On arm dumbbell pushups

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

bob

On arm dumbbell pushups

Post by bob » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:58 am

I am interested in opinions on the one arm dumbbell pushup. I watched a guy at the gym do one with his hand on the dumbbell and the other arm on the ground instead of behind the back, but the dumbell was standing up rather than flat as i have seen it done before, so there was a more acute angle. Isn't doing a pushup at that angle a contraindiction with the shoulder joints?

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:15 am

No idea what he was doing lol.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:33 am

Doing one hand high and one hand low will put more stress on the side that is high. It's a way of making the exercise harder. Usually it's done with blocks. Maybe he didn't have any.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:42 am

Yes, it definitely is harder. I suppose it shouldn't be done though unless you have strong shoulders.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:33 pm

It would probably help in making your shoulders stronger.

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:36 pm

I just found this online simply searching with google:
http://www.oxygenmag.com/main.php?page=1&id=574

If you notice, it includes the dumbbell one arm pushup and it claims to target mainly the pectoral muscles.

Just thought I would throw it out there

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:40 pm

bob wrote:Yes, it definitely is harder. I suppose it shouldn't be done though unless you have strong shoulders.
Not neciscarily, that why you start with first being able to do a pushup then progressively move your hand lower until you can do it one handed. On the other hand, you won't be able to do one handed pushups without strong shoulders AND chest in the first place.

Other than it being an ego booster there doesn't seem to be a real good use for one handed pushups in a routine (at least to my knowledge). You could easily do weighted pushups in its place.

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:43 pm

It's nice to see an article directed towards women that actually show difficult exercises. Of course looking at the author it's not surprising.

VoK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by VoK » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:07 pm

ironmaiden708 wrote:
bob wrote:Yes, it definitely is harder. I suppose it shouldn't be done though unless you have strong shoulders.
Not neciscarily, that why you start with first being able to do a pushup then progressively move your hand lower until you can do it one handed. On the other hand, you won't be able to do one handed pushups without strong shoulders AND chest in the first place.

Other than it being an ego booster there doesn't seem to be a real good use for one handed pushups in a routine (at least to my knowledge). You could easily do weighted pushups in its place.
From personal experience, I've found one handed pushups to be a great core workout. The tension throughout the abdominals and obliques is quite intense, especially when one has their legs closer together.
In addition, because of the different angle and forces involved, I feel that one handed pushups will work muscles in different ways.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:14 pm

I meant to add this guy also had his ankles crossed which probably added to the difficulty of the routine. I would think that weighted dips would be more effective than what he was doing.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Yes, the alternating dumbbell pushup is exactly how he set up except he did one side at a time. Thanks for that link! :smile:

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:20 pm

I've found one handed pushups to be a great core workout
Squats and DLs would do a better job at working the core. Ever tried doing a set of pushups with a 100lb plate on your back?
In addition, because of the different angle and forces involved, I feel that one handed pushups will work muscles in different ways.
Any time you alter the angle of an exercise muscles will always get worked a little bit different.

tyler

Post by tyler » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Weighted push ups would be better...the problem is you need someone to push down or hold the plate on your back. For those of us that are big losers and work out alone :green: like me, I might try this modification of a push up, as chest is hard to work out without barbell and bench set. I do alot of weighted dips!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:05 pm

tyler wrote:Weighted push ups would be better...the problem is you need someone to push down or hold the plate on your back. For those of us that are big losers and work out alone :green: like me, I might try this modification of a push up, as chest is hard to work out without barbell and bench set. I do alot of weighted dips!
you just strap it on with a belt. That's how I did them.

tyler

Post by tyler » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:14 pm

Like a normal pants belt?