Pills to help flatulence / farting

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

DeFlux
n00b
n00b

Pills to help flatulence / farting

Post by DeFlux » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:33 pm

Its got to the point where my girlfriend is sitting beside me asking me to buy pills for the flatulence problems.

Its a routine cycle that occurs when i take a protein shake before or after a meal that my stomach produces these stinking farts.

Does anyone know what i can take to help with this?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:39 pm

Ah hahahahaha. Maybe the funniest serious post ever or possibly the worst troll attempt ever. Just tell your old lady that it is the sweet smell of self improvement.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Is this only when you use protein shakes?

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:07 pm

Dude don't you watch TV? Take beano before meals, and there'll be no gas ;). LOL.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:28 pm

Rucifer wrote:Dude don't you watch TV? Take beano before meals, and there'll be no gas ;). LOL.
There is no protein digesting enzymes inside of beano so that won't work, beano is for the digestion of carbs.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:14 am

If it is not from the carbs in the meal, and it only happens when you have the protein shake, then you are taking in too much protein. Which if that is the case I wonder how much you are taking in. Do you have 2 scoops, eat a bunch of meat for dinner and then have 2 more scoops? That's about the only way I could imagine doing that. Either that or you have 3 or 4 scoops in one go.

I'll tell you what does it too me. fibrous veggies and sugar alcohols. A little gasx helps.

daniel4738

Post by daniel4738 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:20 am

Also, do you use milk with the shake?

I found that I got nasty problems when eating too many eggs and too much milk.

Also, when I eat starchy carbs.

DeFlux
n00b
n00b

Post by DeFlux » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:27 am

It's only when i take i take a protein shake which is one a day, with milk. The days when i dont have one i don't have the problem.

I take about 75g of it in a shake so thats about 3 scoops. However that is due to my growing hatred for the shakes that i put it all in one shake a day. I couldn't take it without milk, taking it with water would make me gag!

Never heard of Beano? I'm from the UK so maybe its not sold here!

I had pasta last night and i took the shake two hours before it. Although its not only with high carb dinners that it does this to me.

Maybe i could go to holland & barret and see what they have for this? The girlfriend HATES it & to be honest it is embarassing at times :red:

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:01 am

Umm 75g is a little excessive and with 24 fl oz of milk. No wonder your having digestive issues.

daniel4738

Post by daniel4738 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:19 am

I would also add that its probably the carbs which are makign the 'air' and something associated with sulphur in protein shakes which makes them smell. Top that off with a load of milk which you could have a slight intolerance to and basically ... you stink!

If you dont like the shake without milk, try adding a scoop of peanut butter.

Also, your body probably cannot digest 60g of protein so you could decrease the amount a little.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:23 am

1/2 milk 1/2 water, take 30g of protein at once or less until the gas goes away and/or take enzymes. PB as stated above may work to slow down digestion.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:46 am

Even I would say that's excessive, and I take 40-50g per shake, with water. To be honest, even 50g is technically, according to most sources, excessive. I just gradually edged up to that amount with no negative effects so stuck with it. What's interesting is that my training partner is the same (50g shakes). However, one of our friends started training with us, complete newbie. He bought a shaker and at the end of the work out when we were mixing our shakes, he asked "how many scoops?", both me and training partner, without thinking, said, "five". about half an hour later he felt very sick, I think he was sick actually, can't remember. When he takes 3 scoops, he's fine.

It's not uncommon to be unable to stick shakes made with water. I used to be like that, so did my training partner. I just bit the bullet and made myself tolerate it (it's not any worse than eating a can of tuna on it's own, things like that - just knock it back and forget about it). My training partner started making them with 'half milk, half water' then decreased the milk and increased the water over a couple of weeks until it was just water.

I would advise you do a little trial and error i.e. drop the shake down to 20g. The sort-of-universally-agreed-absorption limit is 30g, so 20 would play it safe, if it works, edge up to 30. TRY and drink it without the milk as well.

Also, if you're using that body fortress stuff from Holland & Barret, I would advise changing it. It's one of the worse tasting supps out there. Also, my training partner can't stomach that stuff, literally. Don't ask me why. He's fine with Reflex, though.

KPj

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:29 am

My father has a slight intolerance to lactose. Doc has him take lactase before taking any dairy, and it seems to work for him, but his volume of dairy isn't even close to what your protein shake is. Might consider it though.
Tim

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:23 pm

TimD wrote:My father has a slight intolerance to lactose. Doc has him take lactase before taking any dairy, and it seems to work for him, but his volume of dairy isn't even close to what your protein shake is. Might consider it though.
Tim
I was thinking of lactose intolerance as well. I had a bud with it. And uhh...needless to say it caused him the same probs.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:32 pm

Welcome to eating for size. I know I'm hitting the right amount of protein a day when the trumpets start to play, and I'm going over when I'm clearing a room.

Protips:

Less scoops

Try blending in some Oats (worked magic for me in gas reduction)

Lactade (It tastes funny compared to regular milk, but I hadn't drank milk in 5 years, so Lactade was like gods sweet nectar to me.)

Farts are funny. Enjoy natures humor.

You'll never find a chick that is okay with it, unless she is an accompaniment wind section, so don't do it in bed, and try not to crop dust too early in the morning. Otherwise toleration should come with time, and results from the food causing the issue.

I don't know, maybe I'm way off here, but ever since I've been trying to eat for size (not totally working with long work hours, high stress, low sleep, and little gym time) I've been breaking wind like second nature. Sometimes they are odorless, sometimes, I clear the room. I just thought that is what happened when you eat to get big...