expensive pull up bar...

Discussions concerning various equipments, accessories, homemade items, gadgets, etc used in the pursuit of fitness

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

nygmen

expensive pull up bar...

Post by nygmen » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:29 pm

http://www.getirongym.com/Default.asp?tcode=asp3&bhcp=1

I like the enginering of how it fits in the door thou...

mattk25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mattk25 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:00 pm

$30 is expensive for this? How much do pullup bars normally cost? They don't have them at my gym unfortunately. I've seen these but I've wondered if my walls were strong enough for them!

bob

Post by bob » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:24 pm

My wife bought two- one for each son. Takes about 10 minutes to put together. Comes with an allen wrench, hex wrench, and a metal wedge which sets atop the door frame to prevent the bar from slipping. I tried it and it didn't slip, but if you are tall you have to bend your knees to allow full arm lockout before pulling up. I prefer my pullup bar attached to the joists in the garage. Much better ROM since you can set the height.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:53 pm

mattk25 wrote:$30 is expensive for this? How much do pullup bars normally cost? They don't have them at my gym unfortunately. I've seen these but I've wondered if my walls were strong enough for them!
Yeah, it would be hella cheaper to bolt a piece of pipe between joists, or some other home made remedy.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:12 pm

I have a power rack these days, and there is a bar running across the top which I use now, but in the past, I just went down to the neighborhood park and used the monkey bars. I've also used the door jam. It has the added benefit of requireing a good grip to pinch grip the jam.
Do a search over on youtube for "thug workout" and you'll see a lot of good ideas on working out at the local playgrounds.
Tim

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:32 pm

Who's the monkey now Tim?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:19 pm

"Pull-up monkey" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "curl monkey."