Deadlifting question

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Pauly420
Novice
Novice

Deadlifting question

Post by Pauly420 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:25 pm

For the life of me while doing any form of deadlifting i have a bad habit of arching my back, i have had countless trainers at the gym tell me im going to get injured. Do they make weight belts specifically for keeping your back straight during DL's? I have gone away from doing it because my technique is horrid and i end up doing 90% of the work with my back rather than my legs.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:37 pm

A belt won't do it, you are going to need to get your back stronger.

What lower back exercises can you do with your back in the right position?

You might try back extensions or practice your DL form with a flat back and light weights.

All a belt does is give you something to tighten your abs against, not really support your back.

Pauly420
Novice
Novice

Post by Pauly420 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:56 pm

Ok so maybe its because im sacrificing form for weight and should drop back down in weight and try to correct my form? I guess when i started lifting i figured it was indeed a back exercise and didnt really care about how i got the weight up, just wanted big numbers. Ill try lowering it thanks.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:41 pm

If you can't do ANY lift with good form, don't try to do it at all.

You should definitely go down to whatever weight you can lift with good form, probably at high reps of a while at first. When you DL, it's important to tighten your "core" muscles. That's what stabilizes and protects your back. Take a deep breath, like you're trying to pull the air down into your belly. Force your belly out as you inhale. Then hold your breath, and squeze your belly and low back as tightly as you can. Lift your chest and pull the weight up. It's OK to start letting breath leak out slowly as you lower the weight, but keep your abs tight.

If your personal trainer is watching, he or she will give you a lecture on the evils of the Valsalva manuver. Nod and smile, but keep holding your breath through the DL.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:47 am

check you ego at the door and learn how to lift the weight correctly. Try visualizing pushing the earth away from you with your heels rather than pulling the weight up from the earth.

TheHeb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TheHeb » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:45 pm

A better understanding of the lift might help:

http://journal.crossfit.com/2006/11/a-n ... sis-of.tpl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

I find Coach Rippetoe very easy to follow. Hopefully this, along with what the others recommend, will help.