Group muscles worked together or alternatively

Ask or answer questions, discuss and express your views

Moderators: Jungledoc, Ironman, stuward

Group muscles worked together or alternatively

Post by Eduard » Tue May 30, 2006 11:54 am

I want to set up an excercise routine and I have this question.

For example if I decide that I want to work one day the abdomen, the neck muscles, the deltoid, the pectoralis and triceps should I work each of them independetly (I work the abdomen with the full range of excercises, then the neck, then the deltoid and so on until I finish all of them) or should I group the excercises so I work the group muscles in sets (for example in a single set I work all the excercises for abs, neck, deltoid, pectoralis and triceps and then I repeat the set a couple of times until the finish of the excercise).

Which method do you think will be the most healthy for the muscles?

Post by MattZ » Tue May 30, 2006 12:02 pm

You can do either. The later is called circuit training and has some cardiovascular benefit, while the former is in better for making gains in strength and muscle mass.

Also, I would recomend training abs at the end of your workout, since they function as stabilizers while training many other areas.

Ryan A

Post by Ryan A » Tue May 30, 2006 12:08 pm

There is nothing wrong with training abs at the beginning of a workout.

They do function as stabilizers but it is important for them to have direct work as well.

If you can't train your abs for a few sets during the warm up and then go on to do heavy squat and deadlifts, you need stronger abs.