I am curious as too people's...

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

Rucifer

I am curious as too people's...

Post by Rucifer » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:14 pm

Workout routines on here. I've pretty much been an upper/lower split type guy for the last, oh I don't know, while, but I decided recently (as in today was the first time I did it) switched to a full body routine. I am just kind of curious as to what the people dishing out advice on here are doing. Some people give out great advice, then don't follow it themselves (a lot of docs, for instance).

I'll admit I'm biased towards the upper/lower workouts, as those have given me the most satisfaction in the past...but mostly due to time constraints I decided to go full body 3 times a week. And change is good too. But I doubt any of the real lifters here have chest days...arm days...etc...from what I've been reading.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:17 pm

I do Westside for Skinny Bastards, usually structured as two full-body workouts a week to fit around my MMA schedule. I'm in the workout logs if you want specifics.

wilburburns

Post by wilburburns » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:59 pm

I'm doing Mark Rippetoes Starting Strength routine and I am also keeping a log here on the Forum.

Unfortunately, my schedule has not allowed me to actually get to the gym and workout in the past week or so...

Cliff

stuward

Post by stuward » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:22 pm

Lately I've been hitting the gym 5 times a week when I can. I'll split upper/lower with an GPP day in the middle. Usually I start with a warm up of sit ups and back extensions, then do a few sets of DB snatches. Then 2 opposing compound exercises and follow that up with a finisher like Turkish getups or farmers walks. If it's a week that I can't get to the gym much, like a week that I'm on the road, I usually do a squat/push/pull workout.

Gantz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gantz » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:16 pm

upper/lower split. i have to take advantage of the weekends cause school is so hectic on the weekdays. though i would do full body if i could manage the time.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:52 am

I do an upper lower split - 2 days lower, 2 days upper, and like Stuward I try and do some GPP in between - I aim for 2 days, but don't often get 2 of them done.

I have no problem switching to a full body routine if I can't make it to the gym as much. Mostly, though, I don't know in advance if I can't make it, so it quite often works out as 1 upper body day, 1 lower body day, and one full body. Sometimes I just do 2 'lowers' and 1 'upper'. If, on a rare occasion I can only train twice per week, I do full body but I normally need to change it 'on the go' so it normally works out kind of strange - one lower, one upper, one full body etc...

I prefer an upper/lower split to anything else i've done. I wouldn't say it was better than other splits, I just prefer it.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:52 am

My basic plan is to do 1 lower body, one push and one pull each day. These alternate from day to day, and the selection changes every 6 weeks. Most days I add some specific core work and one isolation lift. I think Turkish Get Ups are a lot of fun. I also have a journal if you want to see how consistent I am (missed today :red: ).

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:20 am

My workouts are based on full body. ICurrently I'm running two separate schedules on strength (ME). I follow the ME work with GPP which is generally some quick DB circuits/complexes/hybrids or anything of that nature, I do ME work generally 2, maybe 3 X week, GPP 4-6 days week depending on how I feel. The GPP is full body, but definately has different focuses on a daily basis. It's similar to the METCON stuff over at crossfit.The 2 ME schedules are
A
Squat
Incline Clean Grip Bench Press
B.
1. Strength complex
1 Power Clean + 3 Presses + 2 Push presses + 3 Front Squat
2. RDL's

OK, that's how I train. But remember, my goals are different than yours. I'm a 60 year old, more concerned with overall conditioning and maintaining my strength while keeping actual body mass at a minimum. I', rather stocky anyway, so adding a ton of muscle at my age doesn't appeal to me.

Now, in your case, I'm not sure, but from what I've picked up on in your posts, your more into overall being a bit bigger and stronger, leaning maybe towards bodybuilding. That's fine, that's your goal. You should still focus primarily on the main compound moves for total stimulation and strength but as you progress and become intermediate, then breaking it up and adding a greater variety of exercises, be it compound or isolation, is fineUpper / lower is a tried and true method which goes back a long way. Just remember to do a basic compound move, then follow up with an auxilliary move. I even think that push/pull/squat is a good 3 way split, but would reserve that for advanced bodybuilders or Powerlifters who break up their training into squat, deadlift and bench press. I don't care much for splits based on bodyparts. The body was made in one piece, it works in one piece, so why not train it that way, rather than just ending up with a collection of bodyparts?
Just my .02.
Tim

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:24 am

Optimized Volume Training, with maxouts once a month or so.

Wouter
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Wouter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:57 pm

Just started doing the original westside for skinny bastards.
Before that I did some full-body training schemes of my own making.

Rucifer

Post by Rucifer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:38 pm

Hey thanks for all those who replied so far! Good insight and was exactly what I was looking for. I must say TimD that you sorta of have me nailed down. But I have been trying to stay away from isolation as much as possible (chins instead of curls, close grip bench instead of tri exts, squats instead of leg exts, etc etc). I guess my goal is too look like a guy from 300. Vain? Yes. But just being honest. They look defined all over though, not just in their arms or their chests. Which is something I wouldn't want to be. I've gotten my body fat down pretty low but still have some work to do. Then a bit more muscle should do it. The good thing about doing full body is you generally don't have time to mess with isolation exercises, so hopefully I won't be caught in the line of guys curling in front of my mirror at the gym. LOL.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:45 pm

I read somewhere that a certain amount of computer-enhancement was applied to the physiques in 300. Hard to apply in real life. :lol:

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:43 pm

I vary my workouts. Frequently I design them much in the style of Chad Waterbury. I pair exercises, especially antagonistic ones. I do lower reps, very heavy. My total reps are much like a 5X5, but I may do 3 one set and 8 on another. I lift fast. I do virtually all free weights and mostly compound. I'll do a horizontal push/pull and squat then vertical push/pull and deadlift quite a bit. I change it around a lot though.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Lately, I've been doing an odd upper-lower split that I came up with on my own. It consists of 4 different workouts, two lower and two upper. However, I only lift three days a week (Sun/Tue/Thu), so I end up doing each workout 3 times every 4 weeks. Meanwhile, the first workout of the week is always my heavy workout.

Workout A = BB Squat and DL or SLDL
Workout B = Bench, BB Row and DB Snatch
Workout C = OH Squat and BB High Pull
Workout D = MP, Chin-up and Rear Delt Row

Week 1 - Sun A (heavy)/ Tue B(medium-light)/ Thu C(medium-light)
Week 2 - Sun D (heavy)/ Tue A(medium-light)/ Thu B(medium-light)
Week 3 - Sun C (heavy)/ Tue D(medium-light)/ Thu A(medium-light)
Week 4 - Sun B (heavy)/ Tue C(medium-light)/ Thu D(medium-light)
Repeat

Heavy = 1-3 reps
Medium = 5 reps
Light = 8-12 reps

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:39 am

i do a routine i call the timward on account of it being suggested by two members of this forum. I alternate between two days

Day A:
Squat
Bench
Row

Day B:
Deadlift
Push press
Chins/pull downs

reps are kept low and weight heavy, pretty much the same as what ironman said. I also throw in a tiny but of external rotation stuff every day to counteract a slight postural issue i have