Barak - expectations revisited

Off topic discussions. Feel free to talk about anything here.

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Mon May 04, 2009 8:58 pm

im not american but if i was, then id vote for ron paul.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon May 04, 2009 9:04 pm

You have no idea of how many of us out here in the US think like you. With all the support he had, I really wish he had fun as a libertarian or independent. There was absolutely no way he's get on the Republican ticket.
Tim

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Tue May 05, 2009 3:45 am

I had been a supporter. But I came to see that deregulation wasn't the wonderful idea I thought it was. We are living the proof of that right now.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue May 05, 2009 5:33 am

Explain your position, please.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Tue May 05, 2009 11:03 pm

You would have to be an idiot to do what those bankers did, Sub prime mortgages. Warren buffet calls them financial weapons of mass destruction.

But i think the only regulation in the economy should be the banks, but only to a certain extent. Canada's banks are an example of good banking.

But you should watch the video of ron paul owning the federal reserve guy, its on youtube.com funny as hell!

Matt Z
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by Matt Z » Wed May 06, 2009 6:14 pm

There's a receptionist at my work who has not one, not two, but THREE pictures of Obama on her desk. Two of them are even framed.

I just don't get it. I mean I understand why some people like him, but I don't understand why so many of his supporters have such faith in the man, even before he was elected. They seem to regard him with the kind of reverence that's usually reserved for the likes of Lincoln, Ghandi and Martin Luther King Jr., and I don't understand what he's done to deserve it. Usually a person has to get assasinated to get that kind of respect.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Wed May 06, 2009 11:16 pm

Matt Z wrote:Usually a person has to get assasinated to get that kind of respect.
Foreshadowing anyone?

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Thu May 07, 2009 6:49 am

... and after three days he will rise from the grave.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu May 07, 2009 4:51 pm

"Foreshadowing anyone?" - Jebus

Well I'm not hoping that someone kills him if that's what you're suggesting.

Jebus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Jebus » Fri May 08, 2009 11:01 am

Matt Z wrote:"Foreshadowing anyone?" - Jebus

Well I'm not hoping that someone kills him if that's what you're suggesting.
it's just a joke, becuse he's part black and allot of presidents have been shot.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri May 08, 2009 10:24 pm

Just because the federal reserve and making money out of thin air are a bad idea, does not mean regulation is a bad idea. You have to save people from their greed driven stupidity.

Normally I would say let them be stupid. Let them go under. Unfortunately they would take the rest of us with them. Therefore we have to prevent that from happening.

To expand on my previous statement, deregulation allows greedy people to screw the pooch and then we have to bail them out or go down with their ship.

their rights end where mine begin. They should be prevented from having a negative impact on me.

We have spent years trying this deregulation and supply side bull$h1t. It has got us nothing but a shrinking middle class, expanding poverty, huge deficits and relentless boom and bust cycles in which only the rich are able to weather it. The poor and middle class never completely recovers before the next bust hits.

It looks like the perfect system on paper. However in practice it sucks.

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:09 pm

Has anyone else seen the television commercial where Barak Obama says it only takes a few minutes to be a dad? ..... I think he may have meant a few minutes a day, but still ... It takes a LOT more than that.

Meanwhile, it really surprised me because Obama is usually so careful about choosing his works, and this was a scripted, pre-recorded ad.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:30 am

Although i've never seen the advert and never will here in the UK, does he not mean a couple of minutes to 'become' a dad?

Matt Z

Post by Matt Z » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:52 am

No ... I think he was talking about making a difference in your kids lives ... Not making babies. ... Although the way it was worded it could have been either.

Proper Knob

Post by Proper Knob » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:08 am

I'll bow down to your better judgement.