One arm overhead lift challenge

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, jethrof

manofsteel1385
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by manofsteel1385 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:10 am

Going to new gym today and seeing what dbells they have cant wait to join this although I'm sure I'm a little behind but I'll get to it you guys are all awesome... can't wait.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:30 am

I don't know about the handle thickness thing, but before I got my Oly DB handles to fit my existing weights, I just used a regular O bar or whatever else was available to add weight. Yes, the balance is a factor, but the looks you get from doing 1 hand BB work is priceless.
Tim

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:44 am

TimD wrote:I don't know about the handle thickness thing, but before I got my Oly DB handles to fit my existing weights, I just used a regular O bar or whatever else was available to add weight. Yes, the balance is a factor, but the looks you get from doing 1 hand BB work is priceless.
Tim
I'm intrigued about doing it with a BB. Is there a recommended progression to the BB version, or is it just a case of 'getting to it' ?

I lap up the strange looks I get in the gym, and I think one handed OH work with a BB would top most of the strange things i've done!

I've done suit case DL's quite a lot, but one arm BB snatch will be a different beast.

KPj

EDIT: I forgot to mention - the DOMS i have in my Lats from doing DB snatch is pretty brutal 9still very sore today, 2 days later). It's as if I went in and done a dedicated Lat workout with loads of stuff i've never done before. Good to know the lats must be doing their job, I think they're underrated in their involvement in movements outside of pull up variations.

Blue Running Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Blue Running Man » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:01 am

I can only imagine the looks you would get doing BB one hand lifts at my gym. People would freak out!

I can't believe the ignorance that some people at my gym have. The other day I had a couple people walk directly behind me, during a pull. Don't they realize that there is a strong possibility that I will drop this weight, or need to take a step back?

I also have never been to a gym where so many people leave their weights lying around. Seriously, I'll get to the gym today and I guarantee the leg press, a squat rack, and several of the hammer strength machines will be loaded up and no one around. Not to mention the plates lying on the ground and totally out of order on the tree. There are signs everywhere, that say, put your weights away. No one seems to care.

stuward

Post by stuward » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:09 am

I tried a one hand snatch with an empty bar the other day just to see what it was like. I don't have much space so I wouldn't want to do it with any weight on the bar. It's hard enough try to control a crashing dumbbell. I don't know about strange looks. I assume everyone thinks I'm strange anyway. :)

For what it's worth, I got 80 with both hands today. Still haven't been able to get 85 up.

Blue running man, try dropping a dumbbell once in a while. People will give you more space.

TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:46 am

KPJ- no real progression, or at least not one that I followed. Just do yourself a favor. Start from the hang, and make sure you have your hand centered correctly around the midpoint, and mark it w/tape or something so that you have a balance point. One other tip, if you are doing them off the floor or low hang, to get a center grip, your body will be offset to the opposite side your picking up with your hand. I know that's clear as mud, but your body will be offset from where you would stand to do a normal two hand Oly pull/lift.
Tim

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:34 pm

Thanks Tim. I'll give it a shot at the end of some training days this week and see how it goes, with an empty bar and from the hang position.

KPj

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:18 pm

hit a set of 5 at 27.5 kilos. Well on for my target of 5 at 30k. Once i get to 30k that's it for me, those are the heaviest dumbells my gym has. Ho hum

manofsteel1385
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by manofsteel1385 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:45 pm

Hmmmm I didnt do a single arm but my first snatch ever was 110 lbs with both hands on a barbell and it was easy as hell im pumped!! will post when ever i do more!!

stuward

Post by stuward » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:04 am

New article that is relevant to this challenge.

http://www.dennisrogers.net/articleview.php?uid=8

KPj

Post by KPj » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:49 am

I messed around with the one arm BB snatch last night at the end of my work out. It was actually easier than i thought it would be. I done it from the hang position, though. Quite liked it. Couldn't help putting 10kg /20-ish lbs on the bar.

I think i'll train this next.

KPj

Blue Running Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Blue Running Man » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:46 pm

90x3.

My left side is my weak side. It's the grip.

I really like this exercise, it's like the definition of total body.

I'll try 100 next week.

Any tips for my power clean? I feel like the bar speed is to slow for the first 4-6 inches of the pull.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:32 am

I just realized that my guy doesn't have 105 lb dumbbells. They skip from 100s to 110s. Anyway, I'm changing my goal 2-3 reps each arm with a 95.

KPj

Post by KPj » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:08 am

Done it again on sat. 2 reps per side with 97lbs/44kg. Then another 3 sets of 1, per side. I did attempt another set of 2 and was confident but I just flopped. You feel like such a failure when you don't make this lift lol.

When I started this lift, I felt my left side was weaker. However, at this session, my right side was weaker. Probably due to doing it second. I reckon both my sides are very even in strength and I just name the left as my weakest because of the previous injury to that shoulder.

I can tell I need to work on the catch/getting under it. Looking back, what I should of done on Saturday was the hang snatch, and just work on blasting it up and catching it. That would of set me up much better for going heavier this week. I'm going to try and get some from the hang position on Tuesday, then test from the floor on Saturday to try and get that 50kg DB up, but it may be too little too late to get those 50's up this week.

KPj

Blue Running Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Blue Running Man » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:05 pm

Tried the 100's yesterday, and failed. the bell is so large, that I find it's glancing off my leg/pants and slowing the speed. Maybe I should try it with the DB horizontal instead of vertical.

I should have gone with the 95's instead. I'll try those next week and see how it goes.