Shopping Advice

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Shopping Advice

Post by jeffrerr » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:39 am

Hi All,

I am off to New York City on the weekend for Halloween and was wondering if anyone knows of a good discount sports store around the city? I wanted to try to pick up a cheap new pair of Basketball shoes while I'm there! Basketball is still a relatively small market in the UK so there's not a lot of variety over here for BBall shoes!

John

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:00 am

Pretty much any shoe store or sporting store in all of NYC will have a wide selection of basketball shoes. So should most shoe departments in department stores.

Off-hand, any Foot Locker store, any Payless shoes, any Modell's Sporting Goods should have a wide selection of basketball shoes.

Discount, though....aahhh....NYC is pretty expensive. Lucky for you there is no sales tax on shoes in NYC though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxe ... s#New_York

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:09 am

Thanks Pete!

I'm staying in Secaucus NJ so may need to look around the area for cheaper offerings! I was hoping there might have been a Factory Outlet area or something so I might need to wait til I get back to Australia for something cheap! It's 1 month today until I set foot back in Aus!

Cheers,

John

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:26 am

There is a factory outlet mall in Secaucus:

http://www.secaucus.org/shopping.html

Go nuts, man. I can't recall if NJ charges sales tax on shoes. If so, it's 7%.

You know Secaucus isn't that far of a drive from DeFranco's*, and I think there are a few good gyms there as well.

* But they don't do drop-ins, so unless you're around long enough to justify paying for 6 sessions...

jeffrerr
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by jeffrerr » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:54 am

I'm only there for the weekend, but if I had time DeFranco's would be awesome to see! Probably won't get a chance though, too uch to see and do in NYC! I checked your link and I'll be staying 1 mile away from the Harmon Cove Outlet Centre! Thanks for the link man, will give us heaps more time to see NYC sites because we can shop so close to the hotel!

Cheers,

John