weak wrists...needing advice here

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

uvhst3p
Associate Member
Associate Member

weak wrists...needing advice here

Post by uvhst3p » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:09 pm

hi guys! i think i have weak wrists. i know i have weak wrists. so i have been trying to do low bar position squats. my wrists hurt when i did that so i moved the bar higher so that my wrist position will be more comfortable. but that hasn't fixed the problem. my wrists feel very weak when i do exercises. even when picking up 15 lb plates with both hands, i feel that my wrists are going to break or something. how can i improve that? thanks in advance.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Re: weak wrists...needing advice here

Post by Stephen Johnson » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:27 pm

uvhst3p wrote:hi guys! i think i have weak wrists. i know i have weak wrists. so i have been trying to do low bar position squats. my wrists hurt when i did that so i moved the bar higher so that my wrist position will be more comfortable. but that hasn't fixed the problem. my wrists feel very weak when i do exercises. even when picking up 15 lb plates with both hands, i feel that my wrists are going to break or something. how can i improve that?
Do exercises for the forearms, wrist flexors and wrist extensors. Some people get adequate stimulation of this group of muscles from pulling and curling exercises, but you don't seem to be in that group. You have to work the muscles directly.

A really good exercise is the wrist roller, which can be used for both flexors and extensors
Wrist curls and wrist reverse curls are also good, since they involve bending of the wrists.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:57 am

Just a quick question, do you get any pain near to your elbows too?

uvhst3p
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by uvhst3p » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:26 am

no pain near the elbows. just the wrists really

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:57 am

if you have a baseball or softball bat or broom or even a long stick (a pvc pipe or whatever), you can work your wrists and forearms both using stability and movement. I am doing it now myself and also to help with my deadlift bar grip strength as well. When I use 70 pounds for example (my highest weight used so far..and I am only 105 pounds, 5'0 tall), I have to use a overhand/underhand grip. When I try overhand grip (even with 60 pounds or whatever), my grip wants to give out and starts going into my finger tips ready to fall.

for softball (to get quicker hands and better mechanics for hitting) and also for deadlift and other exercises that requires a strong grip, strong wrists/forearms are needed. I can hold a bat out in front of me with my hand at the knob in a front raise position with the bat head facing straight ahead, but I cannot do it at the knob if I put it in a position where the bat head is facing the right side (holding it with right hand) or left side (holding it with left hand) and my grip is only strong enough to hold in the middle (before you get to the grip tape) and almost on the grip tape.

I'm working on getting stronger..so many exercises.

FYI - doing just wrist curls and forearm curls will not give you better stability and get stronger. It may help you with the looks of getting bigger forearms/wrists, but will not help with strength. It will only help for that one movement. You have to train multiple movements with the muscle just like you do with the legs and arms. swinging a bat and holding a deadlift bar for example requires good stability (wrist and forearms are not curling the weight up or gives strength for swinging a bat). it is all about the stability. Just like your lower back, stability is important.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:55 am

caangelxox wrote:FYI - doing just wrist curls and forearm curls will not give you better stability and get stronger. It may help you with the looks of getting bigger forearms/wrists, but will not help with strength.
That simply isn't true. Forearm muscles respond the strength training no differently than any other muscle group. Stronger forearm muscles mean more wrist strength and stability just like stronger quads and hamstrings mean more knee strength and stability. Try to find an arm wrestling champ who doesn't have forearms like Popeye's.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:24 am

Stephen Johnson wrote:caangelxox wrote:
FYI - doing just wrist curls and forearm curls will not give you better stability and get stronger. It may help you with the looks of getting bigger forearms/wrists, but will not help with strength.

That simply isn't true. Forearm muscles respond the strength training no differently than any other muscle group. Stronger forearm muscles mean more wrist strength and stability just like stronger quads and hamstrings mean more knee strength and stability. Try to find an arm wrestling champ who doesn't have forearms like Popeye's.
Agreed, plus the OP states his wrists are weak, not his grip.

Looking at the OP's Journal, it's clear his diet is not the best it could be, maybe some decent recovery time would help the situation.

caangelxox

Post by caangelxox » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:07 pm

Stephen Johnson wrote:
caangelxox wrote:FYI - doing just wrist curls and forearm curls will not give you better stability and get stronger. It may help you with the looks of getting bigger forearms/wrists, but will not help with strength.

so are you saying forearm/wrist strength is different than grip strength? My problems is just fatigue in the forearms and wrists. So this may be why it didn't work for my grip strength then?

