Dips, handle angle

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Blue Running Man
Novice
Novice

Dips, handle angle

Post by Blue Running Man » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:38 pm

My gym has a station for dips and pullups/chins. Which is nice, except the dip handles are not parallel with the ground. They are angled up. So when you are on them, your put into a slight more forward position. I've never seen another tower with angled handles like this, and I do find them to be awkward, and put slightly more stress on my shoulder than parallel handles.

Is there any benefit to handles like this?
Is my concern of increased injury risk valid?

dale2177
Novice
Novice

Post by dale2177 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:56 am

Without seeing the dip station it's hard to say but i have seen ones where the dip handles bolt on to the main structure, is it possible they have been fitted wrong and are supposed to be angled outwards?

I was under the impression that dip bars are always parrallel to the ground and to focus on the inferior pec you create the torso angle yourself and use a diagonal grip, Am sure the guys on here can shed more light but i would be careful with overstrecthing the shoulders on this i suffered a bit of a strain myself after some careless weighted dipping!

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:27 am

Yea I think they are on wrong.

Blue Running Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Blue Running Man » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:09 pm

The handles are wielded on to the base structure. I don't think it was assembled incorrectly. I'll try and find a picture.

If I had to guess, I'd say the angle is around 10-15 degrees.

Blue Running Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Blue Running Man » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:24 am

Hammer Strength Dip/chin tower. Here is a picture of the bar. Let me know what you think.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:12 pm

Blue Running Man wrote:Hammer Strength Dip/chin tower. Here is a picture of the bar. Let me know what you think.
I'm not all that crazy about the design of the apparatus - the chinning attachment doesn't look that good either. But if that's what's available, you have to make do with it.

Blue Running Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Blue Running Man » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:49 pm

yes, I don't like it much either. The worst part is that it's not bolted down, and I've seen it tip on more than one occasion.

If someone is doing chins or dips, and you just push it a tiny bit towards them, it tips over.

There is one other option for dips, the assisted dip/chin station. I can move the knee support and use those handles.

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:50 pm

Blue Running Man wrote:...

If someone is doing chins or dips, and you just push it a tiny bit towards them, it tips over.

Get some yellow tape and wrap it up. Post signs to keep away from it.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:03 pm

stuward wrote:
Blue Running Man wrote:...

Get some yellow tape and wrap it up. Post signs to keep away from it.
I agree. I'm surprised that your gym has such a high risk piece of equipment on their floor - it's an invitation for a lawsuit. Are you happy with your gym overrall?

dale2177
Novice
Novice

Post by dale2177 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:42 pm

This might be a silly question, but are you facing inwards towards the machine or outwards with your back to it? Either way i agree that it does look a bit dodgy and best avoided!

Blue Running Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Blue Running Man » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:37 pm

The first time I tried to use it, I tried it both ways. I too, wasn't sure if I should be facing in or out. Facing it is definitely the right way.

I've talked with the owner, and expressed my concern that the tower isn't secured to the floor. He seemed concerned, but it hasn't been fixed yet.

The rest of my gym is great, Could use more open floor space, but the other equipment is great. No other complaints.