact that it was the 20 rep squat/pullover combo that was suppose to expand it. It has nothing to do with chest muscles. It's just mythology. Very old mythology at that.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:52 am

Jungledoc wrote:
Ironman wrote:Lack of development on the clavicular head makes your chest look awful.
Sounds like you've seen my chest!

I've now crossed a mysterious, invisible line in the world of weightlifting. I've crossed over from "I don't lift for appearance, just health and strength" to "well, maybe a few inclines to try to bring up the clavicular heads." Next thing you know, I'll be agonizing over the symmetry of my tris. :lol:
That's how I started. It didn't take long before it turned into bodybuilding.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:26 am

Two words: PERFECT PUSHUP :wink:

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:35 am

hoosegow wrote:Two words: PERFECT PUSHUP :wink:
Is that some sort of bra? Are you telling me that I should wear a bra? I didn't think my pecs looked THAT saggy! :sur:

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:38 am

pdellorto wrote: Yeah, I was going to mention them in your squat video, but I didn't want to make you cry.
Actually, I usually work out without a shirt. When I made the squat videos my first "take" was that way. I wisely thought better of it, and spared you all the pain.