yadmit's log comments

Discuss online journals with trainers and training peers

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

yadmit
Associate Member
Associate Member

yadmit's log comments

Post by yadmit » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:00 pm

Same as dubdub... feel free to comment on whatever I'm doing... open minded and open to constructive critisism, too!

t
Always tie up your shoes.

JeffD

Post by JeffD » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:06 am

Perhaps i missed something, but briefly looking over your log you seemed to have dropped your bench press poundages considerably. At one point you were doing 160x8, and now your doing 100x8. What is the reasoning for that?

yadmit
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by yadmit » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:09 am

I've changed the routine a bit... when I was doing that one it was three sets of eight... I've now switched to a high rep/low weight routine... four sets (15/12/10/8)

Also, being as this is the first week of it, I'm getting a feel for the weight and reps... so I'm trying to start with a bit lower so I don't hurt myself!

t

yadmit
Associate Member
Associate Member

Intensity Question

Post by yadmit » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:07 pm

It has been brought to my attention through a conversation with someone I may not be doing enough intensity in my first four sets. It's like making the sets one through four an extended warm up. Is there a certain percentage I should be after for the first few sets toward my goal weight on each day.

For instance, if my goal squat weight were to be 210 on heavy day, should I start with 50%/60%/70%/85%/100%, with 100% being the 210?

Would this then mean I have to KNOW what weight I want as opposed to FEELING it at the time of the workout? Sometime I think I'll aim for X weight when it actually turns out to be more.

The routine I'm doing is a 5x5 compound movement routine.

Thanks...

t

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:08 pm

Yadmit, the routine you are doing is a classic example of what Bill Starr wrote for the 5X5 in "The Strongest Shall Survive-strength training for football". I don't know about the specific %'s, but your example looks about on target. I usually go by feel knowing my scheduled top weight, and start off about 50% or lighter on the first set. It's a very light warmup. The second is a little heavier, as is the third. The concentration on these are form, getting the motor pathways firing, and speed. The fourh is heaviedr, and pretty close to top weight. It should be challenging, but not an all out effort. The fifth is all out. Something Starr recommended is after the top set, lighten up the load and hit a hard set of 8-10 reps. Said it aided in recuperation and hypertrophy. You're doing fine, just keep at it. One note though, if your top set is going to be pretty low, 4 total sets are fine. If your top set is fairly high, you could use 6 total sets. Just have to kind of feel that one out.

One more thing Yadmit. Here is a synopsis of the 5X5. Your approach is number 3 on the list.
http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/5X5.htm
Tim

yadmit
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by yadmit » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:02 am

thanks... I'll give the link a look in a bit!

t

TimD

Post by TimD » Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:38 pm

I'd be interested in seeing what that looked like. Isn't that book written b Cosgrove? He always has some pretty interesting ideas.
Tim

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:53 pm

Yadmit, are you doing routines from NROL? It sounds like you are from what a friend of mine told me he's doing...and I know he's got NROL.

If so, how is it working for you? From the log it seems like you're making progress but the routine changes enough it's hard for me to gage.

yadmit
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by yadmit » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Yup.. I've done well with them. Lost some weight and I assume some BF%. I haven't checked in a while.

Jungledoc

Ain't getting easier

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:40 pm

Nope.

I hate those days. Feels like you aren't doing any good at all. I suspect that you are doing some good, even on days like that.

It'll be better. Keep it up!

yadmit
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by yadmit » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:43 pm

Thanks!

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Hey Yadmit, I was just looking at your log entries. Looks interesting. Are you using one of Staley's routines? Just curious.
Tim

yadmit
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by yadmit » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:37 pm

Right now I'm following New Rules of Lifting by Cosgrove and Schuler. Fun stuff.

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Yeah, I like most anything Cosgrove comes up with. Going to have to give that book a look see.
Tim

yadmit
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by yadmit » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:01 pm

It's good stuff and a little outside the norm for a lot of people. Probably why I like it.