Cardio

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ThorJ
former lurker

Cardio

Post by ThorJ » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:15 pm

I'm looking into burning the last layers of fat that currently hide the last two remaining "packs" of my stomach. At the moment I am unable to go to the gym mainly because pay-day has not arrived yet and I'm a little short on cash at the moment.

Seeing that I do not possess a barbell and some heavy weights I am unable to do the three fat-nuking exercises (dead, chest, squat) so I'm guessing my options are limited to heavy cardio until I get paid (unless, of course, you pros can help a neophyte out with some home-friendly exercises).

So this brings me to my actual question:

How much cardio should I do per week to see some decent results without lifting? When I say how much I mean what distance should I run for an optimal outcome and how often per week I should run (my schedule is flexible, I can run seven times a week).

Here are my vital stats:
Height: 181 cm
Weight: 72 kg (72*2,2 = weight in pounds)

I am currently on a healthy diet so no worries about that.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Great site, really helped me to build a good base-bulk when I first started out.

amivan

Post by amivan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:22 pm

Try giving HIIT a shot at your local high school track, or even better on a flat grassy field where you can run barefoot.

Or you can try the old fashioned method of fat burning, manual labor either real or simulated (http://www.revver.com/video/826693/grap ... g-complex/).

I'll put another post up when I have more time, but I'm sure someone else will provide you with more in-depth suggestions.

PS

that sandbag video is a good example of a good "buy" and it's a good alternative if you're sick of the gym (rare but it happens) or you just cant make it

ThorJ
former lurker

Post by ThorJ » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:30 pm

amivan wrote:Try giving HIIT a shot at your local high school track, or even better on a flat grassy field where you can run barefoot.

Or you can try the old fashioned method of fat burning, manual labor.

I'll put another post up when I have more time, but I'm sure someone else will provide you with more in-depth suggestions.
How should I balance the intervals between sprinting and jogging?

Casual jog for 4 minutes to warm up, sprint for a minute, jog for one min, sprint for one min etc till I feel like my lungs have collapsed?

Perhaps this is something I need to find out for myself?

Cheers again.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:30 pm

ThorJ wrote:
amivan wrote:Try giving HIIT a shot at your local high school track, or even better on a flat grassy field where you can run barefoot.

Or you can try the old fashioned method of fat burning, manual labor.

How should I balance the intervals between sprinting and jogging?

Casual jog for 4 minutes to warm up, sprint for a minute, jog for one min, sprint for one min etc till I feel like my lungs have collapsed?

Perhaps this is something I need to find out for myself?
It is.

Most interval training is done for a minumum of 15 minutes and a maximum of 30. For 15 minutes, 3 minutes of warm-up, 10 minutes alternating between sprinting and jogging, then 2 minutes of cooldown would be a starting point. You can then build to a 5 minute warm up, 20 minute sprint/jog intervals, and 5 minute cooldowns.

Don't exceed 30 minutes. If you want more intensity, up the sprint speed and lower the amount of time. if you get too winded from sprinting you can decrease the time of the sprint interval and increase the time of the jog interval - a minute s a guideline, but there's nothing magical about it.

Keep in mind that cardio of any type done without strength training will make your body more rangy in build.

Good luck, and happy training.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:51 pm

Even though you can't get to a gym, try to do some work that involves strength. Give your muscles a reason to stick around. Lifting rocks and logs, chin ups, weighted push ups, chopping wood, pushing cars, flipping tires, etc. That plus diet will cause you to lose fat more than cardio will. Mix it up. Do whatever you are not doing now.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:39 am

Also, look back in this forum. There have been a couple of similar threads in the past few weeks.

You don't have to have barbells and plates to do squats, deadlifts and presses. Use sandbags, rocks, children.

I believe that the original Tabata sets were only 4 minutes--20 seconds of intense activity followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tabata-Anythi ... &id=348486

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:43 am

As it turns out, you don't have to look far for one of those threads, as someone posted on it today. It's called "Building strength/power without weights".