Barbell to dumbell

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

GoLdeN M 07
Novice
Novice

Barbell to dumbell

Post by GoLdeN M 07 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:23 pm

Just curious but would lifting a barbell be 10 lbs more than lifting a dumbell if u were supposed to be lifting the same weight? For example: Would one arm shoulder pressing with a 45 pound barbell be like one arm shoulder pressing 35 lbs? The barbell is longer than the dumbell (making it easier to lift with more weigh because of the balane) so u can lift 10 more pounds with it.
Muhammad

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:04 pm

Intesting question Golden. The bars on the DB's actually weigh less. but trying to lift them as opposed to a BB, wll, it might feel like more. It does for me, not sure about others. I;d like to hear how others view it
Tim

Blue_Nose
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Blue_Nose » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:14 pm

The bars at my gym weigh about 40 lbs, while the handle of a dumbbell is only 5, so that's 30 lbs difference right there, between a barbell or two dumbbells.

The stability of the barbell is what makes it easier. Physically, using dumbbells doesn't add any weight, so I'm not sure what you mean by "10 lbs more".

GoLdeN M 07
Novice
Novice

Post by GoLdeN M 07 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:29 pm

TimD wrote:Intesting question Golden. The bars on the DB's actually weigh less. but trying to lift them as opposed to a BB, wll, it might feel like more. It does for me, not sure about others. I;d like to hear how others view it
Tim
thanks. Im actually one arm BB military pressing 55 lbs so i was wondering how much i could military press with a dumbell. Probably around 45 lbs right (10 pounds less)?

And blue_nose, by 10 pounds more i ment that lifting a 45 pound barbell is like lifting a 35 pound dumbell. I was wondering if i can military press 45 lbs with a dumbell since i press 55 pounds with a barbell.
Muhammad

Blue_Nose
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Blue_Nose » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:38 pm

Well, 10 lbs might be a rough estimate, but I don't think there's a set number like that... it all depends on how developed your stabilizer muscles are, or how used you are to independent arm movements like that.

I'd go light at first, if you're unsure start at 30, or 35... it's definately a whole different ballgame when switching to dbs, which is why I prefer themto bbs.

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:55 pm

Wow, you guys have all got me confused.

You say you are lifting a barbell with ONE hand? And you are curious if you would lift 10 lb. fewer using a dumbell?

It seems to me that lifting the dumbbell is easier if you are using one hand for both.

Blue_Nose
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Blue_Nose » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:09 pm

Oh wait... one arm bb presses??? I didn't catch that the first read through. I don't think I've ever heard of that.

...in that case, though, I would think db presses would be easier.... the longer bb would require a hell of a lot of balance, so you'll probably find db presses a lot easier.

What does a one arm bb press look like?

GoLdeN M 07
Novice
Novice

Post by GoLdeN M 07 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:10 pm

haha nevermind. I'll figure it out on my own.
Muhammad

Eric
Novice
Novice

Post by Eric » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:44 pm

one arm press with a bb would seem harder than db since it is longer and the difficulty of balancing it with one hand would be greater.
i prefer using db for almost every exrx to hit all stabilizers.
rarely use a bb