I know I can wrist/forearm curl like 8-10 pounds at the most if I wanted to hypertrophy, but when I ever do them, I do it lighter for more reps/endurance.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:41 pm

Looking at the weights you are doing, I think the problem is overall weakness more than specific wrist weakness. Adding some wrist exercises isn't going to make that much of a difference.

I'd look more into your squat. Does it hurt all the time when you squat, no matter where you put your arms? Would a wider or narrower grip on the bar help? Does varying your hold (thumbless grip, normal grip) make a difference in pain?

I'd look there first.

uvhst3p
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by uvhst3p » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:20 pm

i tried a wider and thumbless grip with the bar higher and it's now doing okay for my wrists

about the wrist pain, now, it only is for my right wrist. most of the pain comes from the right side of the wrist - i am describing the right side of the right wrist when you face your palm away from you.

i tried testing and lifted 10 lb plates with each hand and it's really only the right wrist

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:55 pm

caangelxox wrote:so are you saying forearm/wrist strength is different than grip strength? My problems is just fatigue in the forearms and wrists. So this may be why it didn't work for my grip strength then?

I know I can wrist/forearm curl like 8-10 pounds at the most if I wanted to hypertrophy, but when I ever do them, I do it lighter for more reps/endurance.
With the exception of a group of small muscles that adduct/abduct the fingers, there are no muscles in the hand. The flexion and extension of the fingers that determine your grip are controlled by the same flexor and extensor muscles in the forearms that move your wrists. Doing wrist curls/reverse wrist curls and pulling exercises without straps will increase gripping strength as the weights go up.

Forearm muscles are a lot like calves - they are worked in every exercise that involves holding a weight, and they are hard to grow unless you have the right genetics. Rather than train them for endurance - which they already get in holding weights - you should use low volume training with the most weight that you can use with proper form. That will also help with your grip - unless you're choking someone, you're not going to hold a max grip that long anyway.

For most people, those gains in gripping strength are enough. Some people (like law enforcement personnel, martial artists and arm wrestlers) need specialized training to increase gripping strength further. But I doubt if that applies to the OP.

stuward

Post by stuward » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:08 am

uvhst3p wrote:i tried a wider and thumbless grip with the bar higher and it's now doing okay for my wrists

about the wrist pain, now, it only is for my right wrist. most of the pain comes from the right side of the wrist - i am describing the right side of the right wrist when you face your palm away from you.

i tried testing and lifted 10 lb plates with each hand and it's really only the right wrist
You may have irritated a tendon or something that is causing pain. Continue to experiment with hand placement and use a thumbless grip. Your wrist will likely improve. If it doesn't see a doctor. This discussion on grip/wrist strength is fascinating and at some point you may want to add that type of training. In the meantime, rest your right arm as much as you can until it's healed.

uvhst3p
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by uvhst3p » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:47 am

stuward wrote:
uvhst3p wrote:i tried a wider and thumbless grip with the bar higher and it's now doing okay for my wrists

You may have irritated a tendon or something that is causing pain. Continue to experiment with hand placement and use a thumbless grip. Your wrist will likely improve. If it doesn't see a doctor. This discussion on grip/wrist strength is fascinating and at some point you may want to add that type of training. In the meantime, rest your right arm as much as you can until it's healed.
so stu, should i not lift weights until i feel that my right wrist is healed?

i just noticed this today, my right wrist also bothered me when i carried the groceries. maybe i really irritated a tendon or something.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:16 am

Anshan wrote:so stu, should i not lift weights until i feel that my right wrist is healed?
Okay, I'm not stu! I'm sure he will respond later, but sometimes you need a break. It's actually a hard thing to do, without feeling guilty that is!

Sometimes you need to rest, you're not a robot and at times your body will give you a message that say's 'hey! back off for a bit!"

Thats not to say you have to give up altogether, if you can get them, take Ibuprofen or similar and just go light on the weights for two weeks. Ice packs will help too.

Recently, I had to give up on preacher and wrist curls as it was causing some serious pain near to my elbows. I put up with the pain for 6 weeks thinking I would get stronger and it would go away!. In the end I just avoided these exercises for 4 weeks and now everything is fine and stronger than ever. Then I caught a real bad case of Flu, that put me on my back for 2 weeks, no lifting at all! I felt so bad for not lifting, but when it was over, I was back to where I was within a week and actually gained 10Lbs in Bench and Squat etc.

Just go with what feels comfortable, it will sort itself out in the end.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:00 am

I wouldn't take a break from lifting, but you may want to take a break from curls. They aren't critical to your program, and they are elbow/wrist flexor muscle exercises. Exactly the muscles on your right arm that hurt!