Oly lifts and twitching

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Jungledoc, Ironman, stuward

Oly lifts and twitching

Post by Amuary » Thu May 11, 2006 4:54 am

has anyone ever performed Oly lifts with Dumbells and what do you think?(crossfit style) also i ve been doing alot of explosive full body excercise and have found that i twitch after ive finished . Is this my nervous system at work or should i be worried?

thank you

In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Thu May 11, 2006 6:27 am

Hi. I've been doing the O lifts with DB's both 1 and 2 handed for years, and have recently been doing a lot of crossfit. I love the stuff. As to the "twitch", well, I do on occasion, and attribute it to the fast pace, highly intense nature. IMHO, it's fairly natural.

Post by Hoister » Thu May 11, 2006 11:13 am

I don't think you should be concerned. I frequently get the twitch thing too - especially with the first intense workout of this kind after a layoff.

Example - my last workout was almost exclusively 1-handed oly type stuff - i twitched a bit afterward for hours.

IMHO - Oly lifts whether 1 handed or 2 handed with DB's are great and should be a staple in one's regular programs.

Post by Mog16 » Thu May 11, 2006 1:55 pm

what kind of weight percentage (compared to barbell weights) would one one to use when doing DB oly? I recently 'discovered' oly lifts and LOVE them because of the sweat I get when I do them.

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Thu May 11, 2006 2:27 pm

It depends, since Olympic lifts are mostly powered from the lower body, you still get to use the main force behind the barbell lift in the dumbbell lift.

I would start light and work up. Depending on how good your olympic lifts are, I think this would make a difference also.

For instance, if you are snatching 300 lb, I find a 150 lb dumbbell snatch unlikely but if you are snatching 160lb, 80 lb might be on the menu.

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Fri May 12, 2006 2:45 pm

I've never "twitched" after a workout, but I have had muscles shake involuntarily from fatiuge. I used to get this a lot, especially in smaller muscles like calves and forearms, back in high school, when I used a lot more sets than I do today.

I've also had the phantom sensation of peddling after a day of bike riding, or paddling after a day of canooing. I don't know why this happens.

Post by zeratum » Fri May 12, 2006 7:32 pm

I notice twitching sometimes. This week I've been buying a protein drink at the store post workout because I don't have any whey and I notice when I sign the receipt my handwriting is even more terrible than normal because my hand is trembling. Especially on leg day.

Post by Merc82nd » Tue May 16, 2006 7:08 am

Thats just fatigue setting in on your body, dont be to worried, just try to get something to eat or a shake after your lifts to replace the lost glycogen. I used to get the "twitch" all the time and it freaked me out, but I noticed it was attributed to really intense lifts or extreme fatigue.
Don't forget to swim! You'll thank me later in life...