Compound for some, isolation for others?

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

tyler

Compound for some, isolation for others?

Post by tyler » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:38 am

Does anyone here get better results with compound movements for the bigger muscles, and better results with isolation for small muscles? Like- compound for legs and chest and back, and isolation for arms? That seems to be the only way I can put any mass on my arms...I wonder if anyone else is the same.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:48 am

I do almost all compound with a little auxillary work for joint health. From everything I have read, you have to put on 10 pounds of muscle, throughout your entire body, to get one more inch on your arms. It sounds weird, but you have to do compound movements to get your arms to grow. I hardly ever do isolation arm work. In fact the only time I do it is when I have some extra time at the gym and I am bored yet my arms continue to grow. I haven't done specific isolation work on my arms other than once every few months for years. I still have over 20" inch arms.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:02 pm

Yeah, what Hoosegow said about adding weight all over. But actually, the only isolation I've seen affect the arms are the biceps curls, IG you can call Hammer Curls or Barbell culs isolation. Alsi, for my tris, all regualr presses work, but in particular, elbows in P bar dips and close grip bences seem to be the best, but then those are not isolation. Spme swerar by tri extensions, but they've never really done much for me.. But do what you nee to do, if arm size is your thing.
Tim

tyler

Post by tyler » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:50 pm

I got hardly any bicep growth till I added underhand chins and curls. And tri exts really helped for tris too. I don't mind doing them...sort of like a good way to end a workout, so I don't leave with my heart still pumping. LOL. Once I get someone to take a pic...I am gonna put a pic of me up from a couple of months ago again, and a current one, and see what u guys think.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:28 pm

Removed
Last edited by hoosegow on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:31 am

Dude, Friends don't let friends drink and post.

Between this and the conspiracy theories, WTF!?

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:39 am

You want to post pictures of your body on a website for a mostly male audience to look at?? What do you want us to say?? Tel you, you look hot!!!

Seriously!!! If that's what you want i think you may be on the wrong website!!!

That should be better.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:14 am

Sheesh! Hoosegow and Knob, that's pretty harsh. The kid's worried about how his gunz look. It wouldnt be the first time that someone posted a photo here to get opinions about "am I too fat?," "do I need to bulk," or "do I need to work on my chest more?" Its not what I'm interested in, and it may even seem a bit silly to me, but this is a site that caters to people involved in all forms of weight training, and that includes body building. I'm capable of clicking on to other threads if one doesn't interest me.

If a kid asks about a particular muscle group, it's not necessarily off topic, and it certainly doesn't mean he's gay, and even if he is, how does that affect his right to participate in an exercise forum? I mean sheesh!

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:18 am

I haven't had a drop to drink in a while Ironman, though perhaps I should.

Removed

As for the conspiricy theories, I'm not 100% they are just theories. There is too much stuff out there that makes sense, but I appreciate the concern. I'm not crazy I swear. The aluminum foil underpants keeps me sane.
Last edited by hoosegow on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:35 am

I'm only winding him up, i understand and can sympathise with what he means. I was only trying to show how those comments/questions could be misconstrued.

I ask my girlfriend, do my arms look bigger? Is my posture better? etc etc.

Asking strangers on the internet though, that's another level.

Doc, i though you'd get my sarcasm??

tyler

Post by tyler » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:26 pm

Fine...I've seen others do it, but guess I'm not welcome. It wasn't meant as a gay reference either. I just wanted an honest f%@$ing critique.

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:35 pm

There's nothing wrong with posting a picture for critique purposes. I just think some are afraid this is going to turn into a T-Nation "rate my physique" type circus.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:36 pm

For what it's worth, check my journal. The workouts I get now from my trainer mix in isolation and compound exercises. The compounds are the core work, but there are arm and shoulder isolation exercises included to round it out.

For example, yesterday I did thick-grip chinups and dumbbell bench pressing, but I also did some zottman curls to finish off the workout. The isolation stuff is almost always last, it's not a heavy emphasis. If you think you'd benefit, I'd add it at the end of your workout...more like a finisher than anything else.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:24 pm

Proper Knob wrote:I'm only winding him up, i understand and can sympathise with what he means. I was only trying to show how those comments/questions could be misconstrued.

I ask my girlfriend, do my arms look bigger? Is my posture better? etc etc.

Asking strangers on the internet though, that's another level.

Doc, i though you'd get my sarcasm??
Nope. There was no clue there to sarcasm. Sounded like a straight-on flame.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:42 am

Ok Hoosegow was already pushing it. But knob, that's way out of line. We don't have to be totally nice to everyone all the time. You can speak your mind here. But there is no flaming allowed here. I'm not going to let this place get silly. It's not going to turn into lookatmygunz.com/forum/fags.php or anything like that. It's also not going to turn into pointlessflamewars.com/forum/assclown.php or 13yearoldsthatcalleachotherfags.org which is probably some kind of support group. So knock it off already.